NOVA MCAT Biology and verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dedicate

took mcat, now applying
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This book hasnt really been discussed much on this site from my searches. It's pretty cheap on amazon but the reviews are virtually helpless! 2 top and bottom ratings...

Has anyone personally used this book that can comment on it? Im currently using ONLY EK's 5 book set.

Thanks, and heres a link:

http://www.amazon.com/MCAT-Biology-Book-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1889057088/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all I know, it's amazing. I haven't heard anything about it.

But I think there's a consensus that EK Biology is absolutely excellent, so it's worth thinking about the reasons people tend to say so: That book is short and to-the-point in its descriptions and narrations of processes, and has (equally important, I think) concise, clear, COLOR pictures that stick in your head.

Other biology books have a less glowing reputation due to their length and descriptions of things that probably won't appear on the MCAT without being explained thoroughly in a passage. If you need a lot of description on an area you're fuzzy about, it shouldn't be too hard to grab your introductory biology textbook (or wikipedia) and read more about it. Why buy another book for that?

So that's my opinion. No need to reinvent the wheel unless you've checked out EK and Kaplan and are unimpressed.

But I think there's a consensus that EK Biology is absolutely excellent, so it's worth thinking about the reasons people tend to say so: That book is short and to-the-point in its descriptions and narrations of processes, and has (equally important, I think) concise, clear, COLOR pictures that stick in your head.

Yeah I think EK Bio is an amazing book. It really helps explain concepts in a concise way and is very easy-to-read and understand compared to other sources like Kaplan in my opinion.

However I would be sure to supplement EK Bio with tons of practice passages to apply concepts and understand/see some additional concepts that are not covered by EK Bio. [Examples would be fetal circulation, or details of glomerular filtration, which EK does not cover in depth if at all]

Yes. I intentionally bump this old thread...to tell you I am in love Nova Bio... I just started using it today
Nova Bio is similar to EK bio but more easier to read and has simpler questions.
Nova bio is GREAT for content but doesn't have any mcat style questions.
This book is GREAT to use as a review book before you start using harder intense mcat books ( EK, Princeton, Kaplan, etc)
The verbal sucks through.

Also I am just using Nova Bio to review Physiology and Nova Physics to review Physics before my TPR courses starts in Sept.

Last edited: