NOVA Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received word that I will be interviewing at NOVA soon! I was just wondering if anyone out there would be willing to share tips, insights, anything! I have looked at interview feedback but am looking for any other info.
Thanks in advance!
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

First things first: Be prepared to fall in love with the school. The school is beautiful and there are palm trees and a brand-new huge gorgeous library. The people are so nice and friendly and seem to be relaxed. The faculty also seem pretty great. Fern is a riot and will help you relax and she also gives you her "lucky candy" (which is lucky, because i just found out that i got accepted there!).

But interview tips.... be yourself. Smile a lot. Make eye contact. Show them that you aren't nervous and that you are excited to be in Fort Lauderdale and at Nova. Let them know that you want to be a D.O. and tell them why. If you have any bad points on your application (low MCAT scores, a bad grade), be prepared to defend them. Stand your ground, but don't get defensive.

Good luck on your interview! It's very relaxed and don't be too worried if it only lasts a couple minutes because mine was only 15 minutes, and Lynne told me that they gave me a really good recommendation. Enjoy your time in Fort Lauderdale too.... spend an extra day there to relax on the beach and maybe check out Las Olas or Beach Place for some night life.

Originally posted by jd star

But interview tips.... be yourself. Smile a lot. Make eye contact. Show them that you aren't nervous and that you are excited to be in Fort Lauderdale and at Nova. Let them know that you want to be a D.O. and tell them why. If you have any bad points on your application (low MCAT scores, a bad grade), be prepared to defend them. Stand your ground, but don't get defensive.

Is it okay to just defend anything bad on my record with a reply, "it was due to personal matter" and stop there? Would they be offended?

Members don't see this ad :)
benogurl - i don't know how they would respond to that. i would just be as straight up as possible without making excuses. if it is something too personal to say, just try to be as honest as possible. sorry, i know that's not the greatest answer for you. good luck though!

Hey!
I agree with jdstar - when I went to interview at nova, i was just thinking of it as a practice interview. By the end of the day, I was head over heels in love with the school. If you want some in-depth info about interviews, you can pm me and i'll answer it (i'm sorry i'm just not in the mood to type now, and i always write a book), but i'll answer about defending yourself. If you really don't want to talk about your weaknesses you can say it was just personal, but I don't think they necessarily want an explanation. Also, that explanation sort of puts an edge on the conversation/leaves them hanging. I think they really just want to see how you react to the criticism. If you got an interview they already think you're competent. My application had several F's and C's, and I don't have stellar mcats and I had just come from a school that bashed me the whole time during my interview, so I immediately tried to explain the reasons for my grades. My interviewers told me not to worry about it and never touched the subject after that. Just say you tried your hardest, there were extenuating circumstances that made it rough, and if its not acceptable, you'll do anything to improve and will be back next year. One great answer someone in my group gave about poor mcats was that it was him on paper - he knew he could have and should have done better, but in the end, they should judge him on his person not his scores. Hope that helps! And the best of luck!!