Nova vs. Hahnemann

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davissm75

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both Nova DO and Hahnemann MD program in Philadelphia this fall, and I really wanted to get some feedback from Nova students about their experience at Nova. I really like the philosophy of the DO degree, and I enjoyed my time in Fort Lauderdale during my interview.
however, when deciding on a school I ultimately want the best academics and hospital rotations I can achieve.
I would like to know specifically how good Nova students feel the faculty and facilities are at Nova, and what their experiences have been with rotations.
Thanks!
SD

Members don't see this ad.

I will be attending Nova this year and choose it over PCOM and UHS-COM. PCOM acually uses MCP Hahnemann as its core hospital now since theirs closed down. Just an interesting tidbit. If you want some replies from current students try posting on the Osteopathic student forum instead of this one. Good luck and if you want to go DO, I'm sure you wont be disappointed at Nova.

In regards to your question... I am a second year at PCOM and can tell you from what I know, MCP is a "pcom reject" school. I know at least 15 students at MCP that were rejected from PCOM and went to MCP as default. From those 15 and a handful of other students I know at MCP, there is a consensus of unrest with their choice at MCP. In terms of curriculum and rotation wise, both are probably comparable. If you like the Osteopathic philosophy go for that. If being an MD is more important then ...

Good luck deciding. I am very happy with my osteopathic education and have a blast using and teaching other MD students in Philadelphia osteopathic manipulation.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I don't want to really go down this road..I've been here at MCP for three years, and I've never met ANYONE who wishes they were at PCOM. EVER! In fact I think the vast majority of people here really like their school, just as the PCOM poster likes theirs. Once I got in here, I immediately withdrew from all DO schools. By the way, PCOM and DO schools are fine, just not for me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by wiglif:
In regards to your question... I am a second year at PCOM and can tell you from what I know, MCP is a "pcom reject" school. I know at least 15 students at MCP that were rejected from PCOM and when to MCP as default. From those 15 and a handful of other students I know at MCP, there is a consensus of unrest with their choice at MCP. In terms of curriculum and rotation wise, both are probably comparable. If you like the Osteopathic philosophy go for that. If being an MD is more important then ...

Good luck deciding. I am very happy with my osteopathic education and have a blast using and teaching other MD students in Philadelphia osteopathic manipulation.

Hi all
Although I will not be a DO student until the fall, I am a 2nd year masters student at PCOM. And I believe some corrections are in order.

No offense wiglif, from my limited experience you may be a tad bit incorrect. There are in fact many people at PCOM, who were " mcp rejects". I don't refute your numbers ( although somebody will eventually), but I think MCP deserves way more credit than that. Even if MCP was a "pcom reject" school( I feel silly typing that
redface.gif
), I think we as future osteopathic physicians should have learned from our own past that no school should be judged on its admission criteria.

As for PCOM's hospital closing, PCOM didn't own the hospital anyway. Tenet Health Care System did. They did not see a reason to renuvate it, so they let it go. By the way Tenet owns MCP's hospitals as well. ( MCP is run by Tenet and Drexel University)

Now to answer davis's question, I know very little about NOVA. But as for MCP, the college has some of the best and most varied rotations that can be found anywhere. Also, I believe it is stronger than the average MD school in primary care. MCP also is curiously strong in women's health issues. It actually was one of the first, if not the first, to encourage the learning of femal health. Sadly, that's the best I can do.

To be honest, if you have a strong sense of personal motivation then you can't go wrong either way. Heck, you can do your first 2 years at NOVA and your rotations at MCP if you want to. Just concentrate on what your gut tells you about the each one.

In good faith,
bluphilosopher
PCOM 2005

PS. Try looking up both schools on www.interviewfeedback.com

PSS. I am not an MCP reject

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by wiglif:
In regards to your question... I am a second year at PCOM and can tell you from what I know, MCP is a "pcom reject" school. I know at least 15 students at MCP that were rejected from PCOM and when to MCP as default. From those 15 and a handful of other students I know at MCP, there is a consensus of unrest with their choice at MCP. In terms of curriculum and rotation wise, both are probably comparable. If you like the Osteopathic philosophy go for that. If being an MD is more important then ...

Hi all
Although I will not be a DO student until the fall, I am a 2nd year masters student at PCOM. And I believe some corrections are in order.

No offense wiglif, from my limited experience you may be a tad bit incorrect. There are in fact many people at PCOM, who were " mcp rejects". I don't refute your numbers ( although somebody will eventually), but I think MCP deserves way more credit than that. Even if MCP was a "pcom reject" school( I feel silly typing that
redface.gif
), I think we as future osteopathic physicians should have learned from our own past that no school should be judged on its admission criteria.

As for PCOM's hospital closing, PCOM didn't own the hospital anyway. Tenet Health Care System did. They did not see a reason to renuvate it, so they let it go. By the way Tenet owns MCP's hospitals as well. ( MCP is run by Tenet and Drexel University)

Now to answer davis's question, I know very little about NOVA. But as for MCP, the college has some of the best and most varied rotations that can be found anywhere. Also, I believe it is stronger than the average MD school in primary care. MCP also is curiously strong in women's health issues. It actually was one of the first, if not the first, to encourage the learning of femal health. Sadly, that's the best I can do.

To be honest, if you have a strong sense of personal motivation then you can't go wrong either way. Heck, you can do your first 2 years at NOVA and your rotations at MCP if you want to. Just concentrate on what your gut tells you about the each one.

In good faith,
bluphilosopher
PCOM 2005

PS. Try looking up both schools on www.interviewfeedback.com

PSS. I am not an MCP reject