MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 4, 2005
Status
I'm going to a different college next year (transfer student) and have a difficult choice to make. I got a scholarship to pay for my rent.

It's a 2 bedroom apartment...

1. I can room w/ my kinda weird friend (2 guys to 1 room) and rent out the other room to someone else. Good thing is, I get to pocket $450 per MONTH!

2. I can have my own room and let my friend find his own roomie. Good thing is, I get my own room. But I don't get to pocket any money (more expensive)!

What would you do?

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
MrDreamWeaver said:
I'm going to a different college next year (transfer student) and have a difficult choice to make. I got a scholarship to pay for my rent.

1. I can room w/ my kinda weird friend (2 guys to 1 room) and rent out the other room to someone else. Good thing is, I get to pocket $450 per MONTH!

2. I can have my own room and let my friend find his own roomie. Good thing is, I get my own room. But I don't get to pocket any money (more expensive)!

What would you do?
That depends. Define how he is weird. If his quirky habits are so peculiar that they offset your ability to study effectively, then go for the single room. However, if he just doesn't clean his dishes and likes to watch Star Trek or something (ie: fairly innocuous habits/personality), then there's no good reason not to get an extra $5k per year.

If he isn't a total pain, then I'd take the money. $5k to a college student = millionaire.
-Dr. P.

OP
M

MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 4, 2005
Status
Hm.. good point. I should have explained "weird" --

He acts like a ****** when he's drunk -- literally.
He's really, really nice. Maybe too nice.

-- guess that's it, lol. I'd really like to have my own room but it's difficult to turn down $450/mo. It would be nice to have some spending $$ :)

About the Ads

Sartre79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think you can legally rent it out to anyone, since you don't own the property. Could run the risk of getting your scholarship rescinded as well.

beaverfetus

poo-tee-weet?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
MrDreamWeaver said:

What would you do?
I'd take the single room, and let your friend have the double. Now here's where you make back your money: Set up a web cam in your weird friend's double, and get a chimp in there. Now create a website called weirdguyandchimp.com and people would pay good money to see the odd couple go about their daily lives. I'm guessing that would net you about 700 a month, which would offset the sizeable chimp catching fee and 450 your missing out on....

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
beaverfetus said:
I'd take the single room, and let your friend have the double. Now here's where you make back your money: Set up a web cam in your weird friend's double, and get a chimp in there. Now create a website called weirdguyandchimp.com and people would pay good money to see the odd couple go about their daily lives. I'm guessing that would net you about 700 a month, which would offset the sizeable chimp catching fee and 450 your missing out on....
Yeah this is what I did, when I was in the same situation.

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
MrDreamWeaver said:
I'd really like to have my own room but it's difficult to turn down $450/mo.:)
You just answered your own question.

Just from your post, I can tell that you won't have nearly as fun with a roommate, so you might as well have a single room. Plus, as someone else notably mentioned, they might rescind the scholarship if you are trying to cash out on it.

No need to satisfy anyone else. It's obvious that you want your own room, so screw me and screw SDN and go get your single room.

You're a pre-med. You're going to be poor for a good 15 years anyway.
-Dr. P.

Darkshooter326

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Yea, if you are not a freshman or sophomore, then having a single is incredibly better. For an entire year, it is worth it to have your own space :sleep:

About the Ads