Nothing has every made me feel as insignificant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sartre79 said:
How is it that every thread eventually comes to the topic of Chuck Norris? Coincidence? I think not :D

Threads don't come to the topic of Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris decides when we're allowed to post things not pertaining to him.

Members don't see this ad.

Shane2150 said:
I am going to sound SO DUMB...but that's nothing new, so--what's an FA?

First Assistant. It's mostly in the operating room, but I basically act like a PA or a med student. Great experience. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Billy Shears said:
First Assistant. It's mostly in the operating room, but I basically act like a PA or a med student. Great experience. :thumbup:

Do you need a certification of some kind, or did you just go in there cold?

Billy Shears said:

Are you like an RNFA. I scrub and circulate in open heart surgery and slowly slipping into assisting position but our staff has to go through an eight month internship to become an RNFA. I can tell you that our RNFAs are not treated like PA/residents. They are treated like nurses. They can tie, harvest vein, close the chest but they are still treated like children. What's your experience like?

MinnyGophers said:
Do you need a certification of some kind, or did you just go in there cold?

You have to go to school. There is a lot of info on PA school, and an FA is very similar, just less autonomous. But, I have a lot of freedom.

onmywayRN said:
Are you like an RNFA. I scrub and circulate in open heart surgery and slowly slipping into assisting position but our staff has to go through an eight month internship to become an RNFA. I can tell you that our RNFAs are not treated like PA/residents. They are treated like nurses. They can tie, harvest vein, close the chest but they are still treated like children. What's your experience like?

Yeah, I'm like an RNFA. I make incisions, tie, bovie, first assist, close incisions, etc. But, I'm not treated like a nurse, I'm treated like a med student. I'm pimped pretty much every case, but it isn't in a nasty way. The surgeon will just ask what I want to do or what I think is going on, and then either agree or correct me. I get invited to play tennis and go out to eat and stuff--they treat me like an equal. It's a great environment.

Shane2150 said:
I am going to sound SO DUMB...but that's nothing new, so--what's an FA?
Fasycian Assistant, if I'm not mistaken.

jackieMD2007 said:
In all seriousness, Sartre, I feel you. I sit here at my job, thinking that if I don't get in this cycle, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!? I can only stand being here because I have a plan. Knowing that this whole apps process is a crapshoot hurts. Having no reassurance hurts. We are in this together. :thumbup:
Your situation is a bit tougher, given your husband and such, but honestly, guys, if you think you're probably going to get into med school, you will. After my sophomore year, I figured I could at least count on getting into my two state schools, and now that I'm a week and a half away from starting med school, *ta da* the two med schools I got into were my state schools (MCW and UWisc). MF'in Feinberg never let me off their waitlist.....:squint:

DoctorPardi said:
I also get the vibe that a lot of pre med advisors know less about the process than some premeds at least sdn premeds.
my advisor was good, but given what most SDNers describe about their advisors....I know a lot more than the average advisor.

TheProwler said:
Your situation is a bit tougher, given your husband and such, but honestly, guys, if you think you're probably going to get into med school, you will. After my sophomore year, I figured I could at least count on getting into my two state schools, and now that I'm a week and a half away from starting med school, *ta da* the two med schools I got into were my state schools (MCW and UWisc). MF'in Feinberg never let me off their waitlist.....:squint:

Have I told you lately that you're my hero?? :love:
Thanks for the reassurance.

notdeadyet said:
Fasycian Assistant, if I'm not mistaken.

:laugh:

TheProwler: Have you ever heard of a game called Creature Shock? Your avatar reminds me of the Metamorph in that game.

Billy Shears said:
:laugh:

TheProwler: Have you ever heard of a game called Creature Shock? Your avatar reminds me of the Metamorph in that game.
Looks like the Disturbed logo to me.

Not sure what that is, but if you look at the Creature Shock game, you'll know what I mean.