now that the match is over....does anyone know why anesthesia got blasted?

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
just wondering, for everyone that knows about what went down in the match this year - with the 50 something unmatched spots in anesthesia between the pgy1 and ca1 positions, what exactly happened?

ive heard :

1.) anesthesiology programs wanted higher caliber applicants, so they purposely didnt match the 'average' applicant in order to scramble for more competitive people who didnt match ortho, derm, ent, etc

2.) the programs got cocky and only ranked the highest applicants

3.) interest in anesthesia waned

does anyone know what exactly went down? thanks.

neutro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
Pennsylvania
Status
Attending Physician
probably a combination of 1 and 2.

we will only find out what the applicant pool was like once the data comes out.

i have heard of a lot of very competitive folks who did not match..

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
probably a combination of 1 and 2.

we will only find out what the applicant pool was like once the data comes out.

i have heard of a lot of very competitive folks who did not match..
yeah, it's so strange because i've got friends with 225's ( about average ) from my school ( DO ) who didn't match at all -

and friends who didn't take the usmle at all ( just average comlex scores ) who prematched at respectable academic programs in chicago. seems like the people who gunned for the prematch positions had better luck.

many, many carrib kids didnt match with 240+ scores, which is pretty crazy too.

heathermed

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Status
yeah, it's so strange because i've got friends with 225's ( about average ) from my school ( DO ) who didn't match at all -

and friends who didn't take the usmle at all ( just average comlex scores ) who prematched at respectable academic programs in chicago. seems like the people who gunned for the prematch positions had better luck.

many, many carrib kids didnt match with 240+ scores, which is pretty crazy too.
There is technically no way of knowing this unless you happen to know them personally. I go to Ross and we had a lot of people match into anesthesia this year. A quick look at the SGU list seems like they did quite well in anesthesia this year too. I personally don't know anyone with above 240s from my school that didn't match. This one friend of mine with 227 step 1 and 222 step 2 matched. And another friend of mine with a 223 step 1 prematched in a program which many on this forum don't have a high opinion about, but nevertheless.

I'm just saying.... just anecdotal information I guess. In my humble opinion, I think people ran away from anesthesia due to the perceived uncertainty and went into EM and radiology. Who really knows?

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
just wondering, for everyone that knows about what went down in the match this year - with the 50 something unmatched spots in anesthesia between the pgy1 and ca1 positions, what exactly happened?

ive heard :

1.) anesthesiology programs wanted higher caliber applicants, so they purposely didnt match the 'average' applicant in order to scramble for more competitive people who didnt match ortho, derm, ent, etc

2.) the programs got cocky and only ranked the highest applicants

3.) interest in anesthesia waned

does anyone know what exactly went down? thanks.
If the bold is, in fact, a "strategy" of certain PD's, this is a ridiculously flawed approach to managing a program. I'd rather take an "average" USMLE score dude/dudette that WANTS to do anesthesiology, not some ENT wannabe whom uses it as "back up".....

Just my 2 cents.

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
If the bold is, in fact, a "strategy" of certain PD's, this is a ridiculously flawed approach to managing a program. I'd rather take an "average" USMLE score dude/dudette that WANTS to do anesthesiology, not some ENT wannabe whom uses it as "back up".....

Just my 2 cents.
i absolutely agree...plus, what's to keep them from running off if a radiology/surg/derm spot randomly opens up somewhere down the line ( which happens every year )

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
^you mean pre matched in anesthesia without ck ??

is that even possible?
no, i wasnt implying that, just that they took the comlex/DO board route for step 1 and not the usmle route.

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
There is technically no way of knowing this unless you happen to know them personally. I go to Ross and we had a lot of people match into anesthesia this year. A quick look at the SGU list seems like they did quite well in anesthesia this year too. I personally don't know anyone with above 240s from my school that didn't match. This one friend of mine with 227 step 1 and 222 step 2 matched. And another friend of mine with a 223 step 1 prematched in a program which many on this forum don't have a high opinion about, but nevertheless.

I'm just saying.... just anecdotal information I guess. In my humble opinion, I think people ran away from anesthesia due to the perceived uncertainty and went into EM and radiology. Who really knows?
1.) i wouldn't consider SGU on par with any of the other carrib schools, it's still carrib, but their standards are pretty darn close to US schools, ie, higher caliber of student.

2.) yes, i personally know 2 people who didn't match anesthesia, one had a 242 and one with a 236. ( From AUA and ross, respectively. ) last week there were 2 carrib kids posting on here who didnt match with 99's ( 240 and a bit lower i believe ) who didnt match also..

i agree that carrib kids generally do well in anesthesia if they perform well on boards, which is why i was suprised.

Jeep23Guy

Texan
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think that it was all about programs being cocky this year...

I know a few people that were good candidates (US allopathic) that didn't match at a certain program that didn't fill (matched lower on the list, however). I also heard that this same program interview 15 Caribbean students and didn't rank a single one of them. Sounds pretty crappy to me. As a former Caribbean student (transferred to US), I know I was worried about matching before I transferred.

Also, I would consider SGU one of the good caribbean schools, but I don't consider them better than schools like Ross, AUC, or a few others. I know I got a good enough education to do well on my boards and transfer to the US.

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I think that it was all about programs being cocky this year...

I know a few people that were good candidates (US allopathic) that didn't match at a certain program that didn't fill (matched lower on the list, however). I also heard that this same program interview 15 Caribbean students and didn't rank a single one of them. Sounds pretty crappy to me. As a former Caribbean student (transferred to US), I know I was worried about matching before I transferred.

Also, I would consider SGU one of the good caribbean schools, but I don't consider them better than schools like Ross, AUC, or a few others. I know I got a good enough education to do well on my boards and transfer to the US.
ross, auc, and sgu are the big 3, from what i've heard. SGU's mcat average and GPA is a tier or two above the others though.

Jeep23Guy

Texan
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ross, auc, and sgu are the big 3, from what i've heard. SGU's mcat average and GPA is a tier or two above the others though.
While that is probably true, I didn't go to any of those...but I was still able to transfer into the US. So I guess my school was good enough.

karizma098

Neon Tiger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Medical Student
While that is probably true, I didn't go to any of those...but I was still able to transfer into the US. So I guess my school was good enough.
by transfer, do you mean , start residency here, or transfer medical schools?
i know for a fact transferring medical schools is nearly impossible.

Jeep23Guy

Texan
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
by transfer, do you mean , start residency here, or transfer medical schools?
i know for a fact transferring medical schools is nearly impossible.
I transferred medical schools from the Caribbean to a US allopathic school.
It is nearly impossible...but not impossible. I know this for a fact as well.

analgold09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2007
Status
I don't make my way down here that often, but I found the match results on a medicine thread and was struck by one particular anesthesia program. Predictably, prelim surgery programs can go 0 for 9 in matches. But 12 out of 18 spots unfilled? Take a look at SUNY Downstate - Brooklyn. That seems to account for a majority of the unfilled anesthesia spots. Perhaps that's the outlier that is distorting the combined data...

Attachments

darkmansaad

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah im from the carib and had scores in the upper 240s and mid 250s on my steps...did not match. Maybe I came off bad in my interviews, that is also a possibility. Got a pretty damn good prelim year in surgery and plan on reapplying. Lets hope it doesnt turn out as bad as it did this year.....total nightmare that almost turned me off to the specialty with how I was treated in the scramble. But Im still gonna make the push for anesthesia again.....

periopdoc

Cardiac Anesthesiologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Status
Attending Physician
Here is the list. I think I captured all of the non-filled programs. One thing that is pretty clear is that students were looking for categorical slots as most of the unfilled slots appear to be advanced. Wherever I listed two sets of numbers that means both categorical and advanced went unfilled at that institution. Let the conspiracy theories begin.

Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA 3/4

Loma Linda University-CA 7/10

U Connecticut Hlth Ctr 2/5

Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT 13/18

Med Coll Georgia-Augusta 4/5

Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL 3/4 and 7/9

U Maryland Med Ctr 4/7

U Massachusetts Med School 0/2 2/4

UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Piscataway 7/9

SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY 2/3 4/15

University at Buffalo SOM-NY 5/8

Case Western/MetroHealth Med Ctr-OH 5/7

University of Toledo-OH 2/4

Temple Univ Hosp-PA 5/6

Medical University of SC 6/9

Texas Tech U Affil-Lubbock 1/4

University of Virginia 0/4

West Virginia University SOM 2/3

- pod

BeBlessedMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
Status
Here is the list. I think I captured all of the non-filled programs. One thing that is pretty clear is that students were looking for categorical slots as most of the unfilled slots appear to be advanced. Wherever I listed two sets of numbers that means both categorical and advanced went unfilled at that institution. Let the conspiracy theories begin.

Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA 3/4

Loma Linda University-CA 7/10

U Connecticut Hlth Ctr 2/5

Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT 13/18

Med Coll Georgia-Augusta 4/5

Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL 3/4 and 7/9

U Maryland Med Ctr 4/7

U Massachusetts Med School 0/2 2/4

UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Piscataway 7/9

SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY 2/3 4/15

University at Buffalo SOM-NY 5/8

Case Western/MetroHealth Med Ctr-OH 5/7

University of Toledo-OH 2/4

Temple Univ Hosp-PA 5/6

Medical University of SC 6/9

Texas Tech U Affil-Lubbock 1/4

University of Virginia 0/4

West Virginia University SOM 2/3

- pod
I think Yale can be excluded. They always have unmatched and its for some reason I've forgotten about. But its like that every year. Might be like this for a few of the others as well???....Anyways glad to see my program had no issues but one in particular on this list was my number one last yr....wasnt too impressed with the program but it was in my Home state.....interasante!

yasha83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Out of the programs on the list I'm relatively familiar with I'm surprised with the outcome for UMASS. It may not be an elite program, to be sure, but it is a University program which I got pretty good vibes from on my interview. What gives there? Anybody have any insight?

2ndyear

15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2002
New England
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Out of the programs on the list I'm relatively familiar with I'm surprised with the outcome for UMASS. It may not be an elite program, to be sure, but it is a University program which I got pretty good vibes from on my interview. What gives there? Anybody have any insight?
Wistah...

sevoflurane

Ride
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah im from the carib and had scores in the upper 240s and mid 250s on my steps...did not match. Maybe I came off bad in my interviews, that is also a possibility. Got a pretty damn good prelim year in surgery and plan on reapplying. Lets hope it doesnt turn out as bad as it did this year.....total nightmare that almost turned me off to the specialty with how I was treated in the scramble. But Im still gonna make the push for anesthesia again.....
Those are awesome scores. Good job. You should be very proud of those numbers. Make some contacts during your prelim year, work hard and try and figure out why you did not match. Good luck. :luck:

Icefrog

7+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Here's my theory:

Everywhere I interviewed said, of course, that competition was "higher than ever." So let's say you have more highly-qualified applicants who applied to more places and went on more interviews than last year. Assuming that programs gave out the same number of interviews, it's possible that these programs interviewed many of the same people, and therefore ranked the same people, resulting in programs not filling.

So despite the increase in total applicants, if you have more high-qualified applicants applying more broadly than ever, they all snatch up and attend the same interviews as each other, making smaller the relative applicant pool available for ranking by programs.

Sound reasonable? No? Haha.

Sdp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
:eek: Shocked about Loma Linda. Strong training, beautiful location, very happy residents, great hours, awesome fellowships. :eek:

dtdfusion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Status
Medical Student
i put loma linda 2nd on my list but did not match. i did match in top 3rd of my list. i dont know what they were thinking.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Here's my theory:

Everywhere I interviewed said, of course, that competition was "higher than ever." So let's say you have more highly-qualified applicants who applied to more places and went on more interviews than last year. Assuming that programs gave out the same number of interviews, it's possible that these programs interviewed many of the same people, and therefore ranked the same people, resulting in programs not filling.

So despite the increase in total applicants, if you have more high-qualified applicants applying more broadly than ever, they all snatch up and attend the same interviews as each other, making smaller the relative applicant pool available for ranking by programs.

Sound reasonable? No? Haha.
I had the same theory, when I was going on interviews.. It looks like this theory might be partially correct.

darkmansaad

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Those are awesome scores. Good job. You should be very proud of those numbers. Make some contacts during your prelim year, work hard and try and figure out why you did not match. Good luck. :luck:

Thanks for your kind words....it really is appreciated. Im doing my prelim year at a top 3 hospital in the country, hopefully it results in me getting a spot next year, I hear there are quite a few spots held open for people that switch specialties or didnt match. Its frustrating, especially the way I was treated during scramble, not going to mention any program names.....but yeah that was a dehumanizing experience. Coming from a carib grad that expected to be crapped on and not taken seriously, it takes a lot for me to say "thats messed up"

heathermed

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Thanks for your kind words....it really is appreciated. Im doing my prelim year at a top 3 hospital in the country, hopefully it results in me getting a spot next year, I hear there are quite a few spots held open for people that switch specialties or didnt match. Its frustrating, especially the way I was treated during scramble, not going to mention any program names.....but yeah that was a dehumanizing experience. Coming from a carib grad that expected to be crapped on and not taken seriously, it takes a lot for me to say "thats messed up"
Hey Darkmansaad,

I don't want you to name any names if you are uncomfortable, but I think it would be very helpful us students if you gave us an idea of all the garbage you had to go through for the scramble. Maybe we can be better sensitized in case we have a similar experience. Only if you feel up to it... if not, no worries :)

guitarguy09

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Northeast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Your best shot will likely be at your prelim program. I would get in contact with them fairly early on in the year and start letting them know of your interest and ask what you could do to make yourself more competitive. Emphasize that you really like the program and would love to stay if that's possible, etc., etc... a lot of places like to take there own people since they can talk to other docs they know and ask how hard working you are, if you're a "team player", etc...

That being said, if no official spot is offered to you then reenter the whole interview process. Keep in mind that since you would be a PGY1, I think you could be offered be offered a position outside the match anywhere that you interview...

pjl

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
This is a very similar number to what goes unmatched prior to scramble every year, and there are less suprise programs this year than last. I am sure someone who is motivated can find a list from around this time last year to compare. The final unmatched programs is only what is unmatched after the scramble, so that is why the number is lower.