Now that you are accepted is SDN really of any worth to you????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot pickle baby

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like now I am in that SDN is worthless.

How do you feel?

Members don't see this ad.

yes.
i still have applications under review despite an acceptance, so i still read every day. the dental forum is helpful, too.

Hot pickle baby said:

How do you feel?

You’ll be surprised how much MORE you could learn here, Pickle +pity+ Baby.

Members don't see this ad :)
atlanta478 said:
You’ll be surprised how much MORE you could learn here, Pickle +pity+ Baby.
Unfortunately, all I have learned so far is that everyone has opinions of what to do, say, and act, and I disagree with about 80% of them.

I had a completely different experience in my application process.

Sprgrover said:
;)

SDN is only as good as the members that contribute to it.

So I am making it bad.

Read the other 500 posts on the first page. Poor to say the least.

Hot pickle baby said:
So I am making it bad.

AND having moderators that show up out of nowhere to humiliate or belittle users really contributes as well.

However, I do want to seriously ask this question.

If dental school is so darn difficult, please tell me how you have time to be a moderator and what exactly do you get from it?

I mean, its not like being a moderator pays anything and its certainly not going to get you a job.

do you get credit from it ????????????????????????????????????????

SDN also has forums for those who are already in D-school. As many who have been accepted have said, getting in is a stressful process but your first year can be even more stressful, and thats why there are support goups like SDN.

Hot pickle baby said:
AND having moderators that show up out of nowhere to humiliate or belittle users really contributes as well.

If dental school is so darn difficult, please tell me how you have time to be a moderator and what exactly do you get from it?

I mean, its not like being a moderator pays anything and its certainly not going to get you a job.

YOu don't do everthing in life just becasue it pays to do it. You do many things in life to help other people out. Yes SDN was helpful to me in this application cycle becasue all those members who are students were here. If they are not here then SDN is not helpfull at all. So, Thanks to all the memebers who have helped me. How difiicult dental schools is, well you will find out soon.

I agree with Pickle person. SDN is ok but there are a whole lot of people who use it that suck. I feel though people purposefully post there acceptances, test scores, grade, etc on SDN to belittle others. I really don't appreciate the fact that someone will ask a question completely unrelated to grades or test scores, but they still feel the need to post them. If anything, it is very unhumble and really obnoxious. (but thats just what I think). Also, half the info people post is wrong, and i feel that people should do more research on why they want to be a dentist and where they wanna go. SDN is good, but buy the damn barrons med/dent book for god's sake. Apps are up 40% this year, but the question is...do these applicants really want to go to dent school for the right reasons? I donno, cause I am not one of them.

Hot pickle baby said:
So I am making it bad.

Sprgrover said:
;)

Very well said my friend. You are a wise man.

Lets tar and feather these two! Run them out SDN town. :thumbup:

Hot pickle baby said:

How do you feel?

This ROCKS!! i wish i would have joined sooner!!! even after an acceptance, SDN is good for finding info on housing and relocation stuff :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Sprgrover said:
;)

Whoa!

Where'd that pre-dental moderator come from, & what do you think you're doing posting on a pre-dent thread?!

Talk about appearing out of nowhere, man. You should give people more warning before you post. I'm not sure how that'd even be possible, but still.

Oops, I guess I just contributed to the problem. :D

Hot pickle baby said:

Hey no one is going to loose sleep if you quit SDN, so instead of B******* , do something that about it, like posting things you feel are relevevant and helpful.

By the way I agree with what Sprgover said.

Blackstars said:
Hey no one is going to loose sleep if you quit SDN, so instead of B******* , do something that about it, like posting things you feel are relevevant and helpful.

By the way I agree with what Sprgover said.
Maybe if we could all learn to cuss on this forum, we could stop people from posting stupid posts. It might humble those people who are forever on their soap box. So instead of saying B***** for Bitch or A$$ for Ass, people should just say it like it really is... So here it goes...

Hot Pickle, stop being a little bitch and post something worthwhile every once in a while. You really make yourself seem like an ass.

To all SDN users,

In every forum, you will have people who put out bad posts such as calling each other names or making totally unppropriate comments to others. However, there are many excellent posts that offers sincere recommendations that have their own merits. Remember that people puting posts here ARE not lisenced acedemic advisors but students abroads offering their advices to others to their best ability to help other fellows. I look at this site for many days before I deciede to jump in because I feel that my experience can help some of you in this forum. I am no mean an expert in giving advice and infact many users may disagree with my recommendations but I feel that I have some hints and tips that my prove to be helpful to you. For the ones who got accepted, please continue to contribute to the forums to help others to achieve their goals as I am doing now. I can also advise you during your dental school too such as how to complete a certain procedures with good results and so forth... I have been through it so I know from experience and I would like to share that with you. I thank you for all who read and responded to my posts. DP

Hot pickle baby said:
...However, I do want to seriously ask this question.

I volunteer my time to SDN, just like everyone else that helps run this site, and no, I get no credit nor extrinsic reward. How do I find the time? Well, a laptop and wireless campus work wonders for accessibility.

This is a great site first of all. But it is just a website. Find friends, discuss things. But it is not the freakin' encyclopedia! No facts! Just opinions. It is funny to hear pre-dents talk about what dental school will be like and where you should go. NONE OF US HAVE BEEN TO DENTAL SCHOOL so to take something said on SDN as complete fact is stupid. If you want to use it then use it. Just relax. :cool:

Sprgrover said:
I volunteer my time to SDN, just like everyone else that helps run this site, and no, I get no credit nor extrinsic reward. How do I find the time? Well, a laptop and wireless campus work wonders for accessibility.
Don't forget the thrilling lecture content of most classes. A good chunk of my posts come from inside lecture halls. :p

********ALERT********​

Please be advised that an SDN Moderator is about to post. Please don't be surprised or feel belittled by this---it is completely normal.​

********ALERT********​

SDN is a fantastic resource for pre-professional students. After matriculation, it can continue to be helpful and interesting for SDN forum users. Personally, I enjoy reading about other students activities and perspectives. Like Sprgrover said, the forums are only as good as WE the users make them.

I'll throw my two cents into the ring. I think SDN is very valuable. There's a ton of information to be had in the Dental forum, and it's always nice to see what students at other schools are doing.

SDN can really help you keep a pulse on dental schools in general, which can be difficult when you're a student and focused on your own little corner of the world.

The dental residency forum is new and expanding and has lots of information about specialty programs.

There may be guests who feel that SDN has done little for them, which probably means they've done little for SDN. It's a community approach, with the content being as great as you make it.

A bag of potato chips...$3.00
A Bottle of Mountain Dew...$1.25
SDN.......................PRICELESS! and I mean it.
Where did I get the idea to submit my application as early as possible? SDN.
Where do I get to learn about stuff going on in dental schools around the country? SDN.
Where do I get to read the most inspiring and the most ridiculous posts in pre-dental History? SDN.
Pre-Dec 1st where did I feel that sense of community that assured me that there were thousands of kids around the country freaking out like myself? SDN
Where did I meet 2 really nice dental students who welcomed me to their school on my interview day and made me feel like I had 'friends' out there? SDN.
How do students with late interview dates get to hook up with people withdrawing applications and set up new interview dates that would otherwise be impossible to get? SDN
Where would I be getting opinions about a place to live come March/April next year? SDN.

SDN is not the encyclopedia like somebody said, its just a forum to share our opinions and support each other. It's a place where we can ask all the dumb questions while keeping our anonymity? :D I LOVE SDN! Its more than useful, ITS PRICELESS! *Giving the whole SDN community a HUGE bear hug*

duh? said:
:D I LOVE SDN! Its more than useful, ITS PRICELESS! *Giving the whole SDN community a HUGE bear hug*
:eek: Did you just touch my butt? How dare you.

Jeppedo said:
:eek: Did you just touch my butt? How dare you.
:laugh: :laugh: Hey we're SDN family, we're supposed to share! :( Now be a good SDNite and turn the other cheek! :laugh: LMAO!

JavadiCavity said:
********ALERT********

Please be advised that an SDN Moderator is about to post. Please don't be surprised or feel belittled by this---it is completely normal.

********ALERT********​

Thanks for the warning, Java!

ItsGavinC said:
I'll throw my two cents into the ring. I think SDN is very valuable. There's a ton of information to be had in the Dental forum, and it's always nice to see what students at other schools are doing.

SDN can really help you keep a pulse on dental schools in general, which can be difficult when you're a student and focused on your own little corner of the world.

The dental residency forum is new and expanding and has lots of information about specialty programs.

There may be guests who feel that SDN has done little for them, which probably means they've done little for SDN. It's a community approach, with the content being as great as you make it.

I will say this, out of all the moderators you are the only one who tells it like it is. No suckin a$$. No talking crap. You just state it like it is.

I think the Jada guy is too much of a kiss up and the grover tries to be really intellectual and says much with really saying little.

The pickle bids you well my friend. You are an asset to this site.

Woah, a compliment from the pickle? I would be quite honored Gavin.

It is note worthy that those who have used SDN for long time, all attest to usefulness of this very valuable resource. I wonder what our new user has contributed in his 136 posts since joining SDN less than 20 days ago!

I want to thank the moderators I have appreciated their comments and I'm glad they voluntarily spend their time helping other people. Have a very merry christmas or holiday or whatever you want to call it.

Comet208 said:
It is note worthy that those who have used SDN for long time, all attest to usefulness of this very valuable resource. I wonder what our new user has contributed in his 136 posts since joining SDN less than 20 days ago!

You are going to win an award with such great responses !!!

kurt10 said:
I want to thank the moderators I have appreciated their comments and I'm glad they voluntarily spend their time helping other people. Have a very merry christmas or holiday or whatever you want to call it.

Thank you! Happy Holidays to you as well!
:)

Beestieboy said:
Woah, a compliment from the pickle? I would be quite honored Gavin.
you bet!

Hes the only mod that deserves it in my opinion.

I have seen these guys give out so much poor advice. A couple of them are only freshmen too. I have no problem with them giving advice, but when I see that they tell people that they need to take the DAT over or take more classes it really makes me mad.

Like they are some sort of great dental experts or something. They told me that I should take the DAT over that my math (13) was just too low.

I DID NOT TAKE THEIR ADVICE.

I received my acceptance letter December 2nd and saved the money and hassle of retaking the DAT.

Thanks for the great advice mods, you were all wrong.....

Hot pickle baby said:
you bet!

I have seen these guys give out so much poor advice. A couple of them are only freshmen too. I have no problem with them giving advice, but when I see that they tell people that they need to take the DAT over or take more classes it really makes me mad.

Like they are some sort of great dental experts or something. They told me that I should take the DAT over that my math (13) was just too low.

I received my acceptance letter December 2nd and saved the money and hassle of retaking the DAT.

They weren't wrong, a 13 is pretty far below...where bad would be. how did you get in? who knows...maybe you were lucky...maybe something assumption etc. bottom line is that it was advice and you can free to use it or not, but don't be all spiteful now thinking your all bad with your 13 in math. btw jepedo, someone wrote b****** and not b****...my guess is he was trying to say "bastard!" :D

Hot pickle baby said:
you bet!

If SDN is NO longer helpful to you ... don't read, don't post... simple as that.

And with your math score... at least they were nice enough to give you feedback. If you were THAT confident in yourself, then you shouldn't have posted anything in the first place.

Hot pickle baby said:
you bet!

I don't really know anybody with 13 in any section of DAT and got in. They all took it again. 13 is not the norm just like under 3.0 is not norm. This may happen from time to time but it is very rare and you can't count on it becasue it would be foolish to sit around waiting for schools to make that exception.

Mustt Mustt said:
I don't really know anybody with 13 in any section of DAT and got in. They all took it again. 13 is not the norm just like under 3.0 is not norm. This may happen from time to time but it is very rare and you can't count on it becasue it would be foolish to sit around waiting for schools to make that exception.

the problem I see with SDN is that the moderators only let you talk about their interests and once you question a dam thing they go and take your account away...

then you have to set up a new one and it takes like 1 minute.

aggravating.

why are they so gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.