Now Family Practice docs graduate in 3 years...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So LECOM is starting this program where people interested in family medicine can graduate in 3 years instead of 4. The idea is to reduce debt. Almost seems like they're creating a new kind of doctor that is halfway between a doc and PA/NP. What y'all think of this? I'm in favor of an effort to increase docs in rural america I guess...

The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) is taking a lead position in the future of medical education by introducing a new program to attract more physicians to family practice. LECOM is continuing its mission to help grow the osteopathic medical profession by starting a Primary Care Scholars Pathway (PCSP) that will reduce the time it takes to become a family physician.

The LECOM PCSP has received approval from the American Osteopathic Association Committee on Osteopathic College Accreditation and backing of the American College of Osteopathic Family Practice. The PCSP will condense four years of medical education into three years in order to graduate more family doctors sooner and to save these students one year of expenses that adds to the mounting debt held by medical college graduates...

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good idea and hopefully will increase the number of physicans in rural / underserved settings. However, I have a strong feeling that this only going to reinforce the medical "elite" long-held perception that DO's are only suited for cracking backs and primary care, espically if they go to school for one less year.

Is it correct to assume that they will not do a second clinical year and only do third year rotations at primary care / family practice clinical sites????

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it correct to assume that they will not do a second clinical year and only do third year rotations at primary care / family practice clinical sites????

basically, they start their third year in March, so they're doing a year and a few months instead of 2. they do their clerkships at very specific sites and I assume skip a lot of the specialties. the article explains years 3 and 4 are streamlined because students aren't shopping around for what specialty they want or getting clerkships at hospitals that have competitive residencies. the program includes you committing to do your residency at the Erie hospitals where you're doing your clerkships.

Do students apply into this program as they would a DO/PhD or is this a decision they make later?

So does family practice include if you do Pediatrics, also does LECOM program include their branch campus in Bradenton.

Do students apply into this program as they would a DO/PhD or is this a decision they make later?

Fall 2007 is the first time they're doing it and according to their wesbite, the students will be chosen in October after they've finished their Anatomy block (3 months into the semester). As time goes on, I am not sure how they'll be chosen.

So does family practice include if you do Pediatrics, also does LECOM program include their branch campus in Bradenton.

It says primary care with an emphasis on FM. So it's kind of hazy. It seems like Peds would be included. I don't know about Bradenton. You can check out their website and see if it says somewhere... http://www.lecom.edu

It is a nice idea in concept...but how many people truly go in their intended field that they were into their first semester? I mean...it is almost like undergrad again as far as interests go. You like something because you have a specific picture in your head of what it'll be...but occassionally it doesn't pan out like that and you want something else. I have a fear it'd do not much more than create the occassional happy doc, and more bitter ones that they didn't give the other stuff a shot that could truly make them happy. If people are that interested in primary care then there are plenty of loan reimbursment programs for going to an underserved area. If you want to serve in a particular area sometimes you can even talk to a hospital admin or something and work a deal out. A few months ago i talked to a guy from my hometown and he said that although it is somewhat variable, if I were to contact him once I get my residency and it was something they need (which now is everything..but a lot changes) they'd reimburse me JUST to come back..this is specialities too..It is a nice idea in theory..but I really don't see it working out. I think they'll have some pretty dismal results.

It is a nice idea in concept...but how many people truly go in their intended field that they were into their first semester? I mean...it is almost like undergrad again as far as interests go. You like something because you have a specific picture in your head of what it'll be...but occassionally it doesn't pan out like that and you want something else. I have a fear it'd do not much more than create the occassional happy doc, and more bitter ones that they didn't give the other stuff a shot that could truly make them happy. If people are that interested in primary care then there are plenty of loan reimbursment programs for going to an underserved area. If you want to serve in a particular area sometimes you can even talk to a hospital admin or something and work a deal out. A few months ago i talked to a guy from my hometown and he said that although it is somewhat variable, if I were to contact him once I get my residency and it was something they need (which now is everything..but a lot changes) they'd reimburse me JUST to come back..this is specialities too..It is a nice idea in theory..but I really don't see it working out. I think they'll have some pretty dismal results.

that's interesting. I'm from a rural area but it doesn't qualify for those national health service whatevers. I bet I could work something out this way. Interesting...

So LECOM is starting this program where people interested in family medicine can graduate in 3 years instead of 4. The idea is to reduce debt. Almost seems like they're creating a new kind of doctor that is halfway between a doc and PA/NP. What y'all think of this? I'm in favor of an effort to increase docs in rural america I guess...

That's exactly what it is. I think students who opt for this have either been deadset on FP since birth or they're being short-sighted and worried about their debt prematurely.

That being said, I think it's a nice option for the people who are deadset on primary care. There's someone on SDN who said he (?) wants to open a primary care practice in a place and he wouldn't mind being paid in blankets or coffee mugs or what have you... and if that's true, he'd be perfect for this sort of thing.

that's interesting. I'm from a rural area but it doesn't qualify for those national health service whatevers. I bet I could work something out this way. Interesting...

I bet you could have a chat with them...it really depends how desperate they are though. My town isn't qualified suppossedly yet we have 2 general surgeons who do about 8 surgeries daily (I saw 3 gallbladders removed in 1 day), we have to GI guys on constant call, 2 full time rads from the 5 before they moved or retired, etc... I was practically begged to go into each field and come back to the town while shadowing. I never even considered it till I saw how hard all of these guys had to work. I watched 6 total knees, a knee scope, and 2 carpel tunnel releases in one day by an orthopod..that is just ridiculous to have daily schedules like that. If you have a reasonable talk and a history with the town they may give you a chance....I have a bit of an edge in that my father was a doctor there for 19 years and was probably one of the most highly respected ones.... but yea....an hour away from my hometown I saw an ER gig starting at 300k with loan reimbursment....it probably isn't a desirable place but I think I could suck up crap for a few years in what I consider an ok area for that....

At first glance, my guess is that this program is NOT truly legally binding and that there are lots of loopholes to get out of doing FP.

Whats to stop somebody from joining the allopathic match? Are they contractually BARRED from registering with ERAS? HOw is that going to work.

This is a terrible idea.

If nothing else, they need to add another year to FP training. Think about it. You have to know everything. You cannot slack on adult, pediatric, or OBGYN. You have to keep up and read and you darn well better know your stuff when you graduate. Taking a year off training at the front end will not only degrade the Family Medicine profession, it has the potential to make us blend in with NPs and PAs which a a very, very bad thing.

There is a big difference in PAs, NPs, and residency trained family doctors.

The other myth this idea plays to is that family docs can't pay back their loans because they don't make enough money when they enter practice. Do a little searching...you will find plenty of FPs who make a very nice living. Combined with programs that repay loans if you practice in underserved areas (including hospitals that pay your entire student loan debt, that's how desperate they are for docs in some areas), and there is absolutely no reason why more people shouldn't go into FP and serve the underserved.

It's embarassing that DOs are doing this. FP has been the backbone of the profession since the beginning, and this is a slap in the face.

Sophiejane,

I totally agree. What a completely stupid idea. GP's do not make a little money as some people think.

GP's cannot slack on any of the disciplines that Sophiejane listed. I talked to a retired orthopod who said that he went from GP to ortho b/c GP's have to know way too much. With specialties you get to focus on one area.

This really is a shame to the osteopathic profession & will in no way help us get rid of any stigma. What residencies are really going to accept students that go down this path when there are ones who have an extra year of training?? By shortening your path I can almost guarantee that no ACGME programs are going to consider applicants that would do this.

You all realize that this is nothing new, right? Quite a few MD schools have done this. I'm not sure how many are still doing it, but LECOM is far from being the pioneer in the accelerated FP idea.

By shortening your path I can almost guarantee that no ACGME programs are going to consider applicants that would do this.

Yes, but that's exactly the idea. The people in this program are NOT people who want to do allopathic residencies. There are a select group of residencies for you to choose from when you complete the program. This is NOT a program for most people, but for those who have been gung-ho family practice since birth, it allows them another option. What is eliminated in the program is virtually all of your vacation time and some electives that most people usually spend exploring specialties or trying to check out places to do internships and residencies. A very small number of people will be enrolled in this program, and all of their time will be tailored specifically towards family practice.