pros
  • Veteran school
  • Nice rotation sites
  • Good match rates to competitive specialties
  • Plenty of research opportunities
  • International outreach opportunities seem above average
  • High tech facilities
  • ~100k CoA
  • Less than desirable board scores the past few years despite them being a veteran school
  • In 2018, 11/218 students did not match
  • They have a new MD school so it's hard to tell if these problems will get worse before they get better
  • Far away from home (NY)
  • Goro disapproves of it
UNECOM
pros
  • Also an established school
  • Strong board scores
  • Student run clinic
  • P/F grading
  • Smaller class size
  • Overall it just seems very solid
cons
  • Also expensive
  • Rotations are fairly rural
  • Focus on primary care (I have no specialty in mind, but would prefer to not be committed to PC)
  • Not much international outreach
LECOM-Erie
pros
  • Very low CoA
  • <3hrs from home
cons
  • Cadaver prosection
  • Haven’t heard great things about their rotation sites or administration
  • Some oddities- can’t eat or drink it class, library isn’t open 24/7
To sum it up, I think Nova has the most appealing match list, rotation, etc. But it also has some very large red flags. LECOM I would go to for the low cost, and UNECOM seems solid all around. I don’t really care about location, but I would put Ft. Lauderdale > others.
Thanks for taking the time to read.

Jun 28, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The factors I consider the most important are: cost, prestige, family, and maybe the P/F grading. There isn’t any real “prestige” difference between the 3, although I think many people would say UNECOM > LECOM > Nova. The cost and family categories definitely go to LECOM, and the grading goes to UNECOM. After all that, I think that LECOM is the winner. Cost and family are huge factors, and LECOM is not just slightly cheaper. It’s $100k cheaper before interest that you would accumulate over a decade of training. Very few factors affect you for years after you graduate, and how much you took out in loans is definitely one of them.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.