Genetics

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/02/13/weis.malpractice.ap/index.html

This points out how dangerous bariatric surgery is. There are serious complications in a shockingly high percentage of cases, yet more and more are performed each year.

There is a lot of debate that procedures like this are straying from the "last resort" they once were, and are performed without due consideration of the possible complications of the surgery, the special dietary needs after surgery, and addressing the underlying psychological and physical causes of obesity.

rockinthemullet

Dig the hair?
10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/02/13/weis.malpractice.ap/index.html

This points out how dangerous bariatric surgery is. There are serious complications in a shockingly high percentage of cases, yet more and more are performed each year.

There is a lot of debate that procedures like this are straying from the "last resort" they once were, and are performed without due consideration of the possible complications of the surgery, the special dietary needs after surgery, and addressing the underlying psychological and physical causes of obesity.

I hadn't heard about that, thanks for posting.

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
I knew a woman who had gastric bypass, afterwards I didnt' even recognize her...

About the Ads

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Many of the complications are from poor post-operative decisions and failure to follow the advice of their doctors and nutritionists. The choice is theirs, as is the fault for allowing themselves to become grotesquely obese. At least they are willing to do something about it.

OK, now for the $250,000 question: how does genetic testing play into this? :laugh:

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

The mortality rate for laparoscopic bariatric surgery is exceedingly low. The complication rate varies with the procedure, but is low if your surgeon is a high-volume practictioner, much like any other complex surgery.

What is making complication rates go up is the number of inexperienced surgeons who added this option to their practice as a way of offering an elective surgery that could pay them roughly $10k a pop (their cut alone). Fortunately that's leveling off -- supply has now equaled demand.

And yeah, just saw DKM's comment. If you don't follow the directions, restrain your urge to sue post-op. Although an immediate post-op bleed has about 0% probability of being the patient's fault, unless they thought they'd open up their wound and poke around in the drug haze.

remo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2005
Bailout Nation
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My surgeon friend said that this complication was one that occurs a lot and that he doubts Weis will win. According to the news report I read, the problem is that the surgeon did the case and then went out of town for the weekend. His partner covered for him and had to take Weis back to the OR and fix it. You would think the main surgeon would be smart enough not to leave town when he just operated on a high profile person like Weis (he was a coach for the Patriots at the time).

beenthere2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
My surgeon friend said that this complication was one that occurs a lot and that he doubts Weis will win. According to the news report I read, the problem is that the surgeon did the case and then went out of town for the weekend. His partner covered for him and had to take Weis back to the OR and fix it. You would think the main surgeon would be smart enough not to leave town when he just operated on a high profile person like Weis (he was a coach for the Patriots at the time).

Gee....are you suggesting that a high profile patient should be treated better than an "ordinary" patient?

SnowTown

SNOW BABY!!!
10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2006
Status (Visible)

So Weis had bariatric surgery back when he was a coach with the Patriots and he is still morbidly obese now (or became obese again)?

McDoctor

Over One Billion Cured
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2006
McHospital
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
What is making complication rates go up is the number of inexperienced surgeons who added this option to their practice as a way of offering an elective surgery that could pay them roughly $10k a pop (their cut alone). Fortunately that's leveling off -- supply has now equaled demand.

I could not agree more with this statement. As a student, I rotated through several small community hospitals where general surgeons performed these procedures in addition to the gamut of other procedures they performed. For the most part, the patient selection process was a joke. Many continued to smoke. Most hadn't modified their diet in any meaningful way prior to the procedure. The problems weren't just with the low numbers performed by the surgeons, but with the patient selection process that attempted to do nothing more than meet the minimum requirements set forth by the insurance companies before they would pay for the procedure.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.