Nothing like a 56% block on QBank...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
to bring a brother back down to earth. I was scoring pretty much every block in the high 70's-low 80's and really thought I rocked this one. Missed some stupid stuff that I really thought I knew. Ugh...I need a drink.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We all had our bad days, take it for what it's worth and move on. However, it does leave a superficial scar on our ego, doesn't it? :mad:

That's why I'm studying my a** off before starting QBank.

Idiopathic said:
to bring a brother back down to earth. I was scoring pretty much every block in the high 70's-low 80's and really thought I rocked this one. Missed some stupid stuff that I really thought I knew. Ugh...I need a drink.

I got like a 50% on my first 50 question block on qbank...is this kinda near the area where some of you guys started? how long did it take you to see increases in your scores??

realruby2000 said:
I got like a 50% on my first 50 question block on qbank...is this kinda near the area where some of you guys started? how long did it take you to see increases in your scores??

I started off in the low-50s (and we're talking REAL low)...and this is doing questions on the subject I just read! :( But I started doing questions around 6 weeks before the exam...just kept at it, occasionally also doing questions from BRS, BSS or Kaplan's Integrated Vignettes (a little too easy, IMHO)...the scores do eventually improve. I think, at my best, I was averaging in the low-70s.

for which step may I ask? practice exam scores are pretty much meaningless.. the best indicator is the nbme exam supposedly..

andwhat said:
for which step may I ask? practice exam scores are pretty much meaningless.. the best indicator is the nbme exam supposedly..

I went in blind and took a 50 question exam covering all subjects for step 1... got like 50%... i dont know if thats good or bad but there were a couple where i just guessed and got lucky

NBME exams online WILL indeed rim you. Kaplan Q-bank can do it to you slowly if u get a nasty 50-block set, but the NBME online exam will leave you sore and feeling depressed the next day.

is it true that scoring 80% on qbank consistently correlates to around a 250 on step 1? is this a rumor or what? i've heard this from several people, all who have taken step 1 already and scored pretty high.

MedicinePowder said:
NBME exams online WILL indeed rim you. Kaplan Q-bank can do it to you slowly if u get a nasty 50-block set, but the NBME online exam will leave you sore and feeling depressed the next day.

When should one take the NBME exams, in relation to when they plan on taking the USMLE?

Good luck to all who will be taking Step I this summer. Just remember, try to relax during the test. It's easier said than done, but I'm sure you all are well prepared for it. You are already well above your peers because most medical students do not get on the internet or message boards to discuss strategies, find tips, etc. So you're already above your peers by doing that!

Again, good luck to all. Post your scores when you get them (for us graduating seniors who miss the days of Step I -- ok, maybe I'm exaggerating my like for Step I a little too much!).

we have no choice here, we took micro already, and path/pharm are this week. micro was insane, it was all stuff from M1 micro, restriction endonucleases and stuff like that. it wasn't very clinically oriented at all. very very detailed.

MedicinePowder said:

Yup, I know the feeling. Took the 2 NBME online tests a few days before the real test, and boy, was my confidence destroyed! I think I slept the rest of the day in deep depression. :)

Luckily, the actual test wasn't that hard.

imtiaz said:
is it true that scoring 80% on qbank consistently correlates to around a 250 on step 1? is this a rumor or what? i've heard this from several people, all who have taken step 1 already and scored pretty high.

Well...it makes sense that if you're killing QBank (80%+), you're going to do very well on Step 1. As for exact numbers...who could ever tell?

If you're consistently scoring in the 80s or 90s in QBank, I'd be VERY surprised if you didn't at least score one standard deviation above the mean (last year, that would be a score of around 241/97).