Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Nothing like a 56% block on QBank...

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Idiopathic, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    to bring a brother back down to earth. I was scoring pretty much every block in the high 70's-low 80's and really thought I rocked this one. Missed some stupid stuff that I really thought I knew. Ugh...I need a drink.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ah yes. QBank. I once got in the 40s. Oh man that sucked. :(

4. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted

Attending Physician
    I called Kaplan to see if they would delete my 44% I got early on... :D

5. :laugh:

Ah, the true mark of a gunner. ;)

6. drleopardshark

drleopardshark New Member

We all had our bad days, take it for what it's worth and move on. However, it does leave a superficial scar on our ego, doesn't it? :mad:

7. Yeah...and then you take the NBME exams online. Whew! Now THAT will bring your ego down a couple notches.

8. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    That's why I'm studying my a** off before starting QBank.

9. Good stuff. Smart. :) :thumbup:

10. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I got like a 50% on my first 50 question block on qbank...is this kinda near the area where some of you guys started? how long did it take you to see increases in your scores??

11. I started off in the low-50s (and we're talking REAL low)...and this is doing questions on the subject I just read! :( But I started doing questions around 6 weeks before the exam...just kept at it, occasionally also doing questions from BRS, BSS or Kaplan's Integrated Vignettes (a little too easy, IMHO)...the scores do eventually improve. I think, at my best, I was averaging in the low-70s.

12. andwhat

andwhat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

for which step may I ask? practice exam scores are pretty much meaningless.. the best indicator is the nbme exam supposedly..

13. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I went in blind and took a 50 question exam covering all subjects for step 1... got like 50%... i dont know if thats good or bad but there were a couple where i just guessed and got lucky

14. Tough to say, then. You could always try a few more "random" blocks, or start studying and see what happens. :)

15. MedicinePowder

MedicinePowder Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

NBME exams online WILL indeed rim you. Kaplan Q-bank can do it to you slowly if u get a nasty 50-block set, but the NBME online exam will leave you sore and feeling depressed the next day.

16. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    is it true that scoring 80% on qbank consistently correlates to around a 250 on step 1? is this a rumor or what? i've heard this from several people, all who have taken step 1 already and scored pretty high.

17. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted

Attending Physician

When should one take the NBME exams, in relation to when they plan on taking the USMLE?

18. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good luck to all who will be taking Step I this summer. Just remember, try to relax during the test. It's easier said than done, but I'm sure you all are well prepared for it. You are already well above your peers because most medical students do not get on the internet or message boards to discuss strategies, find tips, etc. So you're already above your peers by doing that!

Again, good luck to all. Post your scores when you get them (for us graduating seniors who miss the days of Step I -- ok, maybe I'm exaggerating my like for Step I a little too much!).

19. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    we have no choice here, we took micro already, and path/pharm are this week. micro was insane, it was all stuff from M1 micro, restriction endonucleases and stuff like that. it wasn't very clinically oriented at all. very very detailed.

20. Yup, I know the feeling. Took the 2 NBME online tests a few days before the real test, and boy, was my confidence destroyed! I think I slept the rest of the day in deep depression. :)

Luckily, the actual test wasn't that hard.

21. Well...it makes sense that if you're killing QBank (80%+), you're going to do very well on Step 1. As for exact numbers...who could ever tell?

If you're consistently scoring in the 80s or 90s in QBank, I'd be VERY surprised if you didn't at least score one standard deviation above the mean (last year, that would be a score of around 241/97).