Notetaking software for tablet PC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDforMe

Not recovered...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my tablet and was playing around with OneNote... and I really dislike that there is no lasso to select text as you can in the Windows Journal. I know someone mentioned a good program for notetaking in one of the threads here at some point in the past, however, I can't seem to find it. I was just wondering if any of you who use OneNote would mind offering some suggestions as to how it is easiest to use in class. Or, if you use another program that is awesome for taking notes and keeping drawings/diagrams organized, would you be willing to share the name of it and how you use it? Right now I'm thinking I may just have to keep everything in the original handwritten form and not try to convert anything to text.-- Not that this would be horrible. It's still better than using regular paper notebooks, but I'd like to get the most out of my tablet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know of any notetaking software-onenote equivalent-for macs

IDforMe said:
I just got my tablet and was playing around with OneNote... and I really dislike that there is no lasso to select text as you can in the Windows Journal. I know someone mentioned a good program for notetaking in one of the threads here at some point in the past, however, I can't seem to find it. I was just wondering if any of you who use OneNote would mind offering some suggestions as to how it is easiest to use in class. Or, if you use another program that is awesome for taking notes and keeping drawings/diagrams organized, would you be willing to share the name of it and how you use it? Right now I'm thinking I may just have to keep everything in the original handwritten form and not try to convert anything to text.-- Not that this would be horrible. It's still better than using regular paper notebooks, but I'd like to get the most out of my tablet.

i just got my tablet as well, so i don't know for sure where you can find the tool you're looking for but i can suggest a couple of places. there is a beta version of onenote out at microsoft.com, you might find the features you want added to the newest version of onenote. the other place you might think about looking is a program called gobinder. you should be able to download a trial version for free. i haven't had the time to sit down with each program and figure out which one i like best. hope this helps at least a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
IDforMe said:

This annoyed me at first too. I have found though that OneNote's selection tool is more flexible and smarter than the lasso. You can still do the basic lasso funcion by selecting the Text tool (the little "A" on the tool bar) and clicking and dragging across what you want to select. There are also line and section based selection tools. If you haven't already, spend some time practicing with it, and definitely go through the tutorials on Microsoft's website: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/CR010565801033.aspx

I am definitely planning on leaving everything in handwritten form. I don't see any compelling reason to change it, since you can search the handwritting just like text. If you convert it to text, you'll end up spending lots of time formatting the text and correcting the few recognition mistakes.

Most of our lectures are given with powerpoint. I just import the powerpoint slides into OneNote by printing them as handouts (using the "send to OneNote" printer) and then make my notes right on top of the slides. You can do this in powerpoint too but you don't have the organizational or handwritting tools that you have in OneNote.

I'm still learning it as also, but I am definitely liking it more as get used to it. I haven't touched Journal for awhile now.

IDforMe said:

IDforMe,

I too have onenote for my tablet and used it all last year as an MSI. I found it to work very well, and much better than journal. I think getting used to its features takes time and practice (at least for me it did).
A few thoughts:
When I take notes I just leave them handwritten, and I use the insert space function to edit my organization.
When selecting multiple objects try to start your selection outside the blue box area for the main text that usually grabs them ok. Unfortunately, you cannot group them.
Under edit, turn on the snap to grid function, I have found that to be useful in organizing images and text.
Check out these powertoys for onenote, some find them useful, some don't.
Onenote Powertoys

Does your school provide an electronic copy of the notes? If so you can move them into onenote, with the send to onenote 2003 program that comes with the Microsoft Education Pack (again, downloadable from microsoft).

Oh, and the sign up for the beta version of onenote is over, it's features will be part of Office 2007, to my knowledge.

That is all I can think of right now if you have any specific questions, PM me and I will do my best to help.

Thank you all for your tips! I am certain they will make it easier to get used to OneNote. I haven't gotten all of the internet stuff up and running yet, but I will definitely be going through some of the online tutorials and loading OneNote 2007 beta. Thanks for the tip on gobinder as well. I think I will give their free download a try!