Now that both COMLEX and USMLE Step 1 are Pass/Fail, is it still worth taking both as a DO student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc1317

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, incoming OMSII.

I am thinking about board prep right now for Spring 2022 and am wondering since both COMLEX and USMLE are pass/fail now, is it still worth taking both? What does taking USMLE show moreso than COMLEX now that its pass/fail?

I am looking to go into primary care, although I am not totally certain about it. There's a chance I'd want to do a fellowship after internal med.

Looking for advice!

Members don't see this ad.

FM, no. But my understanding if you want to take step 2 which will be the main score used in evaluating applications you have to have taken step 1

Reactions: 1 user
FM, no. But my understanding if you want to take step 2 which will be the main score used in evaluating applications you have to have taken step 1
Actually you don't need step 1 to take step 2.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do still take Step 1 though even if it's P/F, and Step 2 as well. Because I can imagine it being a very easy filter by residency PDs that care about USMLE and that have too many applications to go through.

Edit: if going FM, you could probably get by without USMLE. For IM, USMLE is very helpful if you want to land good university programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Do still take Step 1 though even if it's P/F, and Step 2 as well. Because I can imagine it being a very easy filter by residency PDs that care about USMLE and that have too many applications to go through.

Edit: if going FM, you could probably get by without USMLE. For IM, USMLE is very helpful if you want to land good university programs.
Thanks for the advice. Its just another $1000 or so to burn away but I guess if I must, I must.

What does taking USMLE show moreso than COMLEX now that its pass/fail?
Everything because passing the usmle means you have met minimal competency. The comlex is a useless exam in the eyes of most program directors.

I guess a similar analogy is: what does taking USMLE show moreso than a 3rd grade spelling test now that its pass/fail?

No one actually knows for sure since it hasn’t happened yet. But if PDs can find ANY reason to cut down the app list they will. By not taking step 1, in a PDs eyes you’re now saying you can’t pass it. Before the change, one could argue that you just weren’t going to do well.

To OP's question, one should always be prepared to take Step 1 if academically/financially ready for it.

Kind of off topic but could someone correct me if I'm wrong?

My understanding is that currently you can take Step 2 w/o Step 1. But after Step 1 becomes P/F in January 2022, you must take Step 1 in order to take Step 2.