Nova DO vs Quinnipiac Netter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshinee97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have an acceptance at Nova DO and Quinnipiac Netter. I live in South Florida about 30 min away from Nova DO. I really wanted to stay in Florida but probably think that it makes sense to go to Netter. I would appreciate any advice and I guess wondering if it’s worth moving to a new place away from family!

*I do not know which specialty I’m interested in as of right now

Nova

Pros:
Local
Can stay near family

Cons:
DO
Grading system

Netter

Pros:
Pass fail
MD
Small class size

Cons:
Far away and partner would have to move out of Florida with me

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MD over DO every time unless it’s Cal northstate

Even the small class size alone is a tremendous advantage. You probably won’t have to go across multiple states for rotations (though I don’t believe quinnipiac has a home hospital).

Only way I think nova could be worth it is if you’re interested in primary care. But even then there are certain places you wouldn’t be able to match from nova that you could from quinnipiac.

I believe that quinnipiac even sent somebody to one of MGH/BWH/BIDMC this year for im

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the cost difference ?
Surprisingly, Nova comes out more expensive by like $30k a year as far as cost of living goes. The appeal is to be close to family and not have to move up north where I don’t have a support system

MD over DO every time unless it’s Cal northstate

Even the small class size alone is a tremendous advantage. You probably won’t have to go across multiple states for rotations (though I don’t believe quinnipiac has a home hospital).

Only way I think nova could be worth it is if you’re interested in primary care. But even then there are certain places you wouldn’t be able to match from nova that you could from quinnipiac.

I believe that quinnipiac even sent somebody to one of MGH/BWH/BIDMC this year for im
What makes the small class size a big advantage?

I think if your significant other can stomach it, attending Quinnipiac is going to be better for you in the long run (MD). It seems the two of you would provide support to each other. Not a support system per se, but better than going alone.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone whose interests align highly with DO and will be starting at a DO school (so def not biased against DO), please avoid Nova if you can. On top of the obvious advantages of MD, I know a few people at NOVA who have failed out, and if they managed to pass the first two years, end up failing their boards. Their curriculum seems okay but they haven't been forgiving towards their current students. The number of students who I have witnessed struggled at their school greatly concerns me (I'm also from Fl, so I know many people who attended).

As someone whose interests align highly with DO and will be starting at a DO school (so def not biased against DO), please avoid Nova if you can. On top of the obvious advantages of MD, I know a few people at NOVA who have failed out, and if they managed to pass the first two years, end up failing their boards. Their curriculum seems okay but they haven't been forgiving towards their current students. The number of students who I have witnessed struggled at their school greatly concerns me (I'm also from Fl, so I know many people who attended).
Thank you so much for this! I decided Netter over Nova :)

Officially withdrew from Nova DO!

Reactions: 6 users