Nova vs. PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barbjs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been accepted to PCOM and Nova and I am really having a hard time making a decision between the two. I think that PCOM has a great reputation but Nova is a great school too. Does anyone know about rotations and residencies in these schools. Is it easy to get out of state rotations and residencies at both?

Members don't see this ad.

I had gone through a similar decision process just over a year ago. PCOM is great, but there are so many med schools in the area, the competition is great and some of the PCOM students had said they were stuck in hospitals they didn't want to go to. NSU is 1 of 2 med schools in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm area. I was truly impressed with the opportunities, as well as with the dean and Dr. Elaine Wallace, head of OPP dept.
Check out the 2006 class website;
<a href="http://www.nsucom2006.com" target="_blank">NSU-COM Class of 2006 Webpage</a>
On the site is listed the hospitals that you'd rotate through, as well as an endless amount of facts. I am a current M-1 and have met/talked to many of the incoming students-a bunch of go getters in the 2006 class!

Kate

I can see how that is a tough decision. I had to make that decision just 3 days ago. I decided to go to NOVA. I thought Nova provided the best chance to advance my career as a DO. Right now I am on the waiting list of 6 alloopathic schools. If one of them accepts me I'm probably going to go if that school is better. However, I thought NOVA provided the best opportunity to advance my career as a DO. I think PCOM is more of the allopath of the osteopaths. So, If my destiny is DO then I'm going to do it right. I'm probably going to get an OMM fellowship and NOVA offered a better program. Plus you asked about rotations. I taked to Dr. Geagatano head of residencies at NOVA and he said that there is first criteria and 2nd criteria that gets you into a residencies. I first criteria is: How did the student perform during on-site rotations and 2nd: the grades and boared scores. I think since NOVA offers 5 free electives during 4th year, you have a better chance of rotating through a hospital you want to get a residency in.

Plus how can you pass up the cool tropical breeze.

I'm buying a house down there if an allopath school doesn't come calling. Not that I'm MD envy, it just that tuition would be 13-15K less.

TTYL

Have a great day

Adam Kotowski

Thanks,
Yeah, I have decided to go to Nova. THere were just so many things that I loved about it. About the warm summer breeze, I am afraid that I am going to die from heat, being from up North and all, but I guess it will be ok. Thanks for the info.
barb