Now... what's a 'generalized' competitive score??? BE HONEST EVERYONE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmaniac

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the title is pretty self-explanatory, but I would also like to know the balance thing with GPA vs. PCAT

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I once told a preceptor that my GPA was 3.3 when I was applying to pharmacy school. He said "yeah, you're gonna have to get that up." That was before I told him I went to a private school. I heard from a pharmaceutics professor that anything above 3.4 from my school was good. But it really depends on the school.

With the PCAT, anything above 75 percentile is usually good since you're around the average PCAT range for many schools. If you can get 85 or 90, then you have a good PCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is no general competitive score...

first, your school is ranked based on academic rigor.

e.g. a 3.5 from a top tier school (e.g. top 50 schools based on US NEWS ranking) is valued more than say a 3.9 from a lower tiered school or a community college.

for PCATs, the general consensus from these forums is around a 70% composite.

e.g. a 3.5 from a top tier school (e.g. top 50 schools based on US NEWS ranking) is valued more than say a 3.9 from a lower tiered school or a community college.

Okay, I see. Well I go to UofT in Canada (Best school :rolleyes:). It is estimated that roughly 1000 will apply, 240 get acceptance. Can you comment on that?

Unfortunately, a lot of pharmacy schools apparently don't take into account your school. Which sucks for me, because i DID go to a top tier school, and got a lower GPA (3.2). Many of the schools I talked to said they don't differentiate between schools, and if they DO, then they only take into account university vs. community college. It doesn't matter if it's high or low tier.

Unfortunately, a lot of pharmacy schools apparently don't take into account your school. Which sucks for me, because i DID go to a top tier school, and got a lower GPA (3.2). Many of the schools I talked to said they don't differentiate between schools, and if they DO, then they only take into account university vs. community college. It doesn't matter if it's high or low tier.

It's definitely school dependent. I doubt my 3.59 at CSUSB would have competed with the same GPA from a UC at some schools especially when most of my prereqs were from CC, but USC let me in anyway.

Okay, I see. Well I go to UofT in Canada (Best school :rolleyes:). It is estimated that roughly 1000 will apply, 240 get acceptance. Can you comment on that?
Too hard to say. cGPA and PCAT both matter, and Toronto looks at every subsection rather than just composite.

In general I think you should be looking at 3.3-3.5 cGPA and maybe mid 80s-low 90s composite with most of your subsections in the 80s preferably with 1-2 in the 90s for more of a sure thing... but keep in mind there is an interview component for this year so maybe more people will be invited for that extra step in the weeding process.