now it's the end of third year...what are you planning on going into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeine37

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to start a thread to see what specialties are popular amongst med students for this upcoming graduating class. What are you planning on going into? What are people in your class interested in, or is it pretty evenly split between different things?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Came in thinking about ortho (peds) or EM. Then thought about CC/Pulm. Now back to the only specialty that is interesting, fast-paced, fun, and funny enough for me: EM.

EM--Really liked my peds EM month, so I'm just hoping to like the adult side as much.

Otherwise, I'll have a tough choice between surgery and IR

My class is huge on EM this year, maybe over 10%.

I'm going ortho.

Came in thinking about ortho (peds) or EM. Then thought about CC/Pulm. Now back to the only specialty that is interesting, fast-paced, fun, and funny enough for me: EM.

Funny you say that cause I was very gung-ho EM before starting third year and now I'm set on pulm/CC. I think PCCM for me has the excitement I crave for in EM while still getting to enjoy the workup and management that I loved in IM.

Psych for me!
I don't know how many of us are doing Psych, but I think 4 are considering it.

Last edited:
Never thought I would end up on the path I am choosing...

Internal medicine (sub-specialty TBD or possibly the hospitalist route).

It is funny how I fought myself for a long time about coming to this decision, and I think a lot of it is other people's perception of the field. I started out med school gung-ho family medicine... then it was EM... and now it is IM, mostly because I can't stand OB or peds.

Feels very, very good to have made a decision! :D

Internal medicine.....always wanted to do it. However, my interests in subspecialties have changed.

Nephro
Cardio
ICU
Pulm/CC

Peds or IM/Peds :) although I actually really enjoyed my OB/GYN month also (surprisingly)

Radiology, hopefully.

Besides IM, the most popular in my class are ortho, ophtho, rads, and anesthesiology with 8-12% of the class aiming for each of these.

Members don't see this ad :)
started med school and M3 telling people I was interested in EM and surgery (or a subspecialty). Planning on general surgery now.

Started knowing I would go into surgery >> CT. Now I'm doing IM >> Cards >> interventional

Started 3rd year thinking EM or OB/GYN...or maybe Urology During the year, tossed around the idea of PICU, Peds EM, Anesthesia...and the winner in the end is Uro. Surprised me. Also, sad, considering how competitive it is. =|

Started out med school absolutely knowing I wanted to do Peds Neuro. Switched to Adult Neuro halfway through 3rd year, and now I want to do Interventional Neurology (so, Neuro -> Stroke -> Interventional)

As far as my class goes, 2/3 want to do EM, and the other 2/3 want to do Anesthesia. And the remaining 1/2 are doing IM. I'm the only neurologist, I think.

Went in thinking oncology or GI...walked out set on ophtho

first IM (hematology), then Surgery, but now definitely psych. Still have Obgyn, so depending on how that goes, its between psych and obgyn.

As far as my class goes, 2/3 want to do EM, and the other 2/3 want to do Anesthesia. And the remaining 1/2 are doing IM. I'm the only neurologist, I think.
11/6 of a class? :)

I'm a little surprised neuro isn't more popular. I don't think there's anyone in my class of 100 who's going into it.

Similar trend at my school

how about my class: 20 radio, 20 anesthesia. thats alot i think

Surprisingly, we have a lot of people interested in psych, and I know one person who is going into neuro. Lots of anesthesia, at least one derm, a few general surgery, at 1 to 2 ob/gyn, a few family, several EM, at least 2 neurosurgery. This is based on my class of 28 students. I'm sure our larger campus has tons of people eying anesthesia.

Last edited:
Path is big in my class - I think we have nearly 10 out of 250 interested. A lot of IM, FM, a few peds, and a few gen surg as well.

Last edited:
Wanted to start a thread to see what specialties are popular amongst med students for this upcoming graduating class. What are you planning on going into? What are people in your class interested in, or is it pretty evenly split between different things?

I've decided on Anesthesia!

I'll tell you all what you want to go into based on a couple demographic questions.
1) are you a girl? yes= peds, ob/gyn, gen surgery
2) are you indian? yes = neurology. Stop pretending you're into somethin else.
3) are you a guy? yes= ortho, em, general surgery
4) If you don't fall into the above 3:
a) are you a girl? yes= pm&R or palliative, maybe pathology
b) are you a guy? yes= cardiology or GI if you don't have the board scores for cardiology.

note: this only applies if you aren't part of the 73% going into anesthesiology

I'm going for pathology here. We actually have 4 people (out of a class of ~145) that will be going for path this year, which has to be a record high for our med school.

Went to med school to do psychaitry/FM combined. Switched to surgery. Stuck with it for about 7 months. Changed to FM, then to EM, back to FM, then to IM, then back to FM, then path for awhile, then back to FM. Battled between FM and psych for a long time (my military branch dumped the combined FM/psych program).

Finally decided on psych > child/adolescent fellowship or forensic

I'll tell you all what you want to go into based on a couple demographic questions.
1) are you a girl? yes= peds, ob/gyn, gen surgery
2) are you indian? yes = neurology. Stop pretending you're into somethin else.
3) are you a guy? yes= ortho, em, general surgery
4) If you don't fall into the above 3:
a) are you a girl? yes= pm&R or palliative, maybe pathology
b) are you a guy? yes= cardiology or GI if you don't have the board scores for cardiology.

note: this only applies if you aren't part of the 73% going into anesthesiology

:thumbup:

if you can't figure it what you want to do, see attached.

Attachments

• medchart.pdf
    122.8 KB · Views: 333
Started med school thinking IM (either cards or nephro), then was thinking neurology. Now I'm going into EM, which was actually near the bottom of my list starting out. It's funny how third year can change things.

Started out Anesthesiology, but I am concerned w/CRNA encroachment and the changes looming in the field (among other things). I tried very hard to make myself like Radiology, but I just couldn't do it. Now, I am really hoping that I like my Emergency Medicine rotation.

At my school, the really popular fields seem to be:
Radiology
Optho
Anesthesiology
Radiation Oncology
Emergency Medicine

What can I say...a bunch of "lifestylers" at my school. :D

Started out Anesthesiology, but I am concerned w/CRNA encroachment and the changes looming in the field (among other things). I tried very hard to make myself like Radiology, but I just couldn't do it. Now, I am really hoping that I like my Emergency Medicine rotation.

haha, tell me about trying hard to like radiology (or ophtho for that matter). Actually, I still haven't ruled out radiology. Other things I like include cards. Haven't done anesthesia or urology yet but don't see myself going into those fields.

IM

Hopefully I can get fellowship to GI. If not...I'll just be a hospitalist for awhile. :)

Started the year thinking IM, with cardio down the road.

Ending the year thinking IM- cardio OR GI. The bowel has become really interesting during my surgery rotation and I could definitely see myself doing that too.

I briefly flirted with Ortho and I think I would have been very happy doing it, but I like IM better... plus, I like using my stethoscope :)

Started 3rd yr thinking IM-Cardio
But after rotations,
Now definitely Gen Surg.

Started med school wanting to do ortho....

Entering 4th-year and definitely heading into ortho :thumbup:

I feel like I am one of the very few in my class who has known what they wanted to do since entering medical school. I kept my mind open going through 3rd-year clerkships, but didn't find anything that appealed to me nearly as much as ortho.

came to med school interested in ENT, loved the research i did, loved the rotation and now i'm set on applying to ENT this september.

When applying to med school, was wanting to go into ortho or general surgery from the get go. After getting to med school, learning the "intense" culture of surgery, and because I convinced myself that surgeons would despise me, thought I should think about other fields.

Thought about EM, Peds who the residents/att apparently did not like me even got a "student not at all interested in Peds" on an eval :eek:, thought about anesthesia as third year went on which I admit would be a more "logical" choice for me.

But eventually, after general surgery, decided I wanted to do surgery for sure, especially since apparently they DID NOT hate me :). Then did ortho, and decided on that. So basically full circle. Now I just have to match...

before 1st day of med school: internal medicine, possibly neurology
1st day of med school: surgery
2nd semester of med school: ortho
3rd year of med school: ortho or neurosurgery
end of third year: gonna apply for ortho

Beginning of med school: PM&R
Now: PM&R

And no, I'm not a girl :laugh: