Now i hear that AP units MAY be accepted for medshools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

petros

i got a 5 on the bc calculus test in high school, and passed out of single variable calculus at my university. i actually got ASSIGNED units for these classes, so i cannot take them even if i wanted to. i took a quarter of multi variable calculus in college, and two quarters of statistics for my "year of math" requirement." some schools say they want a year of calculus and no ap credit is accepted. why am i penalized for doing well in high school? i don't want or need to take differential equations or linear algebra for a medical profession, but these are the courses i will have to take to fulfill the math requirements. what's up with that?
also, i emailed several universities about this and all but one said "no ap credit accepted, sorry." HOWEVER, UCSD said that if i got assigned units, then that counts, and the other schools that said it doesn't count are mistaking assigned and unassigned units. for example, i got a 5 in ap chem and could skip chem 1 at college, but without credit for that class. UCSD also said most colleges give assigned units for calculus. no other med school seems to agree with this. they hear AP units and they say no.

Members don't see this ad.

I also tested out of math b/c of my AP test score. I emailed a few schools that I applied to and asked if my AP credit would cover the calc requirement, and they said yes. I was awarded credit as if I had taken the class at my college, ang given a P for pass for the grade. I don't know if the difference here is how our undergraduate institutions used our AP scores, or if it is how each medical school decides to view them, but I haven't had a problem with it. Unlike you, I did not take more math to meet my requirement, the AP credit I was given was considered equivalent. It seems like you are in an understandable, and not uncommon, situation. I know alot of people who got Ap credit for math, and I'm sure we're not the only ones who also ended up applying to medical school. It sounds like you applied to CA schools, and are having this problem there? Where did you apply, and what exxactly are they telling you about your math credits?

As far as the schools I've applied to, not all of them have math as a requirement. For those that do, all have accepted my AP math credit...except for UCLA, which doesn't accept AP credit to satisfy any of their requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since many (not all) medical schools do not even REQUIRE math or calculus, AP credit in math is less of a problem than AP in chem, bio, or physics. On the otherhand, don't make such a big deal about AP as to raise your blood pressure when you are focussing on As.
If you must, take the damn courses again; it should give you an advantage in earning As, provided you avoid the yawning chasm of overweening self-confidence that pulls you to academic death when you start cutting lectures, labs, and giving short shrift to studying for exams. There is a special well-filled graveyard for AP smart guys and gals who committed the sin of academic suicide that way.

that's just it! ucla will not let me take the classes again! that's what pisses me off! they said i already took the class by getting a 5 on the ap test, so i am not eligible for course credit. what really sucks is that med schools still want me to take a year of math classes, regardless of what ucla says!

If you have to take a year of math, why not take a couple of statisics classes? A lot of the medical schools I'm looking at don't care what the particular type of math is and many are interested in students who have taken stats.

i did take 2 quarters of stats, giving me one year of math. but, some schools said they wanted i year of calculus to be taken at theuniversity. by the time i'm done, i'll be close to a minor in math!