Nova Southeastern University Ph.D. vs. Psy.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CogNeuroGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lots of NSU threads on here, and I wasn't sure if this question has been exactly answered, so I will shoot for it.

NSU offers both the Ph.D. and Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology. I applied to both programs and wanted to know what are the determining factors that the admissions committee would grant Ph.D. admissions over Psy.D. admissions? Seeing how one can apply to both with the same application, specifically, what factors stand out the most to be granted admissions into the Ph.D. program?

In my letter I did stress my experience and interests in neuropsychology/neuroscience, I also expressed my interests in forensic psychology and possibly using the Ph.D./Psy.D. to carve out a niche in an organizational/consultant way far in the future. Overall, I tried to provide ample flexibility in my interests with their program since it does cater to both the research and practice-oriented types of people.

Members don't see this ad.

broad and extremely flexible areas of interest fit better with the PsyD training model, IMO. If that's how you wrote your SOP, then you likely will be seen as a PsyD candidate by the admission committee.

broad and extremely flexible areas of interest fit better with the PsyD training model, IMO. If that's how you wrote your SOP, then you likely will be seen as a PsyD candidate by the admission committee.

Well I think I found something I agree with erg about. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good erg; I am happy either way, and in many respects, I am more hopeful for the Psy.D.

What’s the cost difference between the two?