Nova vs KCUMB vs DMU vs AZCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NSU vs KCUMB vs DMU vs AZCOM

• NSU

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • KCUMB

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • DMU

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • AZCOM

Votes: 12 13.0%

• Total voters

Lukat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This application season has been kind for me so far. I've been very fortunate to get accepted from these four schools: NSU, KCUMB, DMU and AZCOM :love:. I've been doing the research on each school to decide which on will be the best fit for me. At the beginning, I was very sure that my heart is set on NSU. However, the more I read, the more I start to like other schools, especially KCUMB.

As the deposit deadline draws nearer and I am still confused as ever :oops:, I would like to have some insides from students who are going/went to these schools. Any advises/suggestions/comments from others are greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a KCUMB MSII. I can't really speak for the other schools; I didn't apply to them. Ohio U was the only other DO school I considered.

I really like KCUMB. I was dead set on some of the other MD schools in my region, but was as impressed with KCUMB. You have to go with where it is the best fit. Look at the curriculum, look at the location, think about moving family (if that applies), etc.

Here is my take on KCUMB. It has a great curriculum. It's integrated by system. Some people, like me, like it. I have friends at other schools that love the subject approach (i.e. only anatomy, then only pharm, etc.) It all depends on your learning style.

KCUMB has a lot of really good lecturers and some not so good ones. It's the same as anywhere. In particular, the biggies are great. Pathology is amazing here. I've talked to the chair a couple of times. He's an MD from Northwestern, but says he's a DO at heart, for what that means. One of the smartest doctors I have ever met, a little daunting to approach. Anatomy, Physiology and Pharmacology are great too. If you're interested in OMT, we do labs throughout and there are plenty of opportunities. Kansas City is pretty cool. There's a good amount to do, when you have the time. The neighborhood isn't the greatest where the school is. But I'd say it's no different from older parts of other cities.

So, there's my pitch for KCUMB. But go where you think you'll learn the best. It's about the right place for you.

I'm a KCUMB MSII. I can't really speak for the other schools; I didn't apply to them. Ohio U was the only other DO school I considered.

I really like KCUMB. I was dead set on some of the other MD schools in my region, but was as impressed with KCUMB. You have to go with where it is the best fit. Look at the curriculum, look at the location, think about moving family (if that applies), etc.

Here is my take on KCUMB. It has a great curriculum. It's integrated by system. Some people, like me, like it. I have friends at other schools that love the subject approach (i.e. only anatomy, then only pharm, etc.) It all depends on your learning style.

KCUMB has a lot of really good lecturers and some not so good ones. It's the same as anywhere. In particular, the biggies are great. Pathology is amazing here. I've talked to the chair a couple of times. He's an MD from Northwestern, but says he's a DO at heart, for what that means. One of the smartest doctors I have ever met, a little daunting to approach. Anatomy, Physiology and Pharmacology are great too. If you're interested in OMT, we do labs throughout and there are plenty of opportunities. Kansas City is pretty cool. There's a good amount to do, when you have the time. The neighborhood isn't the greatest where the school is. But I'd say it's no different from older parts of other cities.

So, there's my pitch for KCUMB. But go where you think you'll learn the best. It's about the right place for you.

Thank you, babdoc. I appreciate your input. I do really like the genesis system at KCUMB. It really makes a lot of sense to me. The matchlist is quite impressive as well. My main concern with KCUMB was the location. I heard that the neighborhood is not very good. Also students will have to move around for rotations.

Any other take, please?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, babdoc. I appreciate your input. I do really like the genesis system at KCUMB. It really makes a lot of sense to me. The matchlist is quite impressive as well. My main concern with KCUMB was the location. I heard that the neighborhood is not very good. Also students will have to move around for rotations.

Any other take, please?

I've never really felt unsafe in the neighborhood. You just have to be smart about it if you live in the apt building across the street--walk with friends, take care at night (even drive if you don't want to walk), carry mace, etc. It might not be as bad to me b/c I've lived in the inner city before (undergrad). Or your other option is to live somewhere else in the city. There are A LOT of options in the city and commuting really isn't that bad.

As for rotations, basically anyone that wants to stay in KC for rotations can. All of the hospitals here are great. But, there are a lot of really good sites to choose from elsewhere too. My take is that any medical student is going to move around several times (residency, fellowship, etc.) So, one more move isn't really that big of a deal for me.

Good luck on choosing your school. It's great you have the options this early! Probably a welcome dilemma!

I've never really felt unsafe in the neighborhood. You just have to be smart about it if you live in the apt building across the street--walk with friends, take care at night (even drive if you don't want to walk), carry mace, etc. It might not be as bad to me b/c I've lived in the inner city before (undergrad). Or your other option is to live somewhere else in the city. There are A LOT of options in the city and commuting really isn't that bad.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard lots of great things about KCUMB. I have a friend who's a second year there who loves it. But on the safety issue, aren't you downplaying it a little? Didn't you guys have an armed carjacking on campus in broad daylight a few weeks ago? My friend said two first years were robbed at gunpoint in the morning in the parking lot right outside the lecture hall.

I don't think that hurts KCUMB as it's a great school from what I've heard and well respected with an impressive match list, but I think people should know all the facts.

NOVA!!!!!!!

They no longer require medical spanish (it just became an elective) so my one reservation is now gone......YES! IM GOING TO NOVA!

Don't get me wrong, I've heard lots of great things about KCUMB. I have a friend who's a second year there who loves it. But on the safety issue, aren't you downplaying it a little? Didn't you guys have an armed carjacking on campus in broad daylight a few weeks ago? My friend said two first years were robbed at gunpoint in the morning in the parking lot right outside the lecture hall.

I don't think that hurts KCUMB as it's a great school from what I've heard and well respected with an impressive match list, but I think people should know all the facts.

I don't think I'm down playing it. You're right. That did happen a few weeks ago. But honestly, that's the only thing like this. But, I wouldn't say that it's in broad daylight. I believe it was at like 630 or 7am, which is still dark this time of the year. I suppose it's a matter of perspective. I have never felt uncomfortable. It's not a good neighborhood, but the worst part is to the east. KCUMB seems to be right at the edge. The incident that happened a few weeks ago was not due to a lack of anything on the students' or school's part. As I understand, the perps were walking along the road next to the school and saw the opportunity. It didn't sound like they were hiding in the bushes waiting for an unsuspecting student. The school is ramping up the security more than they already were. They were already putting in a new key card system, etc. before this thing ever happened. Now, they're adding more security guards on off hours, and other measures.

My take is that as long as you're smart about it, you'll be fine. Carry mace, walk with friends, drive, etc. You have to adjust to living in the inner city. You'll get a great education. I'm sure you would at other places too. Just pick which you feel is the best fit for you.

It was at 7:30 in the morning and it actually was broad daylight. They were approached in the parking lot and the car was stolen. Security has been beefed up and the school president took full responsibility for what happened (though I don't think he or anyone else could have predicted this would happen). They really are trying to keep the students safe. It's just a rough neighborhood.

That said, I'm a second year and I love KCUMB. I would have hated a school that had a standard basic science curriculum where you study biochem, micro, anatomy, etc. without clinical correlations. I love the systems-based curriculum and I feel like I'm learning medicine, not just random facts in a textbook.

I can't speak for the other schools on your list, but I can tell you that I'm very happy that I chose KCUMB.

Hi everyone,

This application season has been kind for me so far. I've been very fortunate to get accepted from these four schools: NSU, KCUMB, DMU and AZCOM :love:. I've been doing the research on each school to decide which on will be the best fit for me. At the beginning, I was very sure that my heart is set on NSU. However, the more I read, the more I start to like other schools, especially KCUMB.

As the deposit deadline draws nearer and I am still confused as ever :oops:, I would like to have some insides from students who are going/went to these schools. Any advises/suggestions/comments from others are greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you so much

Among these schools, I'd say DMU all the way baby. I interviewed there and if I hadn't been waitlisted I'd have gone there in a heartbeat. Great campus, a strong sense of camaraderie among the students, decent rotations (or so I've heard), and a pretty good match list too.

I found KCUMB's campus awfully scary at my interview, and this is coming from someone who had lived on Case's downtown Cleveland campus (pretty sketchy, I'd witnessed armed robberies) for 4 years beforehand. Do they still have that hotel that was renting out rooms by the hour across the street?

It was at 7:30 in the morning and it actually was broad daylight.

Thanks for the clarification. I was going off of memory. It would be light at 730.

@dozitgetchahi, yeah. It's pretty sketchy at times. I've been around Case before. That is a sketchy area. A cousin of mine went to Cleveland Art and lived in the nastiest apt I've ever seen in Murray Hill. I wouldn't say it's any worse than Cleveland.

And, yes, I probably wouldn't advise people to stay at either of those hotels for their interview. Whether or not they rent by the hour, I don't know. hahaha

Bottom line, mdang86, you have to go where you think you'll do the best. I really like the systems curriculum too. It keeps it in perspective and helps get the point across that the biochem, phys, etc. really do matter and are important in medicine. There's going to be pros and cons about each school. KCUMB's is it's neighborhood. That might be a major factor for you; I don't know. Don't go off a poll. You're fortunate enough to have this problem; you have several schools to pick from. Go where you think you'll excel the most. Because you're not really doing it for the 2-4 years you'll be at the school (depending on rotations). You're doing this so you know as much as possible so you can do well by your patients for your whole career.

Last edited:
NOVA!!!!!!!

They no longer require medical spanish (it just became an elective) so my one reservation is now gone......YES! IM GOING TO NOVA!

Where'd u hear you no longer have to take medical spanish? That may be incorrect. Our first semester spanish was mandatory but after complaining we received an email saying that spanish for the 2nd semester would be optional. A few days later we get another email saying that taking spanish is still mandatory but having to take it in a class room setting is optional, we are now given the "option" of taking it online instead

To be honest I'm suspicious that the school lies to applicants on purpose to get them to come here. Me and a bunch of my friends were told in separate interviews that all our classes would be recorded. What they neglected to tell us was that all the basic science professors(anatomy, histology, bchem, physiology) refuse to allow their lectures to be recorded.

Where'd u hear you no longer have to take medical spanish? That may be incorrect. Our first semester spanish was mandatory but after complaining we received an email saying that spanish for the 2nd semester would be optional. A few days later we get another email saying that taking spanish is still mandatory but having to take it in a class room setting is optional, we are now given the "option" of taking it online instead

To be honest I'm suspicious that the school lies to applicants on purpose to get them to come here. Me and a bunch of my friends were told in separate interviews that all our classes would be recorded. What they neglected to tell us was that all the basic science professors(anatomy, histology, bchem, physiology) refuse to allow their lectures to be recorded.

WhissleBlower, the school didn't lie about the Spanish class with interviewees. There was a SDNer who is Nova student, he/she misunderstood about that email (he/she thought it was no longer required) and posted on here. I, in turn, quoted his/her in the pre-osteo forum. He/she then has realized that was a misunderstanding, came back and clarified it. I really appreciate your opinions on the pro and cons of the school in the Nova thread in the pre-osteo forum but I thought you might be a little too harsh jumping into conclusion this time.

To other posters who have chimed in their perspectives, thank you very much. It's nice to have different opinions.

Members don't see this ad :)
To all the current KCUMB students - is it unsafe to bring a nice car if you have one? I'm planning on living in CT next year and after reading about the neighborhood I'm worried about my car (I don't care about getting mugged or roughed up myself - I can hold my own, I just can't have anything happen to my baby). This is probably my biggest concern, in every other regard KCUMB rocks and I can't wait to get there!

Last edited:
To all the current KCUMB students - is it unsafe to bring a nice car if you have one? I have a small yellow roadster convertible that I love with all my heart and I would die if anything were to happen to it. I'm planning on living in CT next year and after reading about the neighborhood I'm worried about my car (I don't care about getting mugged or roughed up myself - I can hold my own, I just can't have anything happen to my baby). This is probably my biggest concern, in every other regard KCUMB rocks and I can't wait to get there!

Yeah, I'll be bringing my baby (my car) with me also. I asked and CT said their parking lot is enclosed by gates. Has anyone had any issues with their cars over at CT/School?

To all the current KCUMB students - is it unsafe to bring a nice car if you have one? I have a small yellow roadster convertible that I love with all my heart and I would die if anything were to happen to it. I'm planning on living in CT next year and after reading about the neighborhood I'm worried about my car (I don't care about getting mugged or roughed up myself - I can hold my own, I just can't have anything happen to my baby). This is probably my biggest concern, in every other regard KCUMB rocks and I can't wait to get there!

I think it'd be okay to leave it in the CT parking lot. It's gated and most people just leave their cars at CT and walk to school. It might be nice to drive if it's dark, but I'm not sure if I'd leave a nice car in a KCUMB lot late at night. I'd say just walk over to school in a group when it's late.

Yeah, I'll be bringing my baby (my car) with me also. I asked and CT said their parking lot is enclosed by gates. Has anyone had any issues with their cars over at CT/School?

There are BMWs, Lexuses, etc. in the CT lot. It's probably the safest place to keep your car if you live there. I've never heard of any problems at CT.

I don't live in CT, so I can't speak to that, but I will tell you that it is gated, as Babdoc said. I haven't heard of people having problems.

That said, a friend of mine had her car broken into the first night she was in Kansas City (downtown), but they didn't steal the car. You just have to be smart about where you park and when. The school parking lots have video cameras, so it isn't a free-for-all, but a lot of people prefer to park on the street. If you drive to school, you may want to avoid street parking and park where there are cameras. Just a little extra security!

Also, several weeks ago we had an incident that's already been discussed. Because of that, they beefed up security. The guards patrol the lots constantly and I imagine that'll be the case for a while, if not forever.

To the original poster, I'm happy at KCUMB, so of course that's where my vote goes. I've found the professors/administration to be helpful and I love the curriculum.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

I think it'd be okay to leave it in the CT parking lot. It's gated and most people just leave their cars at CT and walk to school. It might be nice to drive if it's dark, but I'm not sure if I'd leave a nice car in a KCUMB lot late at night. I'd say just walk over to school in a group when it's late.

There are BMWs, Lexuses, etc. in the CT lot. It's probably the safest place to keep your car if you live there. I've never heard of any problems at CT.

Thank you for the info.

I don't live in CT, so I can't speak to that, but I will tell you that it is gated, as Babdoc said. I haven't heard of people having problems.

That said, a friend of mine had her car broken into the first night she was in Kansas City (downtown), but they didn't steal the car. You just have to be smart about where you park and when. The school parking lots have video cameras, so it isn't a free-for-all, but a lot of people prefer to park on the street. If you drive to school, you may want to avoid street parking and park where there are cameras. Just a little extra security!

Also, several weeks ago we had an incident that's already been discussed. Because of that, they beefed up security. The guards patrol the lots constantly and I imagine that'll be the case for a while, if not forever.

To the original poster, I'm happy at KCUMB, so of course that's where my vote goes. I've found the professors/administration to be helpful and I love the curriculum.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Thanks guys, I think I should be fine so I'll just bring her along and hope for the best.

I gotta say the results of this poll surprise me. Would people still feel the same way about what happened with KCUMB's dean? What about after living a year in podunk Iowa?

Hmmmmm these are factors you appreciate when you're in school.

I gotta say the results of this poll surprise me. Would people still feel the same way about what happened with KCUMB's dean? What about after living a year in podunk Iowa?

Hmmmmm these are factors you appreciate when you're in school.

What happened with KCUMB's dean? If you mean the president, that was last year and she was fired. Why would that affect a student starting in the C/O 2015?

What happened with KCUMB's dean? If you mean the president, that was last year and she was fired. Why would that affect a student starting in the C/O 2015?

My bad, it was the president. What happens when a company gets a new president? There is a period of transition right? I'd try to avoid things like that especially given what she was fired for.

As far as any issue with presidents etc... I go to KCUMB and have never interacted nor seen the president except for when he addressed our class about the car stealing incident. If he wasnt there no one would know (although he did have an open breakfast for anyone one day). The point being your interaction with your school's leaders is so minimal to 99% of your class that it should have 0-0.0001% weight in which school you decide on. Since I dont go to the other schools the main reason I prefered KCUMB over NSU and DMU was that KCUMB only has medical students on campus opposed to the gigantic array of grad programs at the other schools (KCUMB does have Masters of ethics and biosciences, but you never see or interact with those guys unless they are dual degree). My friend at Nova said it was like they had a hierarchy that was determined by what grad school you were in because you wore different scrub colors to distinguish. Yea so point being dont focus on the president being fired thing for your decision.

Yea so point being dont focus on the president being fired thing for your decision.

I respectfully disagree. Although I rarely see the president of my school she wasn't caught for basically floating money from the school for her own private affairs.

I care where my tuition money goes even if I don't have much of a say in it.

I don't think you can judge KCUMB by one person's actions though. I'm just saying it is something to take into consideration.