Nova expands residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great to see an increase in GME positions, but if the goal of Florida is to keep doctors in-state they need to create a much better practice environment. Until then, doctors will continue to leave the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great to see an increase in GME positions, but if the goal of Florida is to keep doctors in-state they need to create a much better practice environment. Until then, doctors will continue to leave the state.

Absolutely. The three-strikes malpractice law is ridiculous, and while I applaud the zeal with which they aim to protect patients, it creates an overall pretty hostile environment for young docs.

Protip: most docs I know have been sued more than 3 times in their careers.

Hmm I saw nothing on the types of residencies opened up. If they are adding a bunch of family medicine residency spots, this will do nothing to help, since many family medicine residencies go unfilled anyhow.

Absolutely. The three-strikes malpractice law is ridiculous, and while I applaud the zeal with which they aim to protect patients, it creates an overall pretty hostile environment for young docs.

Protip: most docs I know have been sued more than 3 times in their careers.

Truth.

How are you liking school so far dude? :hello:

Hmm I saw nothing on the types of residencies opened up. If they are adding a bunch of family medicine residency spots, this will do nothing to help, since many family medicine residencies go unfilled anyhow.

:thumbup:

Truth.

How are you liking school so far dude? :hello:

It's alright, in that bad, awkward sex is still sex kind of way.

Seriously though it's kicking my butt-and missing the Bay something fierce. How's Touro?

I cant speak for all these hospitals, but I have nothing but great things to say about Broward General's IM program. However, one problem with DO IM programs is that if you want to specialize it seems that most programs fill from their own program. Broward Gen does not currently have any IM specialties to offer and I have spoken to a few applicants who were very concerned about this.

In talking with the DME, whom I have the utmost respect for, she told me that the original plan was to increase the FM and IM spots, add a gen surg program, and a few fellowships, namely cards and pulm. If I remember correctly when this was in the works a portion of the funding had to go towards primary care spots, as such I would imagine that all or most of the new spots will be either FM, IM, IM subspecialties or Gen surg (considered in the bill to be part of primary care.)

One thing I am interested to see is if there will be any new EM programs open up. Broward is a level 1 trauma center and I could see EM being considered a primary care field.

It's alright, in that bad, awkward sex is still sex kind of way.

Seriously though it's kicking my butt-and missing the Bay something fierce. How's Touro?

Awesome :laugh:

It's going well. I can't believe how much crap we're expected to know! Missing CA too...

Last edited:
Found out BGMC will add Peds to their programs.