Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

NOVA Alternate status, maybe Greg could answer

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by qqqqqq, Feb 29, 2000.

1. qqqqqq

qqqqqq Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Just found out I was waitlisted at Nova, obviously extremely bummed. Had a couple of questions. I believe Nova is still holding interviews, so are waitlisted people reviewed along with every subsequent interview group or just set aside until they fill their class with acceptance offers? Also, are people ever actually rejected after an interview, or is everyone place as an alternate who isn't accepted? Does it matter how late in the application process you were put on alternate status, and is it a disadvantage to be out of state? Also, when should I send a letter of intent? I know that Nova has a large deposit due on March 15th, so is that when I should sent a letter restating my interest in their school. Thanks, any advice appreciated.

[This message has been edited by qqqqqq (edited 02-29-2000).]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gregory Gulick

Gregory Gulick Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Answering your questions:

Yes, people are rejected. Being on the alternate list, while not ideal, isn't the end. I do believe they are reviewed along the way because I've known at least one person who was interviewed last semester, put on the alternate list, and was accepted two months later. And incidentally, some of my good friends in medical school now are out-of-state students who came off the alternate list.

I always encourage applicants to do what they can to let the school know about their interest in the program. It never hurts to write a letter after receiving your alternate status and just reaffirm your interest and desire in attending NSU.

Finally, I just want to remind you that I'm not involved with admissions so these answers are by no means official. NSU is ever changing and they could have changed their procedures from last year.

I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to contact me via e-mail at [email protected] if you wish.

G.

4. qqqqqq

qqqqqq Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the advice

5. seneca

seneca Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I understand your situation, I am also on the alternate list at Nova. I have talked to admissions and I was told that they don't review the people until interviews are completed which is at the end of March. Then after all the deposits are in they look to see how many spots are available then they go to the alternate list. Its not ranked and I think there are only 30 people on the list. So its a wait but hopefully things will work out for the both of us.

6. qqqqqq

qqqqqq Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I hope you're right about there being 30 people on the list b/c I think they usually take 10-15 students a year from the alternate list. In that case we still have a pretty decent chance. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by qqqqqq (edited 03-01-2000).]