Now That We Are NOT Accepted, What to Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alleycatpsych

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread for the people who have not been accepted anywhere, so we can bounce around ideas about our "Plan B." Let's NOT dwell on what could have been or wallow in self-pity. We are people of worth, dangit! (We just need to prove it to the admissions committees...)

Anyway...

I for one am trying to decide between doing a Master's and taking a position in a research lab. I am leaning toward research, since I have high credentials in terms of GPA and GRE, and that is the advice I have received from the professors and grad students at my undergraduate institution.

What is everyone else going to do to boost their application for next time?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, my current RA job will this summer. The PI decided to schedule the study (read: funding) to end in August under the assumption that I would get into school (oops). However, there are several other funded studies that I can join in the research lab since their RAs did get into school (read: all my friends/coworkers)...so, I will most likely move into one of their jobs and reapply next year! Luckily, I'm getting some publications out of all of this (and even some as first author), so I guess it could be worse...

I'm also going to study and retake the GRE. I've been told that is the weakest spot of my application so hopefully it's fixable! I already have a MA and 3.5 years of research experience with the population in which I'm interested in studying, so there's not much to do but study! Study! Study! Sigh.

Haha, funny thread!

Well, here's why I am feeling a little silly --

With the assumption I'd be starting school in the fall, I informed my boss at my RA job that I'd be leaving June 1 and planned to go abroad with my S.O. for the summer.

But since receiving rejections from PhD programs, and lots of discouraging advice about attending an MA progam, I am trying to save face a little while thinking about a new plan! I am asking my boss if I can take a month or so unpaid to travel and then probably return for another year as an RA. I might also look for another RA job though that is more in line with my interests.

Also thinking about doing some volunteering, course-auditing and a LOT of soul-searching and textbook-reading to improve my apps next year.

I just need to make my decision and move ahead with it - I know I'll feel better once I do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just need to make my decision and move ahead with it - I know I'll feel better once I do.

I definitely know what you mean. I'm really goal-oriented, so I need to find something to throw myself into and strive toward. I have decided to (pending being hired!) work as an RA rather than going the Master's route.

Great advice guys thanks!

Last edited:
I completed my MS, so I am working as a therapist. However, I need to get some research experience, and I'm having trouble finding opportunities. I don't live in the right place for that, I guess. I need to take the GRE again, too, since my general scores are now 5 years old. I'm hoping that my age and master's degree won't be counted against me at this point. I needed to do something to get out of limbo, and this was available when I didn't have better options.

Arya, is there promise of funding the next year? What would your costs be? Can you afford it? Is it a school you want to go to? There's no cut and dry answer - it's just is it right for you?

Thanks for all the support!

Last edited:
AryaStark - if it were me I would probably do it, because this admissions game is so tricky and feels pretty unpredictable. BUT how do you KNOW that the same situation won't happen again next year with the "oh weird look at that no money" situation?? That is a little scary.

haha, sorry, I'm not very helpful at all! Let's hope someone more decisive posts next.

As someone who is on the outside looking in on grad schools, I would say take it for sure, especially since it was the school you were dying to go to. 15-19k of loans is affordable. Take it, seriously. :thumbup:

As someone who is on the outside looking in on grad schools, I would say take it for sure, especially since it was the school you were dying to go to. 15-19k of loans is affordable. Take it, seriously. :thumbup:

I agree, if I were in your position, I would take it. It's one thing to take out 224k for a PsyD, but taking out 20k to pay for one year of a PhD is really reasonable. Plus, you have absolutely no guarantee that you would get in next year, or that funding would be any better in a year. In my experience, schools tend to be extremely cautious about guaranteeing finances, so if they're telling you confidently that you can expect funding for future years, they probably mean it. I recommend you talk to current students at that school and see what they think of your offer and their sense of the financials at the school and the trustworthiness of any offers.

I also think that you should take it, but only if funding for the other years is clear. One year of debt is a lot different than 5-6.

alleycat, good luck with that RA job! Did you already interview?

thanks, lucy! i'm in contact with several profs right now, but i don't have anything cemented yet.

Interesting comments : I had the opposite problem. I did not say a WORD to my boss or coworkers, assuming I would not get in anywhere. Well I did and when they offered to hire me full time as a clinician (this is an masters-practicum) ... I had to tell them the news (literally a DAY after my first acceptance).

I'd say keep at what you guys are doing. I went the Master's route when I didnt get in the first go-around....thats an option, so is working and making some money:)

Jon

Everything really does work out in time, I learned this the hard way.

Last edited:
I'm going to get an MD instead.

It's gonna be a bumpy two months!