Nova vs Rocky Vista

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

My Precious

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two acceptances, so I'm having trouble deciding between Nova Southeastern University and Rocky Vista University. Nova has three big pros - it is close to home, it is on the east coast (where I am more comfortable), and has the obviously better weather. Rocky Vista, on the other hand, impressed me on the interview day and I like the program better than Nova.

Which one would you go to?

Members don't see this ad.

RVU was my third choice until I interviewed there, then it quickly became #1. The city is fantastic, the students seem really happy, and they seem to really care about you. The last one was very important to me and when I went to my interview I made sure to see if everyone was generally happy or not there. One student actually kept contact with me and answered all of my questions post interview. After I was accepted, I then cancelled my three remaining interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I voted RVU before reading your post. But it seems like being close to home is very important to you. So for you I would say go to Nova

Reactions: 1 user
Both are great places, it probably just comes down to location TBH

I can't say much about RVU since I never interviewed there but I can say after interviewing at Nova I knew it was the place for me which is why I will be attending this fall. They seem to be very involved with their students and are caring at that too. I can't compare RVUs curriculum but Nova's seems to be good and working hence their decent match list (RVU also has a good match list though). Also the two things that were huge pros for me was the access to research students have and their very solid rotation sites Nova has. I think if being close to family is important to you Nova could possibly make you "happier", but then again you have to love the school yourself to make the best decision for you. Good luck! :)

It's funny how everyone, including me, was all doom and gloom about RVU when they first opened.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed and was accepted at RVU. I have yet to receive a decision from my local school, but if they do accept me, I can say that RVU has pretty much done everything that they can to make my decision between the two schools one of the most difficult decisions that I've ever had to make. At this current moment in time, if Nova were to give me an II I would definitely attend because I've only heard good things about it. Though I know way more about RVU, I think they're both fantastic and so I think Nova would be better for you since you consider its location a pro.

It sounds like everyone has nothing to say but good things for either schools. Can anyone speak for something they didn't like about either program?

It sounds like everyone has nothing to say but good things for either schools. Can anyone speak for something they didn't like about either program?

I have never been to Nova but it is often complained about in these forums about their rural rotation they make you do right in the middle of 4th year audition season. And I think they limit how many rotations you can do in a certain specialty. Someone with more knowledge is free to correct me though

I have never been to Nova but it is often complained about in these forums about their rural rotation they make you do right in the middle of 4th year audition season. And I think they limit how many rotations you can do in a certain specialty. Someone with more knowledge is free to correct me though

At NSU, There is a 2 month required rural rotation but which months you are assigned to do it is through a random lottery. You could end up with it in the middle of 4th year audition season or it could be in the spring of 4th year. The limit on rotations per specialty is 2 months. But you can do rotations in sub specialty that do not count against that limit. For example, you can do 2 months of general surgery, then another month of neurosurgery etc. NSU also has somewhat high cost of living. Apartments and condos around Davie, FL are pretty expensive. I'm not sure how the cost of living compares to RVU.

I haven't done much research into RVU so I don't know a lot of negatives about them. But I do know they are fairly new so the alumni base might not be that big and the school might not be as well recognized around hospitals. NSU has been around a while and well-known in South Florida hospitals. I'm not sure whether or not this matters much when it actually comes to getting a residency.

Edit: For more info about NSU, check out this detailed review of the program by a current M3
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pros-and-cons-of-your-do-school.407104/page-28#post-17024600

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Agree.
I do agree that RVU has made a positive impression, but Nova has been around quite awhile and is obviously more established. I'm also assuming Denver still makes RVU students pay for rotations if they want to rotate there.

Also, I wish I would have put closeness to family higher up on my list when choosing a school. It's much more important than you can realize right now.

I have no doubt Nova is a fine institution but the required rural rotation is something I'd regret getting myself roped into.

Agree.
I do agree that RVU has made a positive impression, but Nova has been around quite awhile and is obviously more established. I'm also assuming Denver still makes RVU students pay for rotations if they want to rotate there.

Also, I wish I would have put closeness to family higher up on my list when choosing a school. It's much more important than you can realize right now.

CU makes all osteopathic students pay to rotate at CU hospitals in Denver (4k for 4 weeks). Of course, there are plenty of great non-CU hospitals in Denver and at least one non-Denver CU hospital that you can rotate at without paying the unfortunate DO fee.

I have two acceptances, so I'm having trouble deciding between Nova Southeastern University and Rocky Vista University. Nova has three big pros - it is close to home, it is on the east coast (where I am more comfortable), and has the obviously better weather. Rocky Vista, on the other hand, impressed me on the interview day and I like the program better than Nova.

If you really think RVU has a better program you should go there unless being out of your home environment for 4 years is too hard a thing to do. What about the RVU program do you like better?

Go where you will be happy the most. If family is the most important thing then stay in FL. If you thought RVU was a better program then go there. Both programs will get you where you want to go.

If you really think RVU has a better program you should go there unless being out of your home environment for 4 years is too hard a thing to do. What about the RVU program do you like better?

If I were to guess people really like the fact that the curriculum is focused on prepping students for USMLE and COMLEX

Let's cut to the important stuff: seafood or steak?

I didn't know much about RVU but from what I've been reading, the school seems comparable to NSU. I plan on matriculating at NSU, it felt like home to me. Plus on the practical end, they are pretty established and S fla has some nice hospitals and a diverse population. I was also raised about 30 mins from the school and I have family who are alum. They also record lectures which I LOVE, I need that to keep replaying and replaying info I won't understand. That being said, those were personal reasons on why NSU was a great choice for me.

Your reasons may be different. I was debating between NSU and another school. NSU truely made me excited to start school. I don't normally advise people to go with emotions, but for schools that seem to be comparable in every aspect, go to the one where you're excited to learn and be a part of.

Let's cut to the important stuff: seafood or steak?

How about both! I'm hungry now.

OP this is a very hard decision. RVU and Nova both have had a pretty solid track record in terms of graduate placement. I would say maybe take into account the fact that Nova would be more of a university feel to it (having an undergrad campus there) while RVU would be a bit more focused perhaps.

Reactions: 2 users
Another good Q to ask yourself...

Snowboarding or sunbathing?

i withdrew my interview invitation from rvu after getting into dmu. i have an interview scheduled with nova next month, but dmu impressed me so much that i will likely to withdraw from nova as well. would you guys say both dmu and nova are about the same in terms of preparing you for the board and clinical opportunities?