1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

NOVA MCAT Biology and verbal

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by dedicate, Dec 12, 2008.

1. dedicate

dedicate took mcat, now applying
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I heard from a friend that the Bio sucked.

4. dedicate

dedicate took mcat, now applying
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Thanks for the feedback, anyone else used it?

5. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think there's a good reason why you only hear about Nova Physics. Stick with the known materials.

6. marele86

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For all I know, it's amazing. I haven't heard anything about it.

But I think there's a consensus that EK Biology is absolutely excellent, so it's worth thinking about the reasons people tend to say so: That book is short and to-the-point in its descriptions and narrations of processes, and has (equally important, I think) concise, clear, COLOR pictures that stick in your head.

Other biology books have a less glowing reputation due to their length and descriptions of things that probably won't appear on the MCAT without being explained thoroughly in a passage. If you need a lot of description on an area you're fuzzy about, it shouldn't be too hard to grab your introductory biology textbook (or wikipedia) and read more about it. Why buy another book for that?

So that's my opinion. No need to reinvent the wheel unless you've checked out EK and Kaplan and are unimpressed.

7. futuredoctor10

Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah I think EK Bio is an amazing book. It really helps explain concepts in a concise way and is very easy-to-read and understand compared to other sources like Kaplan in my opinion.

However I would be sure to supplement EK Bio with tons of practice passages to apply concepts and understand/see some additional concepts that are not covered by EK Bio. [Examples would be fetal circulation, or details of glomerular filtration, which EK does not cover in depth if at all]

8. maybemed2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes. I intentionally bump this old thread...to tell you I am in love Nova Bio... I just started using it today
    Nova Bio is similar to EK bio but more easier to read and has simpler questions.
    Nova bio is GREAT for content but doesn't have any mcat style questions.
    This book is GREAT to use as a review book before you start using harder intense mcat books ( EK, Princeton, Kaplan, etc)
    The verbal sucks through.

Also I am just using Nova Bio to review Physiology and Nova Physics to review Physics before my TPR courses starts in Sept.

#7 maybemed2013, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012