Now with CBT, when is best time to take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlgone

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I had Chem and Bio in my Freshman year and am taking Physics and Organic in my sophmore year, would it be smart to spend this coming summer (after my sophomore year) taking a prep course/studying for the test and taking my 1st MCAT then, or should I wait until the spring of my Junior year. Now that the test is offered more often, is the traditional recommendation of spring of Junior year outdated??

My rationale is Chem and Physics will never be fresher in my mind than at the end of my second year. Are there any courses such as Biochem, Anatomy, or Cell Biology that will make a big enough difference on the MCAT to justify my delay in taking the test and risk forgetting what I learned? I would also be more focussed on preparing over the summer than during the year (when I'd be studying Biochem and cell biology). If I don't do as well as I had hoped, I still have my Junior year to study and re-take the MCAT?

What are people thoughts? Am I on the right track or misguided?

Members don't see this ad.

If I had Chem and Bio in my Freshman year and am taking Physics and Organic in my sophmore year, would it be smart to spend this coming summer (after my sophomore year) taking a prep course/studying for the test and taking my 1st MCAT then, or should I wait until the spring of my Junior year. Now that the test is offered more often, is the traditional recommendation of spring of Junior year outdated??

My rationale is Chem and Physics will never be fresher in my mind than at the end of my second year. Are there any courses such as Biochem, Anatomy, or Cell Biology that will make a big enough difference on the MCAT to justify my delay in taking the test and risk forgetting what I learned? I would also be more focussed on preparing over the summer than during the year (when I'd be studying Biochem and cell biology). If I don't do as well as I had hoped, I still have my Junior year to study and re-take the MCAT?

What are people thoughts? Am I on the right track or misguided?

I'll be taking it the september before I apply, that way I have the whole summer. I think that would be the best time if you had already finished all pre-reqs/recommended courses.

I took the MCAT 10 years after my last chemistry lecture. I had to relearn some things, but they came quickly. If you learned the material well the first time all you'll need is a good review. My biggest regret is that I didn't take Physiology before I tested -- not that it had been so long since my last chem course.

I've heard from some that organic is being somewhat de-emphasized (don't know if that's true) and if so, would additional Bio courses beyond first two semesters be helpful?

Besides Physiology, what about Biochemistry, Genetics, Cell Biology, Anatomy, Microbiology, etc.?

I'd appreciate a ranking frm those with experience which courses beyond the pre-reqs would be most helpful before taking the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
anatomy, biochem, genetics, cell/molecular bio.. all good things to have some foundation in. but the first time i took the mcat, i just had the basic pre-reqs and after studying with kaplan, was able to get 9's in the sciences (fairly decent for a non-science major). so i'm sure if you're a science major and also taking some upper-level courses, you'll be fine

I've heard from some that organic is being somewhat de-emphasized (don't know if that's true) and if so, would additional Bio courses beyond first two semesters be helpful?

Besides Physiology, what about Biochemistry, Genetics, Cell Biology, Anatomy, Microbiology, etc.?

I'd appreciate a ranking frm those with experience which courses beyond the pre-reqs would be most helpful before taking the MCAT.
Just the pre-reqs plus cell bio. Check the sig for the results.

It's definitely doable to score very high with only the pre-reqs. It's not knowledge recall questions that differentiate a 10 from a 13, its the thinking ones.

It seems from all the post I have read that the last test influences the responses (genetics is essential or you realy need physiology). I have to take all of these classes, but I want to do them in the order that helps out with MCATs most.

I'm leaning towrds Cell Bio and Physiology but Genetics seems to be recommended allot also. No one thinks Micro is important, and Biochem gets very mixed opnions (for MCATs, I agree it is important before Med School).