NOVA's dresscode

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goku

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do guys really have to wear shirt and ties to class?? is a dress shirt sufficient?? are scrubs ok? I dont have a problem dressing up but its gonna be a little uncomfortable in the heat, dont you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I hear, it is affirmative to all of your questions. However, the students have the option of wearing scrubs, which should not be uncomfortable in the heat. I also heard that the students have to wear their white coats at all times. Maybe someone who currently attends there can confirm some of this.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by muonwhiz:
From what I hear, it is affirmative to all of your questions. However, the students have the option of wearing scrubs, B]•

I find it very amusing that a school has a dress code which requires the wearing of a shirt and tie.......however, if the student wants, they can wear scrubs instead. This is perhaps one of the most ridiculous rules I have ever heard. On one hand, a shirt and tie is quite professional and business-like. On the other hand, scrubs are about the lowest form of dress that I can think of! I have seen many bums on the street who were dressed in much better attire than scrubs! Scrubs are about as low as wearing rags all over your body. So this school tells you that if you don't want to wear the shirt and tie, it is ok for you to cover yourself with blue or green rags? HAHA!! The stupidity makes me laugh.
-your most underdressed Liquid

Members don't see this ad :)

I have been to Nova many times and have seen students in both dress and scrubs. The scrubs acually do not look bad and even look better than jeans and a tee shirt and since this is a medical school it is ap pro po. During residency and life as a doctor we will have to dress this way every day so we might as well get used to it. On the bright side, we should be able to tie a tie better than other medstudents by the time we graduate and any time saved during residency is gold. As to heat, this is Florida and we have great air conditioners.

I'm a 2nd year at NSU-COM...

Yes, you have to wear either:
Shirt and tie for men
Nice dress clothes for women (slacks, skirt, blouse, dress, blah blah)
or
scrubs

You are supposed to also wear your white coats at all times, too... but that doesn't always happen.

Wearing scrubs is great, by the way, its like going to work in your pajamas. You just roll outa bed and slap 'em on. Can't beat it.

And as for looking "unprofessional" in scrubs, and that bums wear better attire... I can say that when you walk around the campus (the other programs wear scrubs as well) and someone is NOT in uniform, i.e. jeans and a t-shirt, that looks unprofessional. When I walk around a hospital, I see everyone in scrubs, docs, nurses, techs, therapists... and that's fine with me. I don't smirk because they're not wearing a tie.

What's the point of instituting a dress code anyhow? Is it to make you guys "think professionally?"

Liquid, doesn't NYCOM also have a dress code? I think it just requires wearing the white coat, but even that's kinda silly!
smile.gif

------------------
Tim Wu.

guys...it's a shirt and a tie or pajama like scrubs...deal with it..it's not corporal punishment. It's a professional school with the attitude that it wants it's students looking and acting like professionals, not a difficult concept to apprehend. You're going to be wearing a shirt and tie in your office every day when you're a doc, so I don't think 2 years will hurt. By the way, many students also wear khakis and scrub tops, so you can mix and match it up a little as well. Anyway, who gives a **** when you're dissecting cadavers in scrubs anyway and don't have to get crap on your jeans and shirts anyway. Later. Can't wait to meet everyone this fall.

The point, goblue, is whether or not professional schools should require students to look like professionals. Will a certain manner of dress make incorrigible students "professional?"

There was a Warner Brothers cartoon when I was a kid where Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny, in a classic hunter vs. rabbit episode, stumbled across a box of hats and costumes that fell off the back of a passing truck. After putting on various hats, their personalities changed to suit the person who usually wears that hat.

Is that the same kind of nonsense the dress code is trying to perpetuate?

My school doesn't have a dress code. In fact, of all the med schools in the New York metropolitan area (7), I think only NYCOM has a dress code.

------------------
Tim Wu.

What other schools turtle, do, is not the point. What is the point is what nova does. It's their school, their rules!! It's not death, just a shirt and tie. If people are so adamant against a code, as you are you did, don't go!! When I visited, I didn't hear one student complain a bit about the dress code, and you better believe it was one of my top questions!! So, go to the source for some real input, and maybe your opinion will change. I also come from a prep school background and have shirts, ties and jackets my whole upbringing, so I am a little biased towards a dress code in the first place.

During my interview at Nova, Dean Silvagni put it this way. He wants to maintain a professional environment at the University and when the directors in charge of grant monies come around, it helps to impress them and ease Novas ability to be awarded funds. Appearances count in everything. Actually, the dress code at Nova is one of the factors that pursuaded me to choose it over PCOM and UHS-COM.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by dojo:
Actually, the dress code at Nova is one of the factors that pursuaded me to choose it over PCOM and UHS-COM.

Not to be rude, but you have issues.

But MEAT as MODERATOR would allow you to fully express them
smile.gif

VOTE MEAT
MAAT

Jester MAAT/MEAT, I think that your posts are funny, although maybe a dresscode could enforce some manners in you.
You should get a dresscode here on SDN; I think Lee would really appreciate that. This will definately get you elected to moderator status. Do I hear compaign manager?

Toran

i completely abided by nova's dress code for two years and look how i turned out!

uh, the attendance policy is a wholly separate topic.