Nova-COM Class of 2005 Meeting Room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goblue27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone..

I will be attending Nova this fall and would like to hear from those others who are as well. Please list your reasons and any other feelings you have on the matter so we can all get to know one another even before orientation begins in August!! Take Care.

Members don't see this ad.

I (as of right this moment) will be heading to Nova as well this fall. It has been a tough decision and I'm not quite sure that it is a final decision since I have narrowed it down and accepted two of the offers. But my feeling right now is to head to Nova. I figure that I will make the most of my education no matter where I go and I have some connections in that area so that is where I plan to be. I hope to be down there and looking for a place to live this summer so if anyone knows of a good place to live or needs a roommate, please let me know.

Hi - I will be heading from NOVA too. I narrowed it down to NOVA and AZCOM, but am now 99.99% sure about NOVA. Reasons - Well, the school is established (with a nice reputation!), great clinical experience during 1st and 2nd years, friendly students, great location, etc. etc. I really feel that I'll be happy at NOVA for 4 years. For those needing housing info you can contact Fern. She sent me a book with all the close apartments (there are 2 right across the street from the Health Professions Division)
I am also looking to share an apartment with someone (or 2 people), so if you are looking for a roommate, e-mail me! I am at work now, so i don't have the booklet with the apartment info. But e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll get back to anyone interested in info ASAP. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,
just wondering--when are you guys going to go down and find a place to live? i have already looked at some stuff that i got from different apartments, and didn't know when most students secure housing for the following year. anyway, i can't wait to meet all of you this fall!

Hi,

I really have no idea when I am going down to look for a place. Does anyone exactly know when orientation begins? I will post on this forum for current students to give their opinions to try to better gauge the housing available. I kinda got the feeling that most students secure housing around March or April.

Hey Seth..

Check out Cedar Key, Poinciana, and Palm Trace Landings. They're all right by the school and many students live there. However, most people, as I found out, get on waiting lists now!! So, call them, get info, and go from there.

I have a friend at that lives in Coconut Grove (sp?), a nice little suburb near Miami. He wants me to room with him - how far is that and is it against traffic during the commutes?

About Coconut Gove,
Commuting to Nova from there will be way too far..over an hour and a half each way....the traffic is crazy.
I used to commute from Univeristy of Miami to a D.O. clinic right down from the street from Nova..the commute was a BITCH! The "Grove" is an awesome place and a UM student staple. ..but going to Ft.Lauderdale from the Grove is WAY WAY too far....TRUST ME!
I only commuted 3 days a week...and it was horrendous....I am sure others from the are will agree....You need to be w/in 15-20 minutes of the school..Miami traffic is unreal. I am from New York...and the traffic when I lived in Miami made NY look like nothing.
I would stay in the Davie, Weston, Pembroke Pines area....Something to seriously consider!!!

greetings all! i'm from boston and am definitely thinking about attending nova in the fall. i've got it narrowed down between nova and azcom however am strongly leaning towards nova due to the strength of the program, etc. i'm gonna be heading down soon to check out the school and area one final time before i have fork over the deposit. check out apartments.com or rent.net for apartments in the area. i've started to look at some and they look pretty good. anyway perhaps i shall see all in the fall. take care.

Hi BostonDO

Did you go to school in Boston to? I graduated from Brandeis last May.

We are sorta in the same boat. I narrowed all my choices down to AZCOM and NOVA. However, I am almost definitely going to NOVA. (I say "almost definitely" because it isn't final until I send in the next deposit...) I prefer going to NOVA over AZCOM mainly due to reputation, being established, more diverse student population, and it's closer to New York.

Thanks all for commenting on The Grove and housing. So which areas are the closest/best to live and when do you need to sign the lease? I'm heading down there in early May for a conference, should I look for housing then? Also, is there a board or post that older NOVA students use in which they advertise for roommates?

Hey Ubigal..

If you want to get a place, you need to get on a waiting list asap!! Most of the students live in Cedar Key, Palm Trace Landings, or Poinciana. They're all within two minutes of the school. Expensive for a one bedroom but affordable with a roommate. Talk to fern in the admissions dept. about roommate advice. Don't wait until May. Call the places for brochures and such. Later.

its especially important to sign up early for the close apartments, novas health professions itself has optometry, dental, do, pa, pt, ot and pharmacy students who will all want to live close also.

there are some slightly cheaper (in a less desirable neighborhood) to the east of the campus (not a first suggestion)

Along Stirling road are a couple of complexes that i think are still MUCH cheaper (about three miles away)

Along Hollywood blvd about 7-8 miles right on the turnpike (25 cents each way) are also some cheaper places

along Sheridan, Taft and Johnson are some apartments particularly around I95 which are about 6-10 miles away. cheaper also.

There are also a lot of houses in the hollywood area for rent for cheaper than the cost of an apartment right near school (great if you have kids and the neighborhoods in west hollywood are great)
east hollywood you may pay less and live in a dump, but for a couple of rocks of crack you can get sex anytime. so i hear.

You also could get a studio about 25-30 minutes drive away in either ft. lauderdale beach, hollywood or even hallandale, a bit far but hey, waking up to a sunrise while skipping the biochemistry you already learned as an undergraduate is a great way to start the morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
adrianshoe--
how is traffic around the nova area, and how uncommon is it to live on ft. lauderdale beach...
also, how do most people find these places to live? do you recommend going through the real estate person that fern suggests?
just wondering.
thanks!

it was around 50/50 people living right next to campus and people living all over.
the farthest was south miami and delray..but of course thats not really ideal.
I knew several people in the different classes that lived on the beach, its not unbelievably difficult, you have more fun in your off time and the sunrise before you skip 8 am class is always nice.
Traffic in the AM is always worse heading EAST from the west suburbs.
So if you live East (like the beach) the am drive is not terrible.
Traffic in the PM again is Away from Ft. Lauderdale to the west suburbs, so again if you are living to the east of campus your traffic flow is always positive.
If you are coming North, you can use the turnpike and get off on griffin road to come into campus the back way.
If you are coming south you just get off on 595.
i am not really familiar with ferns real estate person, but i am familiar with fern, sweet lady, but a real character.

Hey you guys, did anybody eat that candy that teletubby gave you before you got your acceptance letter??? Just wondering...

Is the campus housing really that bad??? It seems like everybody is gonna live off-campus. Do you think it is necessary to have a car while going to school there?? Im from chicago so I probably wont have any wheels when i get down there and I have no idea what to do about housing. I need to call Fern.

some people do live on campus, its not bad at all for dorm life, but as a medical student who has to go to clinics and hospitals even in a limited way as a first year, a car is almost a complete neccessity. either that or the ability to shamelessly beg rides from people.

hi, everyone--
i was just wondering if anyone is looking for a roommate for this fall...please let me know! i plan to talk to fern because i'm sure she has a list or whatever, but i am just curious if anyone else is looking. does anyone know how that works? i plan to go down there soon and look around for myself, but what are you supposed to do if you plan to live with someone else?
thanks!

hi, everyone--
i was just wondering if anyone is looking for a roommate for this fall...please let me know! i plan to talk to fern because i'm sure she has a list or whatever, but i am just curious if anyone else is looking. does anyone know how that works? i plan to go down there soon and look around for myself, but what are you supposed to do if you plan to live with someone else?
thanks!

Greetings everyone. I have been accepted to NOVA as well as an allopathic program in NY. I fell in love with NSU and think that I would be much happier spending my medical education there. I also agree with the DO philosophy. However, I am getting pressured by MDs from work who think that I will get short changed when applying for residencies. I have some match info from NOVA but it is somewhat vague and I am told doesn't really reflect where the students did their residencies. Does anybody have any info / insights on this? I'm pretty sure I'll be going into EM.

it would be completely dishonest to claim there wont be discrimination against you for ER spots at md residencies, it happens, often. however if you use some of the examples of the many DO students who HAVE gone to md er residencies, you will see that if you APPLY yourself and dont simply fiddle fart around about your goal, you can break through a lot of the discrimination that limits but does not negate your possibilities. not all programs are equivocal to dos, some actually have DO directors, so possibilities definitely exist coincidently with some latent discrimination.

There is really not very much discrimination in EM these days:

1) ACEP has a DO board member.

2) South Florida's only EM residency is a DO residency

3) of the 190 ER's in Illinois 30 of them have DO's as directors.

4) of the many ER residencies in the country some of the BEST are DO residencies.

Thank you for the info... it is much appreciated

Hi guys!
Just a quick question....do you know if Nova's class is full (or how close to being full?) I applied to Nova, received a secondary but didn't send it back for various reasons. Now I've received another letter from Nova (and another secondary) asking me to return it by March 1st. I've seriously been considering sending it back but I don't want to waste the $50 if they only have a few slots left.

Any advice?

anyone who thinks there is not a lot of discrimination in the decision making process of individual md directors of md er programs probably hasnt gone through the process. Lets be honest to each other, there is a LOT of discrimination, there is no doubt about it, and lying about it to convince people to go DO is going to have worse repercussions than facing this discrimination openly and acknowledging that despite the discrimination there are still plenty of spots in md er residencies for the outstanding do applicant
you are not helping osteopathy deceiving people about its problems.

Hello Class of 2005!

I am a local resident near Nova and am planning to move into Sunforest which is one of the apartment complexes that is WALKING distance to the Health Professions Division (our classrooms). I am definetely interested in a roommate. Male or female is cool. I am choosing Sunforest because it is CONVENIENT and because I have two well-behaved dogs. If any of you are interested in chatting about roommate possibilities, please email me. Look forward to meeting you all in Aug. and am very excited about my choosing NSU-COM!!

Originally posted by William:
There is really not very much discrimination in EM these days:

1) ACEP has a DO board member.

2) South Florida's only EM residency is a DO residency

3) of the 190 ER's in Illinois 30 of them have DO's as directors.

4) of the many ER residencies in the country some of the BEST are DO residencies.
all these are valid points, however, it is completely untrue to assert that there isnt a lot of discrimination at many of the md residencies, do the research.
opportunities exist,
a good student with people skills will get in somewhere most likely
but a lot of programs are resistant to dos and they have no problem telling you this.
if you bother to ask.
it is only fair to tell people the truth, DOs are not accepted completely in many places. lets be upfront about that or we will never be able to address these deficiencies.

here is a true story (it's so bizarre that i doubt some folks will believe it)
I was in my Lawyer's conference room about two months ago, when i heard a lady in the lobby talking about how she was upset with the ER in stuart fl, because the doctor wasnt even a real doctor, he was rude to her, and he was just a DO....
my wierd sense of humor almost made me go sit with her and join in the bitching, but i just laughed and took care of my business.
it would have been fun to sit and bitch with her for about ten minutes and then introduce myself...ahh, life's missed opportunities.

Call them up, ask them how much room they have left, tell them you're extremely interested, have received a secondary as of late, and find out!! They're pretty easy to deal with about those things in the admissions department, and it's really not to late. They still are interviewing and filling the class.

hello, everyone--

i am going to be attending nova this fall, and am looking for someone to room with. i plan to live in one of the apartments near the school. so if anyone out there is also looking for a roommate, please respond!
thanks
oh, i am a female, and would prefer to live with another female.

go blue-
i am also a female looking for a roommate. i have given my name and info to fern, and she has given my name/phone out to students looking as well. if you would like to correspond with me further, email me-

Hi Tye,

I also will be starting at Nova this Fall. I am really excited. In fact I am feeling some major senioritis with my class now. I can?t wait to graduate this May. Why don?t you e-mail me and maybe we can meet before hand. I understand that we have our first day of orientation July 30. My address: [email protected] -Al

acaban,

i will be attending nova this fall as well. how did you find out our orientation will be on july 30? i haven't heard anything about it yet. take care

man, is everybody excited or am I the only one??!!! For like the first time in my life I can't wait till school starts. Isn't that crazy??!! We're all gonna be in medical school, and of all the places, we're gonna be in Florida! I just can't wait.

hello, all--
just in case you don't know...
orientation starts july 30, our first day of class is aug. 6, and our white coat ceremony is aug 18.

smile.gif
can't wait to meet all of you

hey all!

I'm thinking about living at the Atriums of Plantation apartment complex while at nova. Is anybody else thinking about living there as well? later

Hi Boston DO,

I heard about the dates from Fern. I was actually up at Nova this tuesday. She gave me the same dates goblue posted on the last thread. I was looking at some apartments and I am thinking about sunforest and cedar key. I dont know yet which one. I am going there agian this weekend. Write me at my e-mail: [email protected]

Hola...

Sunforest is not nearly as nice as cedar key. When I interviewed, I checked out all of them, and of the ones closest (w/in 2-5 min. drive, cedar key, palm trace landings, and poinciana lakes were all comparably nice) Can't wait to meet everyone! And I'm hoping we have some atheletes so can kick the crap out of the other professional schools in intramural sports!! You know, when we're not studying 13 hours/day!!

Hi everyone, My wife and I just bought a townhome in Weston, anyone else living out there? Looking forward to meeting everyone!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by goblue27:
Hola...

Sunforest is not nearly as nice as cedar key. When I interviewed, I checked out all of them, and of the ones closest (w/in 2-5 min. drive, cedar key, palm trace landings, and poinciana lakes were all comparably nice) Can't wait to meet everyone! And I'm hoping we have some atheletes so can kick the crap out of the other professional schools in intramural sports!! You know, when we're not studying 13 hours/day!!

Amen!

Hello everyone,
I need some help from all of you. I am trying to decide between Nova, Azcom, and TUCOM. Any advice or input you guys have would be a huge help (why you chose Nova?, etc.). Thanks and take care,

zach

I don't know where you are from, but if you go to Nova you can go and relax by the ocean from time to time. Very relaxing and those warm Atlantic/Caribbean waters are the best! In addition, Miami offers salsy Latin culture as well as every other nationality/culture under the sun. A Great place to broaden your horizons and study medicine. Rotations are through huge Broward county hospital system and electives are available at Jackson (Univ. of Miami School of Medicine's teaching hospital).

Let's not forget HARVEY! The millenium man with the heartbeat!! AZCOM and TUCOM have no HARVEY.

In the end, AZCOM and NOVA are comparable in my estimation so it comes down to which situation you would prefer. By the way, regarding Nova's dress code...at first I was unsure of the administration's policy..but after careful consideration, it is going to be great rolling out of bed and tossing myself into some scrubs. You don't have to worry about "dressing-to-impress" instead you can save your nice threads for the times you go out on the town. Having lived in S.Florida for almost 3 years now, I can tell you there is no place like it!!! Phoenix/Glendale is nice granted, but it doesn't offer as much as Miami/Ft.Lauderdale.

Can't wait to begin and hope to see you there! Bienvenidos todos.

DOby
Nova 2005

sing s. fla's praises bros.!! Let's see...lush, palm trees and beaches vs. dry-super hot, barren Arizona? C'mon now. Seriously, make your own decision upon your interviews and the students you talked to at the schools, not by some internet chat site. Go with your gut.

Hello ,

I thought I'd add myself to this list of people who I will be surviving the trenches with the next couple years. Does anyone have any tips regarding the amount of $ to ask for in loans? Should I ask for the total 40,000? I can't wait for July 30th! It should be a fun week! and fun year.

j

Hey Goblue!
I will be ready to kick ass this fall in sports!!!

Has anyone received an information packet yet? Also, i am looking for an affordable, one bedroom/ studio apartment. Any suggestions?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by jazzman:
Has anyone received an information packet yet? Also, i am looking for an affordable, one bedroom/ studio apartment. Any suggestions?

Hi Jazzman,

Last I spoke with Fern she explained to me that orientation packets should be in the mail sometime early/mid May. Maybe you could call her up and double check that for all of us. As far as the apartments: there are so many in the area. Cedar Key comes to mind, because of its proximity to school. I think they have studio and one bedroom apts starting at $800. If you are thinking about a room mate I would recommend talking to Fern sine she has a list of students. Also, I saw around the message boards in the library have postings for room mates. Good Luck!

Hi you guys!
It's finals time for me and being accepted to med school is making it very difficult to study for my undergrad finals!
I can't wait to get down to Ft. Lauderdale and start school and get to know all of you guys.

I was just wondering when you guys were planning to move in your new apartments? I won't be getting there until the 20th of July or so because I'm getting married on the 14th. (Let me tell you how I freaked when I found out when we had to be there!).
Just wondering, I wanted to see if I was going to be, like the very last person to move in.

Hi Choirgrl05:

Congratulations on your marriage! I still don?t know when I am moving in, but for now its sorda looks like early July. I have final exams all next week and I am graduating May 11th. I can?t wait for school to be over.
biggrin.gif
Hope you have a good honeymoon and GOOD LUCK on your finals!