Nova- South Florida Housing costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plugger

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all you Nova Neos,
I was wondering if housing in Davie, or close to Nova, is expensive compared to other U.S dental schools? Yah-E, you mentioned a figure, I think it was 52Gs for the year. Where did you get that figure... I see tuition is around 29Gs. Where did the other 23Gs come from? Please and thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Plugger,

I will be attending NOVA this Fall as well. I just got back from there this past week and let me tell you that the weather was amazing.

To answer your question:

Nova is in Davie Florida and it is a pretty expensive area to live in especially if your looking to rent. For a one bedroom I looked around several places by the way and they range anywhere from 750-1000. For a 2 bedroom your looking at about 200 dollars more a month, it really is a better deal. The city next to Davie is called Plantation and it really is not that much cheaper although I did not research it as well as I did Davie.

I went down there with an open mind and I really do not care about driving 15-20 minutes every morning. I did that in undergrad anyway. I will most likely be living in Plantation, which is a nice area and safe as well. My best advice to you is to go down there and find a real estate agent that will help you look at a condo that you could maybe buy. Buying is the best option that I have seen so far, your monthly payment will be lower than rent and it is YOUR place!! If you have any other questions about this topic or anything else just feel free to PM me or Andy!! :D

I sent you a PM UofM, but I think that I should make a plug for Davie Crossings. I chose to live there and i'm very happy about it. I'm paying slightly more for a two bedroom, but the model I got has one large master bedroom (basically the size of my apartment here in Ann Arbor), and a tiny bedroom. I will make the second bedroom my office/study room. Davie and Plantation are both comparable when it comes to price. The x-factor to me was that I didn't want a 20 minute drive to school every morning in rush hour traffic. I don't know what the Dental school policy is, but the med school has mandatory attendance, and I value my sleep--whatever little I will be getting next year. For the most part, though, all the apartment complexes were nice, so you really can't go wrong. Congratulations on getting into Dental school. I hope to see you two this summer. Take care.

--Michael

Members don't see this ad :)
Plugger,

The other 23Gs is for instrutments, books, living expenses, and other fees! So ~52Gs includes all expenses for that entire academic year!! The office of Student Financial Aid budgeted that price figure for us. About housing, you're better off contacting UofM01, I really have no experience on that topic. My future roommate is buying us a condo so I have no saying in it! I'll look forward to meeting you during your interview at Nova next year. You sound like you're doing your research on your dental schools! Remember, if you have questions for Nova dental students next year during your application process, feel free to stop in our class web site and post questions! :cool:

I think to find a roommate and get a 2 bedroom is better.
You save more and i would like to be close to denatl school and get more sleep, than drive for 15, 20 min!
hope we all find a good place to live in :) :) :)
Ala

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Plugger:
•Hello all you Nova Neos,
I was wondering if housing in Davie, or close to Nova, is expensive compared to other U.S dental schools? Yah-E, you mentioned a figure, I think it was 52Gs for the year. Where did you get that figure... I see tuition is around 29Gs. Where did the other 23Gs come from? Please and thank you.•••••

If anyone is going to find housing in Davie or Plantation or Ft lauderdale lets share info .
I think a lot of us are looking for hosing close to NOVA, or withing some driving distance.

see u all at NOVA's orientation.

ALA :cool: