1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

NOVA or BR for physics?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by msd848, Dec 22, 2008.

1. msd848

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Which of these books has more indepth information about physics? Has anybody tried both, which one is more adequate for mcat prep?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Zona Pellucida

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have NOVA and am about 1/2 through it right now...

Its a great book and is very clear and to the point. The only chapter I still do not understand after a first run through is on 'Torque' but I didn't understand it in lecture either.

4. 0Complications

Removed

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am also using Nova. I have skipped around a bit, but I really like the explanations. It's quick and dirty, plus the end of chapter questions are great.

I can't say how it compares directly, but I can say that you won't go wrong if you opt for Nova physics.

5. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    BR

I have tried both. NOVA is good but does not have the MCAT style passages at the end of each chapter like BR.

Plus, BR is more indepth.

BR is best for PS!

6. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd also go with BR for the practice passages.

7. Malayna

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm curious about Nova too. I'm wondering if it would be worth the money to get the Nova book. Any suggestions?

I'm going to be done with my BR physics books and their inclass packets pretty soon and might want to pick up another physics book just for the questions. The BR physics and general chemistry books are wonderful, so I don't need any review. I just need to get my hands on more problems, but ones on the same caliber as BR.

I have EK and don't like it very much for physics or general chemistry. The questions don't emphasize thinking enough and the explanations are too short to be helpful. The PR material at least has passages with their questions, but I keep hearing that the real MCAT is different from PR stuff. So far their physics material has seemed okay.