Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Nova??

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by davissm75, Mar 26, 2001.

1. davissm75

davissm75 New Member

I have been accepted into Nova's class this fall and I wanted to get some more information from Nova students about the academics and rotations available. Specifically, i would like to know how Nova students feel about their education in and out of the classroom. How are the choices for rotations, and what are some good or bad experiences? are there more rotations in hospitals or in private practices? I have also heard mixed things about the Dean and his practices, and I would like some understanding of how this affects student morale.
    Thanks!!
    SD

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RollTide

RollTide Senior Member

I am not even sure what you mean by doing rotations at private practices rather than a hospital. How do you do a EM or surgery rotation at a private practice? Your IGC mentoring program your first two years will take place in a clinic but has nothing to do with your rotations. If I were you I would take a look at the current M2 webpage at www.nsucom2003.com. Greg has links to many of the NSU affiliated hospitals and might give you a better idea of what your clinical rotations might look like.
    The vast majority of students at NSUCOM ( or at least of those I talk to on a daily basis)think very highly of Dean Silvagni. I have had the opportunity to meet him a few times and have always been impressed with his vision for NSU. What you may hear are things similar to the things that were being said at UHS-COM when he was the Dean there, complaints about the attendance policy, the dress code ect.ect. Although I certainly have violated both of these policies on multiple occasions :)P) , I still understand why these policies are in place. Medical students NEED things to complain about, its our nature, but if given the opportunity, I would choose NSUCOM again. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

4. dojo

dojo Junior Member

RollTide,
    I'm attending NSU-COM this August as a MSI and was woundering if the students get together to buy all the gear that they will need, instruments etc.., so as to get a better price and also do they have a note taking service. Any info would be appreciated. Also about how much was it for first year books. Thanks in advance.
    dojo

5. RollTide

RollTide Senior Member

Don't buy anything except a couple of pairs of scrubs until after you speak with the m2s during your first week.

6. ufgoddess1

ufgoddess1 Junior Member

are you a current student?]

7. j8463dp

j8463dp Member

Hello ,

I thought I'd add myself to this list of people who I will be surviving the trenches with the next couple years. Does anyone have any tips regarding the amount of $ to ask for in loans? Should I ask for the total 40,000? I can't wait for July 30th! It should be a fun week! and fun year.

j

8. j8463dp:

TAKE ALL THE MONEY