Nova or Nycom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorT

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to decide whether I want attend Nova or Nycom by the end of this month. I just wanted your opinion on which school is better and why?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi
i also faced a similar decision a while back and took into account factors such as proximity to family, feel for area etc
Both schools have a good academic reputation and excellent clinical rotations, maybe NYCOM has the edge in that dept. As far as facilities go, NOVA def has the advantage. The classrooms are new and the librarie ( especially the new one) are awesome
I guess living accomdations edge would also goto NOVA, as there are soo many apt complexes in its close vicinity, whereas for NYCOM, either u find a house and share it or get an APT complex about 15 minutes away
I the end I chose NOVA, but thats also because im a Florida resident and feel more comfortable here
hope this helps

Riz

I know one person who had the same choice and they chose NOVA.

As far as facilities and living conditions (cost) you are probably better off at NOVA.

As far as clinicals and exposure to big-name programs at big-name hospitals, you are probably better off at NYCOM.

Both are great schools.

Good luck with your decision and DON'T LET ANYONE MAKE THE CHOICE FOR YOU.

When I was interviewing, I got a certain feeling about a school. I think you have that feeling about one school over the other.

Go with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to where it will be cheaper (tuition... instate vs. out of state), and where you want to be for four years. That woudl be the only criteria I would use. Reputation Schmeputation.
Q

NYCOM in a heart beat. Their hospital affilifations are solid. NYCOM is on of the elite DO schools. up there with PCOM and Michigan State-COM.

Khanh Pham
WesternU/COMP class of 2002

•••quote:•••Originally posted by drfeelgood:
•NYCOM in a heart beat. Their hospital affilifations are solid. NYCOM is on of the elite DO schools. up there with PCOM and Michigan State-COM.

Khanh Pham
WesternU/COMP class of 2002•••••I agree with drfeelgood. He knows his stuff... NSUCOM is in an AWESOME area, and I love how they have Allied Health and Osteopathic Medicine all in the same area. It breeds good interrelation between fields.

NYCOM is top-notch in its contacts and network. You would have a great shot at going somewhere good afterwards for residency.

I know that this is different, but I do know someone who chose NYCOM's 7-year medical program over NSUCOM's 7-year... But that was mostly due to distance problems...

I'd pick Nova because I've always wanted to live in South Florida, especially near Miami. I love it down there!

Nova was my first pick initially because it is in Florida...and I LOVE that state...but, I unfortuantely did not get asked to interview, however...I will be attending NYCOM. NYCOM really does have an awesome program and great rotations...and with a guaranteed residency...how can you go wrong??? But, honestly, if I had my choice...I would probably choose NOVA mainly for the location. Sorry if I have only confused you more!

I had to make the choice about choosing NOVA over NYCOM.

I chose NSU
Both schools had an outstanding OMM program. Both had highly respected professors for OMM. Both schools had OMM fellowships that paid for the 3rd 4th and 5th years of schooling.

I would have to agree that NYCOM had better rotations. I have no idea what SexyEgyptDr. was talking about, "guaranteed residency." Everybody is given a residency spot it all depends on the quality of the residency and if it was the students' first choice. Why I din't what to go to NYCOM. The students didn't seem happy to be there. The adminstration was snobby. The facilities were lacking (The orange carpet stainless steel, small computer lab samll library). IF living a life did not factor into the decision I would have picked NYCOM. Plus I didn't like that there wasn't any preceptorship or pre-clinical training. I don't like just learning from books.

NSU: How could you beat Ft. Lauderdale. The campus is beautiful and everything you could possibly want in facilties. The library was amazing, students were upbeat, I liked the education, A little of PBL, preceptorship, and classes. The OMM was excellent. The faculty was great. It seemed like I was going to be better prepared for 3rd year if I went to NOVA. NOVA is probably the most technologically advanced DO school. (Harvey)

I think the decision came down to lifestyle and education. I just couldn't see myself going to NYCOM. NYCOM is a pressure school and I handle well under pressure butsomething was wrong.

If I could combine NOVA's first 2 years with that of NYCOM clinical rotations, I would go to that school in a heartbeat.

AK

If I could combine NOVA's first 2 years with that of NYCOM clinical rotations, I would go to that school in a heartbeat.
How about MSU-COM?

I have never been there but if it is what I described then I should have applied there.

I should have applied there instead of LECOM.

But something tells me Michigan is not the same as Ft. Lauderdale.

AK

Its the end of the month.

What did you decide?

Happy Trails!

AK

Hello Friends,
Thanks a lot for the inputs. It was really helpful. Just to let you guys know I chose NOVA!
I think JPHazelton is absolutely right in that you should go where it feels right. I think that I would be much happier at NOVA and hence I would perform better academically which in the end is the most important factor in getting a good residency.

I really loved Nova. The school was so nice and beautiful. The facilities were great, the faculty seemed like they really cared about the students and the students seemed really happy. Also, according to some website NOVA students have higher MCAT and GPA than NYCOM students. Plus living expenses is a little less.

But I felt that NYCOM students just where not happy. The place was kind of depressing. The facilities, location, administration, and students did not impress me. Plus, it has 270 people in each class vs. 180 at NOVA. But I guess the clinical rotations are better at NYCOM.

I have a complete list of residencies for NYCOM which the school provided us but NOVA didn't give us that info and it's not unline at all. This kind of worries me. Do they have something to hide? But I brought this the attention of a student i met there. He assured me that they get great residencies and that 2 people got residency at Duke, 1 at harvard, 1 at JHU for next year. Anyway, sorry for blabbering. If you're going to NOVA email me. I'm trying to find a place and a roommate.

DoctorT, Hey and welcome to NSU! We are glad that you selected NSU. Obviously you saw what I saw and realized that it is a great place. Let me welcome you to our official class of 2006 website. On it we have the match list for last years class.

<a href="http://www.nsucom2006.com" target="_blank">www.nsucom2006.com</a>

Once again congragulations!

Bryan Currie

I get a kick out of people who say the "students were just not happy" after visiting a school on a single interview. Heh.

Good luck to you in FL. Say hi to the palm trees.