Now I really don't know what to do.... UOP, Loma Linda or UCSF?? please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DREDAY

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was having a hard time deciding between Loma Linda and UOP, so I paid the Loma Linda deposit to give buy me more time before decding. But now UOP is asking for another deposit. Also this week I got the wonderful news that UCSF accepted me. I didn't think they would accept me since other SDN'ers had claimed their class to be full already, so I had already ruled out its possibility and had my mind set on UOP or Loma Linda. I was leaning towards Loma Linda instead of UOP. But now with UCSF in the mix, and the thought of moving to SF againt in my mind, I really dont know what to do. I appreciate any opinion on the matter. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

DREDAY said:
I was having a hard time deciding between Loma Linda and UOP, so I paid the Loma Linda deposit to give buy me more time before decding. But now UOP is asking for another deposit. Also this week I got the wonderful news that UCSF accepted me. I didn't think they would accept me since other SDN'ers had claimed their class to be full already, so I had already ruled out its possibility and had my mind set on UOP or Loma Linda. I was leaning towards Loma Linda instead of UOP. But now with UCSF in the mix, and the thought of moving to SF againt in my mind, I really dont know what to do. I appreciate any opinion on the matter. Thanks.

if i was in your position, i would probably go to san francisco. i think it's the cheapest of the 3, and it is a great school. my 2nd choice would be pacific, because it is also one of the best in the country. i probably wouldn't go to loma linda just because of what i've heard on these boards and the overly religious nature of the school. of course, keep in mind that i haven't visited any of these schools. the only person who can make up your mind is yourself.

and i apologize for posting such a worthless response... but it really is your decision.

SAVE your money!!! I assume that you are a Cali resident. Wouldn't it be like 100k cheaper to go to UCSF. I would go there, it takes a lot of fillings to earn 100k. Plus isn't UCSF probably one of the top schools around?

Members don't see this ad :)
DIRTIE said:
SAVE your money!!! I assume that you are a Cali resident. Wouldn't it be like 100k cheaper to go to UCSF. I would go there, it takes a lot of fillings to earn 100k. Plus isn't UCSF probably one of the top schools around?

UCSF would be about the same as Loma Linda after all factors considered. UOP would be a bit mored expensive.

DREDAY said:
UCSF would be about the same as Loma Linda after all factors considered. UOP would be a bit mored expensive.

Price is definately an issue since you've got such phenomenal schools to choose from...

Take this with a grain of salt: My friend went to UCSF for Dental, but after his first year, withdrew and decided to take stock of his life. He didn't enjoy it there at all, saying that it lacked the community aspect that he had hoped for. He would score 95% in his exams and would be looked down upon by his peers since he did achieve a perfect score. Granted, I firmly believe this is more of an isolated event than normal, it does say something about the school.

nikkai said:
Price is definately an issue since you've got such phenomenal schools to choose from...

Take this with a grain of salt: My friend went to UCSF for Dental, but after his first year, withdrew and decided to take stock of his life. He didn't enjoy it there at all, saying that it lacked the community aspect that he had hoped for. He would score 95% in his exams and would be looked down upon by his peers since he did achieve a perfect score. Granted, I firmly believe this is more of an isolated event than normal, it does say something about the school.
May your friend was a gunner? not personable?
DREDAY said:

I would kill to go to any d school in CA! I wouldn't chose Loma because it's a fanatical religious school?!
so, UCSF: 4yrs, a little cheaper. UOP: 3 yrs, more moola. Check the school location, where do you feel more comfortable, enjoying living for the next 3-4yrs. UOP's program maybe more fast pace, more stress than UCSF because it's a 3yr program. How does the admin. treat the students in school?

Last but not least, would you like to get it over and done with in 3 or 4yrs? any close friends, family around either school?

Chose it wisely but remember, you're getting screwed one way or another :D

lnn2 said:
May your friend was a gunner? not personable?

I would kill to go to any d school in CA! I wouldn't chose Loma because it's a fanatical religious school?!
so, UCSF: 4yrs, a little cheaper. UOP: 3 yrs, more moola. Check the school location, where do you feel more comfortable, enjoying living for the next 3-4yrs. UOP's program maybe more fast pace, more stress than UCSF because it's a 3yr program. How does the admin. treat the students in school?

Last but not least, would you like to get it over and done with in 3 or 4yrs? any close friends, family around either school?

Chose it wisely but remember, you're getting screwed one way or another :D
this is the easiest decision you have ever had to make, go to UCSF. Come on now, its UCSF, and its a state school (save a lot of money). LLU is boring dont go there unless youre religious or a quiet suburb type.

stop putting down LLU. it is the #1 clinical school. and if you have ever visited it or looked at other threads here then you would know that it is a religious school but you have to take part in all there religious activities. an for god's sake it is a christian school, it is not like jehovah witnesses. most people in the world are christian. SDA is just a branch in the christian religion. also, loma linda is only 5 square miles, and beyond that you have san bernadino and other areas of fun. dont reject the unfamiliar. it is a great school. grant it UCSF is a great school too. let people choose where they want to go and definitely not by putting other schools down. also dreday, be careful because i found out that many people on here will tell you alot of bad things about a school because they dont want you to go there so a space can open up for them. just take each criticism with a grain of salt. we are all going to come out great dentists from anywhere as long as you do great in your school. laters

ecrdoubles15 said:
stop putting down LLU. it is the #1 clinical school. and if you have ever visited it or looked at other threads here then you would know that it is a religious school but you have to take part in all there religious activities. an for god's sake it is a christian school, it is not like jehovah witnesses. most people in the world are christian. SDA is just a branch in the christian religion. also, loma linda is only 5 square miles, and beyond that you have san bernadino and other areas of fun. dont reject the unfamiliar. it is a great school. grant it UCSF is a great school too. let people choose where they want to go and definitely not by putting other schools down. also dreday, be careful because i found out that many people on here will tell you alot of bad things about a school because they dont want you to go there so a space can open up for them. just take each criticism with a grain of salt. we are all going to come out great dentists from anywhere as long as you do great in your school. laters
Sorry! I'm not putting down LLU. If you want a beer or a joint occasionally then LLU is not for you! :D
Please don't put down Jehovah witnesses! I am a jehovah witnesses! I am very hurt by your comment! :( :oops: I will run to my mama and cry :( I also heard that jehovah witness, Jewish, Hindu, Buddist...are all branches of Christianity! Last I heard they all shared a joint together!
Otherwise, I agree with what you said :thumbup:

Cost should not be a huge factor. UCSF is nearing 200k now with the increase in tuition. That is not much less than UOP. You get out in 3 years at UOP so that's one extra year of money making. UCSF and UOP were my top choices, but I didn't get into UCSF. It would be a hard choice for me. LL does not appeal to me at all because of the location and religious aspect. The good thing about UCSF is it is a slower pace and you get more breaks. It's pass no pass now too.

Loma Linda is a great school but just had a little bit more boring life style. But i think Dreday said he doesnt mind so because his life style is clean anyway.

UCSF, UOP, LLU ...that is a tough decision. Have you write down the advantage of each school on a piece of paper and compare? I guess it is time to visit UCSF too? I always hear UCSF is the best dental school...what make them the best?

congrat for the acceptance

ecrdoubles15 said:
Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about. And please stop writing laters at the end of every message you post. it is the most annoying thing on SDN. Second of all, we all know you dont have to partake in their religious ceremonies, but you do have to interact with people that do and live in a community that is closed from friday sundown to saturday sundown. Third of all, the surrounding area around LLU (San Bernardino) is not a fun area like you said. Its the crystal meth capital of the world. And no one is trying to open up a spot for them by discouraging others from going there.Most of us are already accepted and decided. So stop giving advice, because you are wrong on a bunch of stuff. To the guy/girl deciding where to go, only you can decide by choosing a place that matches your values, traits and ambitions. dont listen to anyone else unless you are asking a factual question, Opinionated questions should have no relevance on your decision. Good luck, my advice is UCSF or UoP. If you go to UoP youll be my classmate, so theres a benefit. Laters.

To the OP: That's a tough decision, but a good one nonetheless. If I were you, and this is based solely on my intuition/opinion, I would probably go with UOP. Why? SF is a gorgeous city with many cultural offerings, they have a solid program, I have known dentists from UOP and can say first hand that they train their graduates very well, and as grueling as a three year program might sound having that fourth year out on your own is mighty attractive. In my opinion you can't go wrong with your choices - whatever you chose I am sure it will be the best one for you. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You've heard all I've had to say about LLU before - UOP rejected me and I didn't apply to UCSF but from what I understand from my endless hours of reading threads about what other people think I get the impression UCSF is a great school but the students aren't happy. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyone go there? If so are you or are you not happy and why? I'm not sure how boring LLU will be for me, it's not too far from the beaches (1.5 hour drive maybe?) and the mountains are right there - and just think, trips to Fiji! Eh? Doesn't that sound great? Fiji?

USUaggie said:
You've heard all I've had to say about LLU before - UOP rejected me and I didn't apply to UCSF but from what I understand from my endless hours of reading threads about what other people think I get the impression UCSF is a great school but the students aren't happy. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyone go there? If so are you or are you not happy and why?

Check out the UCLA vs UCSF threads in this forum and the dental forum and you will have your answer.

USUaggie said:
You've heard all I've had to say about LLU before - UOP rejected me and I didn't apply to UCSF but from what I understand from my endless hours of reading threads about what other people think I get the impression UCSF is a great school but the students aren't happy. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyone go there? If so are you or are you not happy and why? I'm not sure how boring LLU will be for me, it's not too far from the beaches (1.5 hour drive maybe?) and the mountains are right there - and just think, trips to Fiji! Eh? Doesn't that sound great? Fiji?

LLU is a great choice and you are actually closer to the beach than 1.5 miles. having fun is up to you. you can go to UCSF where there is san fran and all but it depends if you really are going to go hang out and stuff. and i heard LLU goes lightly on the work load over weekend cause they want you to respect saturday. anyways, LLU is agreat choice, boring or not. we are not here to fool around egnog or whatver your name is, we are in professional school now. as for UCSF or UOP, def UCSF no doubt about it. unless you stupid. LATERS!!!!!

ecrdoubles15 said:
also, loma linda is only 5 square miles, and beyond that you have san bernadino and other areas of fun. dont reject the unfamiliar.

WTF!?? have u been to san bernadino? i couldn't imagine a more boring place on this planet

No matter what any of us say regarding the reputation of each school, it should really come down to how good of a fit each school is for you and whether the extra cost/savings is worth it to you. Financially speaking, it looks like LLU has a big advantage over moving to SF.

Each of the 3 schools has a different philosophy over what constitutes a good dental education. Question is, which method fits your learning style the best? I don't know what undergrad you went to, but UCSF will be very similar to most other UCs. This was a huge part of why I decided on UOP instead, I didn't want to relive 4 years of a not so enjoyable undergrad. For me, the extra cost for UOP was worth it for me since I will unlikely specialize and saw myself having a more enjoyable time there. Granted I gasped too when I got the budget estimates, but I still feel I made the right decision.

If you can, why don't you try and schedule a visit to SF and tour the schools again? It'll probably help a lot with your decision. Good luck.

xxdakinexx said:
Cost should not be a huge factor. UCSF is nearing 200k now with the increase in tuition. That is not much less than UOP. You get out in 3 years at UOP so that's one extra year of money making. UCSF and UOP were my top choices, but I didn't get into UCSF. It would be a hard choice for me. LL does not appeal to me at all because of the location and religious aspect. The good thing about UCSF is it is a slower pace and you get more breaks. It's pass no pass now too.

actually ucsf is 200-210k including living. UOP inclduing living is about 298k so its a huge diff.

USUaggie said:
...from what I understand from my endless hours of reading threads about what other people think I get the impression UCSF is a great school but the students aren't happy. Can anyone shed some light on this? Anyone go there? If so are you or are you not happy and why?

just to answer your question since i go to ucsf (D1). i'm very happy at ucsf and i know pretty much everyone else i talked to is happy here (that doesn't mean EVERYONE is happy...i'm just saying the people that i've talked to are happy.....in no school will you find EVERYONE happy...). i think the statement that "ucsf students aren't happy" is just a big rumor that's been going around on sdn so people automatically think we're not happy here. i think a huge reason why a lot of us ARE pretty happy is because of the new pass/no pass curriculum. it's made our experience so much more enjoyable cuz you don't need to worry about getting the grade and competing with your classmates. instead, we all try to help each other succeed and do well. that being said, to the OP, you can't go wrong with UOP or LLU either. both are great schools. just go where you want to go...

busdriver said:
just to answer your question since i go to ucsf (D1). i'm very happy at ucsf and i know pretty much everyone else i talked to is happy here (that doesn't mean EVERYONE is happy...i'm just saying the people that i've talked to are happy.....in no school will you find EVERYONE happy...). i think the statement that "ucsf students aren't happy" is just a big rumor that's been going around on sdn so people automatically think we're not happy here. i think a huge reason why a lot of us ARE pretty happy is because of the new pass/no pass curriculum. it's made our experience so much more enjoyable cuz you don't need to worry about getting the grade and competing with your classmates. instead, we all try to help each other succeed and do well. that being said, to the OP, you can't go wrong with UOP or LLU either. both are great schools. just go where you want to go...

well said!

lnn2 said:
Sorry! I'm not putting down LLU. If you want a beer or a joint occasionally then LLU is not for you! :D
Please don't put down Jehovah witnesses! I am a jehovah witnesses! I am very hurt by your comment! :( :oops: I will run to my mama and cry :( I also heard that jehovah witness, Jewish, Hindu, Buddist...are all branches of Christianity! Last I heard they all shared a joint together!
Otherwise, I agree with what you said :thumbup:

Don't worry about offending the Jehovah Witnesses. They don't believe in forums since they aren't in the Bible :) Seriously, will you people just stop coming by my house! I've tried to be polite, but that seems to just encourage them. I should be like my neighbor, who when asked if he read the Bible, told them, "yeah, it's great. Isn't it the bestselling fictional novel of all time?" They actually yelled at him and told him he was going to hell! Of course, that's their opinion of anyone that's not in their "club." I'm convinced that the JWs run all the telemarketing companies. Who else is better equipped to deal with slammed doors/phones :).Sorry, but I have a cousin who got bwashed by this cult masquerading as a pseudo-religion (this is the same "religion" that told me in the nineties that the end of the world was coming in Y2K, and then conveniently backed down after nothing happened) Even their name Jehovah is based on a mistranslation of Yahweh (God) by Europeans (the same group of Christians that thought Jews had horns on their head because of some mistranslation- check out Italian Renaissance sculpture sometimes - it's ridiculous). My cousin basically had to sever all ties with non-jw's. Granted, he was a troubled youth at the time, and he got cleaned up, but at what cost? He no longer thinks for himself. It's like he went from one drug to another. But don't put them in the same category as SDAs. All the SDAs that I've met, although devout, seem tolerant of other faiths, aren't "on a mission to convert you," and are very education oriented. Perhaps this was a little out of place in this setting, but I just had another "drop in" from a couple of unwanted visitors, and I'm venting! I'm supposed to be studying for Biochem II tommorrow, and I have to take time to open the door, take some tract, and toss it in the trash. It's very annoying. Anyhoo, back to those damn nucleic acids! Sincerely, very lapsed and very leery Lutheran.

no offense man but for godsake make a decision, you've been posting about this for months now, there is nothing more to talk about. I'm actually surprised that you were able to decide to become a dentist. The decision between this and medical must have taken decades. :sleep: