Nova or PCOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by heather, Mar 12, 2001.

1. I know PCOM is a very reputable school, but I am a little nervous about living in Philly. I have also been accepted to Nova. I really enjoyed my interview and the city. One of my main concerns is my residency. Which school do you think will give me a better opportunity for a strong residency?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I had this same problem. Honestly, both cities have their issues - you just don't hear about the ones in FL. As far as residencies are concerned, Philly has amazing opportunities, as far as I am concerned. It has some of the top hospitals in the country and you will have access to many of them. Nova was built by a PCOM grad (Dr. Terry) and many professors are from PCOM. But, it's rotation opportunities don't seem as abundant.

The decision between these two was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made, but I am happy with it now. (oh, I am going to PCOM). I am really excited to start school. Good luck with your decision. Maybe I will see you in August. if you have more questions you can email me at [email protected]

BostonGirl.

4. go blue

go blue Junior Member

Hi, Heather--
    I actually was in the same situation as you were. Unlike the last person who posted, I chose Nova. I honestly think that what residency you end up getting will depend mostly on your board scores, rotations, and grades. As for which program is better, I thought that both were excellent. So, my advice would be to go where you think you would be happier! Just my two cents. Maybe I'll see you next fall!

5. daldoc

daldoc New Member

Honestly, I would worry more about where I could be comfortable living and studying and less about what variables will be available 4 years from now. I myself chose NOVA based on this and the fact that most of my contacts will be in southern FL, an area I can seriously see myself living. If you work hard in school, the opportunities will be there no matter what school you attend. Heather I am also from the DFW area so if you would like to talk more about this, let me know and we can exchange e-mail addresses.

6. PuppyLuv

PuppyLuv Member

Just got my interview from Nova last week and from what i see is that Nova is a good school and more importantly i that it is expanding, both in the medical education (offering a free Master of Public Health program for D.O students) and they are expanding their residencies (well I heard this from Nova people so could be just an advertisement) but the campus, everything is brand new. From the Nova graduates that i shadowed, they are all doing very well in the Miami area (I shadowed a GP, Ob/Gyn and a surgeon). Plus the weather is just awesome