Nothing Trumps An Amazing Step 1 Score - Not Harvard, Not UWash, Nothing

MikePhen2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
28
0
Status
I know a foregin medical school grad who scored in the top 1% of the test takers and he got a decent dermatology residency over many american students. That step 1 score is far more important than where you went to med school. So you can save yourself tens of thousands of dollars and skip Harvard and just study your ass off !
 

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
766
0
37
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
But can he beat the guy who went to Harvard AND scored top 1% on USMLE?
 

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
577
0
Caleefornia
Status
MWillie said:
But can he beat the guy who went to Harvard AND scored top 1% on USMLE?
:laugh:

Agreed.

Plus--what about research, public service, letters of recommendation, publications, etc...I know that the USMLE is really really important, but other factors help, no?
 

Quynh2007

the oracle of destiny
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
710
3
Status
Psychology Student
.
 
Last edited:

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
766
0
37
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Quynh2007 said:
be able to communicate with patients. no matter how great your board scores are, if your patients can't understand you, you won't get to practice in the good 'ole us of a. i know of a doctor who's learning how to speak better english so he can finally practice despite having perhaps perfect (or smidgeon near it) scores.
There's quite a few specialties with very little patient interaction.
 

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,563
5
37
Visit site
Status
Quynh2007 said:
be able to communicate with patients. no matter how great your board scores are, if your patients can't understand you, you won't get to practice in the good 'ole us of a. i know of a doctor who's learning how to speak better english so he can finally practice despite having perhaps perfect (or smidgeon near it) scores.
I mean, most FMG are actual US citizens and they had to go abroad to study... so english usually isn't the problem
 

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,563
5
37
Visit site
Status
MikePhen2 said:
I know a foregin medical school grad who scored in the top 1% of the test takers and he got a decent dermatology residency over many american students. That step 1 score is far more important than where you went to med school. So you can save yourself tens of thousands of dollars and skip Harvard and just study your ass off !
You know it's kinda crazy. I was thinking about this. most US medical schools don't put a lot of emphasis on the STEP scores. emphasis meaning they don't have a class that's dedicated fully to the test. most abroad schools have classes (kinda like our MCAT classes via TPR or Kaplan) but they have these classes that help them score above the mean. I wish more US med schools would do this. it makes a lot of sense... oh well.
 

davidus

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
166
0
Cali
Visit site
Status
virilep said:
You know it's kinda crazy. I was thinking about this. most US medical schools don't put a lot of emphasis on the STEP scores. emphasis meaning they don't have a class that's dedicated fully to the test. most abroad schools have classes (kinda like our MCAT classes via TPR or Kaplan) but they have these classes that help them score above the mean. I wish more US med schools would do this. it makes a lot of sense... oh well.
I think foreign schools do this because they have to. Otherwise, they'd have lots of trouble placing students back in the states. Domestic schools don't have this problem, so they don't.
 

eulogia228

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
51
0
Berkeley, CA
Status
Getting into a top residency isn't the sole motivating factor for attending **insert medical school here**. Is it? Aren't we also looking for the school with the right "fit?" Personally, if I ever actually get into a medical school, I'll be considering location, cost, research and EC opportunities as well as the rank and "prestige" of the school. If I'm happier attending UC Irvine med school instead of JHU (no way in hell I'm getting in, I'm just using a hypothetical), I'd attend UC Irvine.

Also, the top medical schools attract a very bright, motivated, and hard-working class. So I seriously doubt that Harvard has tons of students that do poorly on the USMLE Step I. I'm sure the students at JHU, Harvard, Wash U and the like aren't exactly fretting about residency placement.
 

MSHell

Deranged User
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
293
3
Status
Resident [Any Field]
virilep said:
You know it's kinda crazy. I was thinking about this. most US medical schools don't put a lot of emphasis on the STEP scores. emphasis meaning they don't have a class that's dedicated fully to the test. most abroad schools have classes (kinda like our MCAT classes via TPR or Kaplan) but they have these classes that help them score above the mean. I wish more US med schools would do this. it makes a lot of sense... oh well.
The NBME shelf exams are the same type of questions you'd expect to see on USMLE exams. Schools in Europe often operate by the oral exam principal where you'd be expected to talk for 5-10 mins on the structure and function of the liver for, say, a histo final. This, although comprehensive but masochistic, hardly prepares you for STEP I. And since the USMLE is a United States Medical Licensing Exam (well 3, 4 if you count 2 parts of STEP 2), it would be fair to say that ALL US Medical Schools would teach their students to pass that exam.
 

marydee

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2002
44
0
Visit site
Status
would we believe there is any correlation between mcat scores and usmle scores as in act/sat scores with mcat scores? just wondering what others think
 

thehopeful

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
312
0
Status
marydee said:
would we believe there is any correlation between mcat scores and usmle scores as in act/sat scores with mcat scores? just wondering what others think

my sat and act scores were average or just below average (what is the average for sat and act, btw.) and on the mcat i was above average. And on step 1 i'm gonna try to do even better.

so correlation????
 

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
thehopeful said:
my sat and act scores were average or just below average (what is the average for sat and act, btw.) and on the mcat i was above average. And on step 1 i'm gonna try to do even better.

so correlation????
Statistics much? Does one anectdotal deviation destroy a correlation?

The best way I've heard it described is,

"If you had to bet on who would get the higher MCAT score, would you bet on the guy with the lower SAT." If not, why? If there's no correlation, flip a coin to decide.

I know which way I'm going to go with the bet.
 

marydee

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2002
44
0
Visit site
Status
yea, yea, I get it. I didn't even know how to study when I took the sat/act. I studied my arse of for the mcat and it was totally effective. of course I plan to study for usmle but I was just wondering to myself - as in - how much will I really have to buckle down? A bunch, I know. I couldn't live with myself any other way. :rolleyes:
 

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
11,735
3
45
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
marydee said:
yea, yea, I get it. I didn't even know how to study when I took the sat/act. I studied my arse of for the mcat and it was totally effective. of course I plan to study for usmle but I was just wondering to myself - as in - how much will I really have to buckle down? A bunch, I know. I couldn't live with myself any other way. :rolleyes:
I bet there's a whole lot of cases like yours. I didn't study for the SAT/ACT, I didn't study for my first admin of the MCAT and ended up taking it three times over the past 10 years, so which correlates with which? It's not like you're destined to get a specific MCAT score, I don't mean that, but people tend to score in the same ballpark without some major change in their approach.
 

45408

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
16,976
47
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Quynh2007 said:
be able to communicate with patients. no matter how great your board scores are, if your patients can't understand you, you won't get to practice in the good 'ole us of a. i know of a doctor who's learning how to speak better english so he can finally practice despite having perhaps perfect (or smidgeon near it) scores.
yeah, those pathologists really need to understand their patients and talk to them a lot.