Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Nova Interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by jdg, Nov 12, 1999.

1. jdg

jdg

Just received notification of an interview offer for Nova in the begining of December. If anyone can offer any thoughts on the school or their recent interview, I would really appreciate it. This is my first interview and can use all of the help that I can get. Thanks in advance.

JDG

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Henry

Henry Senior Member

Getting an interview on Dec is a good sign.
    NOVA focus a lot on primary care. If you are geared towards that direction, make sure you mention in the interview.

Several courses I want to mention here:
    Clinical Practicum (yr 1)
    - you learn how to do H & P.
    - learn to use the diagnostic tools
    - second semester will have practical exam in simulated condition.

Clinical Practicum ( yr 2)
    - learn to do FOCUS H & P and develop skills in differential diagnosis, (this is fun)

Clinical Correlation ( yr 1 & 2)
    - learn to apply lecture stuff in real cases.
    - Year 1 is not so intense. You have CC every other week
    - yr 2 is more intense. You have CC every week. But I can tell you, I like it better than staying in lecture. I really learn how to work-up a case from the bottom up.

IGC preceptorship.
    - yr 1 every other week you will assign to a primary doctor and learn real medicine in real medical setting.
    - depend who is your preceptor, My doctor let me to take History and Physical and I repoert each case to him. Excellent experience.
    - Yr 2, you will have IGC every week

"Harvey"
    -the robots can produce all kinds of pathological heart sound. Great machine and make you shine in your rotation if and only if you spend time to practice. NOVA is the only DO school that have it.

That is for now, email me with more question and I try to help you there.

------------------
    NSU 2002
    ([email protected]@-)

4. futuredo

futuredo Junior Member

Hey JDG,
    I was invited for an interview in the beginning of December too.
    Maybe I'll see you there.
    Good luck on your interview.
    Thanks, henry for the advice.

5. dlc

dlc Senior Member

Hey everyone,
    Is there anyone out there going to Nova for in an interview this Friday, November 19? Also, for those of you who have interviewed, how long did it take you to hear a response...approximately 2 weeks?
    Dana

6. jbong

jbong Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I'm interviewing at Nova on Nov 29th.
    I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Bong
    class of '04

7. mmaher

mmaher Junior Member

Just received an acceptance to NOVA today, so I guess my interview did go well. Although NOVA is a good school, I will choose PCOM because of their clinical opportunities. If anyone has any questions about the NOVA interview, let me know.

------------------
    Mike
    PCOM CLASS OF 2004

8. jdg

jdg

Mike:
    If you don't mind me asking, when was your app complete at PCOM? Also, if you want to reveal them, what are your stats like? I also applied to PCOM and haven't heard a damn thing from them lately accept that my application was complete (early October). Has anyone you know heard from NYCOM as well? Thanks in advance.

JDG

9. mt

mt Member

Just got into Nova today. Had my interview 2 weeks ago. Good luck.

10. bill cross

bill cross Junior Member

dlc:

I will be at Nova this Friday also. I attended PA school there and without reservation can say that their facilities and instructors are the finest anywhere. I will look forward to meeting you. Good Luck. Bill.

11. dlc

dlc Senior Member

Hi Bill,
    Wow, it sounds like we are heading down the same path! Can't wait to see you this Friday!
    Dana

12. My application was done in late August and I interviewed in October. The interview itself was kinda weird. They didn't seem real interested in getting to know me. Several of the interviewers seemed disinterested and another kept interrupting me. I "heard" that they were the toughest bunch though. Things got A LOT better after the obligatory "Why DO?" "Why here?" type questions. I asked a buncha questions and sparked a buncha conversation. So about 3 weeks later I got a BIG piece of certified mail. What a crapshoot!

13. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member

I hear you, Ram#48. My interview was terrible at Nova. I had one interviewer in particular (the school's founder, I later learned) who was ridiculously rude and attacked my past instead of attempting to learn anything about me. I almost withdrew my app (even though, I thought the school itself was wonderful), because after my interview, I figured there was no way I was getting in.

Yet, yesterday, I arrived home to find that I had missed a piece of certified mail from Nova. Funny thing, this damned admissions process, huh?

Boomer
    NSU-COM, Class of 2004

Ahhhhhh, that feels great.

------------------
    Respect my authoritah
    --Eric Cartman

14. Like I said, it is all a crapshoot. I'll bet a nickel I had the same rude old SOB!

15. mmaher

mmaher Junior Member

My application was complete at all the schools in late August. I received an interview for PCOM on OCT 14, an interiew for Des Moines on Oct 22, and an interview for NOVA on OCT 29. I received my acceptance to PCOM exactly two weeks later. I received a phone call from Des MOines. And, I received my acceptance from NOVA approximately three weeks later. To all those interviewing at NOVA, Dr. Morton Terry is the grumpy old man that everyone is talking about. He purposely tries to see if he can offend to see how you will react. Deep down, he is really a nice guy and has done alot for the osteopathic profession. With regards to the NOVA interview, just be able to explain your weaknesses. And of course, know about the osteopathic profession. To the poster above, as far as my stats are concerned, 3.77 GPA and 29R MCAT. PCOM is a wonderful school, and I hope that you hear from them soon.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. jdg

jdg

Mike:
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to hearing from the remainder of my schools including PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM. Good luck!

JDG