NOVA Is this is a good school?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmontague33

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just received an interview date from NOVA and Im from NJ and I just wanted to know what you thoguht of the school. I did a little research so I am still in limbo. please help

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I interviewed and was accepted at NSU and I am from Jersey also. It is a good school but you really need to go there and see if it is right for you. The good things about it FOR ME were the great clinical education they seem to have, Harvey was pretty cool, and the students seemed happy enough in general.
The negatives FOR ME were the location (I like changing seasons and I HATE South Florida traffic), the crowdedness of the school (being packed in there with 200+ classmates and all of the other professional students), and the hardcore attendance policy. I wasn't particularly thrilled with the alternating anatomy lab set up with 10 people to a cadaver either, but again that is a personal observation since I have worked as a small animal surgeon and I am very interested in anatomy and surgery.
Plus, I must say that my interview day was not the greatest and this is just an unfortunate personal event that may not reflect on the school entirely but still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The tour was short and rushed, a student stopped to tell us to "go anywhere but here" and the "Wrap up with the dean" didn't include the dean, we never met him.
That may all sound real bad but I did walk away impressed over-all. I felt I would be okay going there and it wasn't until I interviewed at other schools that I realized just how much NSU wasn't really for me. My advice is to go to the interview with an open-mind and realize that this is a tough decision if you have more than one school and you should take your time with it.
Good luck!
~Nate

I think its definitely worth the money and effort to go to the interview. I loved many aspects of the school but I think its best to see for yourself. Good Luck whatever you decide to do...

Members don't see this ad :)
go and see.. you never know.. you might love it.. you might not.

No one can answer this question. Reputation wise it is a good school. It is not MSU! hehehe

I don't know about NOVA but I LOVE FT. LAUDERDALE! :cool: Leave some time for having fun after your interview regardless, and pack a bathing suit

I agree that you should go visit the school for yourself. If you don't like hot weather then I would think twice. I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale and it is a great city (besides being extremely crowded). NSUCOM has a beautiful new campus/building and they try to keep up with technology as it changes. I actually liked the fact that you share your cadaver with so many people...it makes it so you aren't wasting as much time picking out the fat. I interviewed with Nate, and our interview day did stink...but from what I've read, it seems that they have fixed most of the problems. If you're interested in the school, then I think you should visit it to decide for yourself. Goodluck!

I will put in a good word for NSU. Although I have been more impressed by some of the academics at other schools, I was much more impressed with the atmosphere and facilities at NSU than I was at other places. I am from a big school, and love big schools. I have no desire to go to a little school where I know everyone (I love being anonymous), and I have no desire to live in a little bitty town. As far as I am concerned, NSU is about the perfect school for me....thus far, the other schools have not come close. When I arrived at Ft. Lauderdale and NSU I felt like I was coming home.

Nate said:
the hardcore attendance policy.

I don't understand why people that have NEVER experienced the policies always comment on them.....Anyway, the dress code and attendance policy are pretty relaxed. I wear a t-shirt and scrub bottoms everyday.....and many people just study in the library during class time. I can assure you that of anything that is positive about this school, it is the clinical education. We are required to learn detailed history-taking and physical examination techniques right from the start. And in our preceptorships we get to see patients already in our first two months as M1s. I can assure you not many schools can top ours with the clinical aspect. As for the sciences, I'm sure there are differing opinions on this. anyway, hope that helps.

I may not have experienced the policy but I can only know what they told us on our fly-by tour. Every single student we spoke to groaned about the attendance policy and we were told that we would have to swipe our cards in every hour for attendance, that to me is as hardcore as it gets. Like I said in my post, these were my feelings and opinions for which the OP asked. I never mentioned the dress code because I love wearing scrubs. And I agree, the clinical education at NSU seemed awesome, one of its major selling points and one of the most important factors for me. I do not want to put down NSU by any means, I like the school, it is just not for me for those reasons I listed. That does not make them bad for everyone and I never implied that it did. I hope the OP goes there with an open mind and discovers that the school is perfect for him and he is accepted.

HoodyHoo said:
I don't understand why people that have NEVER experienced the policies always comment on them.....Anyway, the dress code and attendance policy are pretty relaxed. I wear a t-shirt and scrub bottoms everyday.....and many people just study in the library during class time. I can assure you that of anything that is positive about this school, it is the clinical education. We are required to learn detailed history-taking and physical examination techniques right from the start. And in our preceptorships we get to see patients already in our first two months as M1s. I can assure you not many schools can top ours with the clinical aspect. As for the sciences, I'm sure there are differing opinions on this. anyway, hope that helps.

Nate said:
I may not have experienced the policy but I can only know what they told us on our fly-by tour. Every single student we spoke to groaned about the attendance policy and we were told that we would have to swipe our cards in every hour for attendance, that to me is as hardcore as it gets. Like I said in my post, these were my feelings and opinions for which the OP asked. I never mentioned the dress code because I love wearing scrubs. And I agree, the clinical education at NSU seemed awesome, one of its major selling points and one of the most important factors for me. I do not want to put down NSU by any means, I like the school, it is just not for me for those reasons I listed. That does not make them bad for everyone and I never implied that it did. I hope the OP goes there with an open mind and discovers that the school is perfect for him and he is accepted.

They make it seem a lot more hardcore than it really is..........swiping your ID is pretty crappy, but many people still get around that issue. So pretty much what I'm trying to say is that when all of you come for an interview, don't get caught up too much into what the administration or a few students say. Everyone has different opinions on different aspects of the school. Feel it out for yourself and focus on the more important factors such as cirriculum, location, or whatever else is important to you.

oh yeah, and you don't swipe in every hour, just for every class(most classes are two hours long), and only in the morning because you don't swipe in for lab time. Also, it is really easy because every hour we have a ten minute break, so when you are between classes, you just swipe in during your ten minute break. All the classes in the morning are in the same room, so it's really not that bad when all you have to do is go to the front of the room during your break and put your card against a little device.

I did meet the Dean and he was very personable. He has strong feelings about getting the most of your education. I wouldn't say that I personally agreed 100%, but he did have some good points. He personally saved a woman's life based on some minor, seemingly insignificant facts that were picked up in a lecture while viewing a few overhead slides.

What you guys are overlooking is that you can miss 20% of any particular class with no penalty.

The clinicals and rotation relationships seemed very solid. I sure wouldn't want to have to arrange my own rotations like some schools (read AZCOM). When I pay this many shekels, I do expect some structure and quality.

Also, the new fitness center will be open by next August. I'm sure it will be first rate. The tuition is high, but not really any different than other private schools.

Personally, I love the climate and hate freezing cold. The cost of buying a house is my only concern. If I can swing it, the appreciation has been 20% a year lately. After four years, your house or condo could double in value if the trend continues.

It's all about where you fit in. Check it out :)

OrthoFixation said:
I did meet the Dean and he was very personable. He has strong feelings about getting the most of your education. I wouldn't say that I personally agreed 100%, but he did have some good points. He personally saved a woman's life based on some minor, seemingly insignificant facts that were picked up in a lecture while viewing a few overhead slides.

What you guys are overlooking is that you can miss 20% of any particular class with no penalty.

The clinicals and rotation relationships seemed very solid. I sure wouldn't want to have to arrange my own rotations like some schools (read AZCOM). When I pay this many shekels, I do expect some structure and quality.

Also, the new fitness center will be open by next August. I'm sure it will be first rate. The tuition is high, but not really any different than other private schools.

Personally, I love the climate and hate freezing cold. The cost of buying a house is my only concern. If I can swing it, the appreciation has been 20% a year lately. After four years, your house or condo could double in value if the trend continues.

It's all about where you fit in. Check it out :)

The dean was very nice and down to earth.. but how many times do you get to deal with the dean. I agree with some of the reasons he talked about... you are professionals and should act like it... and dress like it... fine.. I think people should attend classes and not wear red thongs and reveiling clothing that are going to distract and discuss me while trying to understand the lecture.

BUT.... if they can't find students that are serious about attending classes, than maybe they should change their Adcom regulations. Other schools don't have such an problems to deal with. One of the schools I interviewed at the students where there 1 hour before class.. and studying on a Sunday on campus. They did not have to.

Their clinical rotations are good.. and they have MPH for free and access to other health schools. That is a bonus. They have some good residency positions as well. Great missions abroad and much more.

AZCOMs rotation system can be confusing and difficult for some, but can be great for others who don't want to end up in little town nowhere just because the lottery said so.

It all depends on the person.. and what they prefer.

An absoltely beautifull school. It's like being at a resort or something. But man that attendence policy sucks. I met some people form NOVA at the surgical confrece they are some cool dudes and dudetts.

They had me salivateing with stories of studying on the beach. God I miss the beach......

Docgeorge said:
An absoltely beautifull school. It's like being at a resort or something. But man that attendence policy sucks. I met some people form NOVA at the surgical confrece they are some cool dudes and dudetts.

They had me salivateing with stories of studying on the beach. God I miss the beach......

I couldn't imagine going to medical school and not going to class. After paying over 20K a year to be there, I would be at every lecture anyways in order to make the most out of my education. I don't think I have ever taken a class where I didn't attend at least 80 percent of the lectures. If the attendance policy said 100 percent, that would be bad.

Beach...here I come!

kaikai128 said:
I couldn't imagine going to medical school and not going to class. After paying over 20K a year to be there, I would be at every lecture anyways in order to make the most out of my education. I don't think I have ever taken a class where I didn't attend at least 80 percent of the lectures. If the attendance policy said 100 percent, that would be bad.

Beach...here I come!

You say that now.