nova southeastern university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawkes

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm looking for info for nova southeastern's pharmD program in ft. lauderdale, FL. They use video technology to provide lectures between their different sites. It seems to me they have a strict attendance and dress policy. These are some of the basics: attendance is mandatory for all lectures/labs. For the dress policy, no jeans, shorts, sneakers, sandals, t-shirts. And also i.d. badges have to be worn all the time when on campus. I've never heard about this type of policy. If anyone has any info for this school, i'd appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Nova seems to be a pretty good school. I chose not to apply there because it was a little out of my price range. The apartments in Broward County are expensive, too.

I thought that their internet lectures were for BS pharmacists wanting to get their PharmD. But, that might have changed. UF in Gainesville does have distance learning and it is what I will be doing this fall. They accept 50 students in the Tampa Bay area, 50 in Orlando and 50 in Jacksonville. I can explain how the concept works.

The first lecture is in Gainesville at 8:30am. It is taped and available online 2 hours later. You can watch the lecture, pause, rewind, etc. The lectures stay online throughout the year, so you can review. The school requires you to have a high speed internet connection. You communicate with the professor via email. I talked to some students and they said that the profs got back to them right away.

All labs and practicums are taken at a local campus, as well as exams and group projects. All campuses take identical exams at the same time.

Are you in Florida? A girl in the class behind me is planning on applying to Nova for pharmacy next year. My school, Saint Leo, has an agreement with Nova. All biology majors with good grades automatically get into Nova's DO program.

These are some of the basics: attendance is mandatory for all lectures/labs. For the dress policy, no jeans, shorts, sneakers, sandals, t-shirts. And also i.d. badges have to be worn all the time when on campus.

That s#$ks. I couldn't handle that for a day. Schools like that always kinda freak me out because I wonder how creative they're gonna be if they're that stringent about rules. I mean how is wearing nike air max's gonna compromise the learning environment?

Members don't see this ad :)
what! dress code! :eek: someone needs to give this school a reality check... what kind of stone age are they living in!? that is ludricious:rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with dress codes when the school is integrated within a medical complex. You should dress professionally. I think this is the case with Nova. The pharmacy school is with the medical school at a teaching hospital. It's not on the college campus.

Nova seems to have a strict dress code just in papers and the first week or two of classes.It has a good program at Fort. Lauderdale and a distant site at West Palm Beach,very small .This year more than 1000 aplicants for 120 seats.Very expensive.

dgroulx said:
I don't have a problem with dress codes when the school is integrated within a medical complex. You should dress professionally. I think this is the case with Nova. The pharmacy school is with the medical school at a teaching hospital. It's not on the college campus.

This is exactly the case at Nova and they apply the code to all of their campuses. Nova Southeastern is an excellent school. They do require at all times students dress professionally but on the flip sides they consider scrubs professional. They do require id badges to be worn at all time. All lectures are done by video conference, most of them at the Ft Lauderdale main campus. The way its set up right now is not a very good practice. The way Florida has it set up is great because it is streamed over a computer not on live television. Broward is quite expensive but it is affordable at places. Attendance is mandatory, as it should be. How could you graduate someone from your program that wasn't there half the time, you know? I hope this helps!

Do they actually offer distance learning (PharmD) or is it just on their campuses that they have the video lecture? I'm just checking out my options as I have to go with Distance Learning and I will be starting to apply later this summer.

Thanks.

jemc2000 said:
Do they actually offer distance learning (PharmD) or is it just on their campuses that they have the video lecture? I'm just checking out my options as I have to go with Distance Learning and I will be starting to apply later this summer.

Thanks.
It's on their campus sites in Palm Beach and Peurto Rico

jemc2000 said:

Thanks.

This is taken from Nova's website regarding the West Palm Beach satellite:

As of Fall 2000, NSU College of Pharmacy opened a West Palm Beach Program at I-95 and PGA Boulevard for the traditional Pharm. D. program. The only distinction between the Fort Lauderdale campus-based degree progam and the distance site program is geography. Each location has a team of site coordinators, administration, faculty and staff. Compressed interactive video technology is used to provide lectures between sites simultaneously. This provides for live interaction between lecturer and students regardless of location. Identical handouts, tests, and texts are used. Communication through telephone, fax and e-mail is available, just as with the Fort Lauderdale-based students. All students have access to the Health Professions Division library, computer labs, online learning resources and the vast technological innovations provided by Nova Southeastern University, which has been a leader in distance education programs for many years.

As far as distance learning, like what you are wanting to do, it's only for post-bac (RPh's who want a Pharm.D.). This is also taken from their website: The Post Baccalaureate Pharm.D. degree program educates students to achieve the same outcomes as the entry level Pharm.D. program but is designed to meet the needs of working pharmacists. Didactic courses are scheduled in the evenings at Ft. Lauderdale, and broadcast live by compressed interactive video to Ft. Myers, Orlando, Sarasota, Tampa, and West Palm Beach, Florida, and San Juan, and Ponce, PR.

considering that scrubs can/are part of the dress code, it isnt bad at all.

pomelolover said:
what! dress code! :eek: someone needs to give this school a reality check... what kind of stone age are they living in!? that is ludricious:rolleyes:

I'm going into my second year at Nova and I am at the West Palm Beach satellite campus. In response to your concerns with distance technology, you shouldn't have any. Honestly, being at the west palm site is just like sitting in the classroom in Ft. Lauderdale. You see the professor live. We have plasma screen TV's with the powerpoint presentations and the sound is loud and clear. The only problem I have experienced thus far is weather. When there are thunderstorms, the connection may go down for a few minutes but the professor will wait until all sites are reconnected until he/she proceeds with the lecture. This happens rarely. I know the dress code may discourage some people, but I wear scrubs everyday and to me its more comfortable than wearing jeans. As far as attendance - If you don't plan on being in class you really shouldn't be in pharmacy school anyway. Its not as lax and easy as people think.

-Mike

macinmike said:
I'm going into my second year at Nova and I am at the West Palm Beach satellite campus. In response to your concerns with distance technology, you shouldn't have any. Honestly, being at the west palm site is just like sitting in the classroom in Ft. Lauderdale. You see the professor live. We have plasma screen TV's with the powerpoint presentations and the sound is loud and clear. The only problem I have experienced thus far is weather. When there are thunderstorms, the connection may go down for a few minutes but the professor will wait until all sites are reconnected until he/she proceeds with the lecture. This happens rarely. I know the dress code may discourage some people, but I wear scrubs everyday and to me its more comfortable than wearing jeans. As far as attendance - If you don't plan on being in class you really shouldn't be in pharmacy school anyway. Its not as lax and easy as people think.

-Mike

Mike,

How does the cost of living in WPB or Palm Beach county compare to Ft. Lauderdale or Broward county?

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureRxGal said:
Mike,

How does the cost of living in WPB or Palm Beach county compare to Ft. Lauderdale or Broward county?

It is relatively a little more expensive in WPB. Not by much though. I would say that rent averages about $75 - $150 more per month.

I attend NOVA's distance site in West Palm Beach. Unlike Creighton's program, it is not web-based. At West Palm, we have an admissions office, many classrooms, a lab, and a small number of on-site faculty.

Sorry, I was referring to the compressed video you are shown.

We watch the lectures (most of which come from the main campus in Ft Lauderdale) live on a videoconference. Attendance at all lectures is mandatory for every site (FTL, WPB and Puerto Rico). There are additional distance sites at NOVA, which offer the post-bac Pharm D only. Currently, the entry level Pharm D is offered in Lauderdale, West Palm, and Puerto Rico.

What's this experience like? Is the video quality or pixelated? I'm really interested in the Puerto Rico site. I live in California but would love to visit and go to pharmacy school in Puerto Rico. How are labs conducted? Do you think you're provided with ample means of communicating with faculty/lectureres?

There is a microphone on the desks between every two students at all the campuses. When a student needs to speak, he/she first presses the button to turn the mic on, and the other campuses will hear the question over the speakers. When a student begins to speak, the video cameras automatically show the room where the person is speaking. The cameras automatically switch back to the professor when he/she starts to speak again.

That sounds so hi tech and cool! Do you know how you are taught towards taking board exams? Is the teaching geared only towards the Florida Boards?? I was wondering in case I wanted to move back to California after I get a PharmD in Puerto Rico. Thanks for taking the time to look over all my questions. I really appreciate any inside info. you could provide me with.

JD_USD said:
What's this experience like? Is the video quality or pixelated?

How are labs conducted?

Do you think you're provided with ample means of communicating with faculty/lectureres?

Do you know how you are taught towards taking board exams? Is the teaching geared only towards the Florida Boards??

The quality of the video is very good. In our lecture-type classrooms (about 50 seats) at West Palm, we have a big screen on the front wall and TV screen(s) about halfway back. Usually during most of the lecture, we have a view of PowerPoint slides, or maybe the overhead projector screen. If the professor isn?t using the computer or overhead, then the camera will be on them instead. For me, watching a lecture from West Palm seems very similar to watching it live. If you're the type that likes to run down and see the professor after the lectures, it may be a little harder to get used to. There is only 10 minutes between classes though, so meeting with a professor right after a class isn?t usually possible.

We have smaller classrooms with videoconferencing set-ups for us to videoconference with a professor if it becomes necessary. Normally though, I would just e-mail a professor with a question. Also, we have a facilitator (who has a pharm D) that sits in on the lectures, as well as a technician, in case the videoconference starts to have issues (in thunderstorms, etc).

As far as labs -- we have an actual lab room on site.

I think most of the students plan on practicing in Florida, but our professors have mentioned that if we plan on taking other states' boards, to make sure to keep up with particular requirements that that state may have that are in addition to Florida's. I think 40+ (out of 50) of the West Palm P1s are Florida residents. I know in previous years, NOVA students have been successful in passing boards in other states. I think every situation is unique.

::Bump::

Any more/other input about the Puerto Rico satelite site? I'm most interested in where students would live and the distance from the school. I would also like to know if spanish is greatly emphasized or even used at all. And how are rotations handled? Is it difficult to get work as an intern in Puerto Rico if you're not fluent en espanol?

JD_USD said:
::Bump::

Any more/other input about the Puerto Rico satelite site? I'm most interested in where students would live and the distance from the school. I would also like to know if spanish is greatly emphasized or even used at all. And how are rotations handled? Is it difficult to get work as an intern in Puerto Rico if you're not fluent en espanol?

Unfortunately, I don't know the answers to your questions about the Puerto Rico site :confused: . I would visit their web page and email one of the program coordinators for information. http://pharmacy.nova.edu/PR/main.html

(they do have a very nice classroom in Puerto Rico - with Plasma TV screens and comfortable looking chairs) (thats about all I know about that site) :D

NOt everyone learns by class. If it was truly necessary, they wouldn't need an attendance policy. HOw strict isthis policy and how many classes a day through the years?

-Mike

If you meet the prereqs, have a high gpa, and worked as a pharmacy tech; can you get into Nova after 2yrs?

Sorry, I was referring to the compressed video you are shown.

What's this experience like? Is the video quality or pixelated? I'm really interested in the Puerto Rico site. I live in California but would love to visit and go to pharmacy school in Puerto Rico. How are labs conducted? Do you think you're provided with ample means of communicating with faculty/lectureres?

That sounds so hi tech and cool! Do you know how you are taught towards taking board exams? Is the teaching geared only towards the Florida Boards?? I was wondering in case I wanted to move back to California after I get a PharmD in Puerto Rico. Thanks for taking the time to look over all my questions. I really appreciate any inside info. you could provide me with.

Hey I am a first year student at PR (Puerto Rico)also happen to be from the great state of Cali. Pm me with your questions and I will be more than happy to answer them.