Nowadays, do most black applicants actually want strong skin-color preferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markcinnn

PGY1
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if some AA applicants (who manage to achieve a GPA of 3.5 and above and an MCAT of 50 percentile and above) wish the affirmative action advantage wasn't so huge, as evidenced by AMCAS stats?

This is reasonably a source of disapproval merit-wise not just by whites but by brown-skinned Asians. Sure, it allows for much easier admission into medical school but it gives a stigma of inferior competency equivalency that follows someone for life.

Understandably, there is many (maybe as high as 50%) AA's every year that could have gotten in even without the AA advantage but they would still have to pay this social, if not openly talked out, price for it.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally didn't care. I let my stats speak for me - it continues to push me to stay on top of my stuff. Plus it's always interesting to see people's faces when I explain a concept or give a talk and they realize I know my stuff.

Reactions: 8 users
I personally didn't care. I let my stats speak for me - it continues to push me to stay on top of my stuff. Plus it's always interesting to see people's faces when I explain a concept or give a talk and they realize I know my stuff.

Let's be real - many more people can do well in medical school than are actually admitted. A reasonable estimate is a few (2-6) thousand people, mostly asian or white, get denied admission each year who have higher academic profiles and ability than black applicants who were admitted. You already failed in a one-on-one competition with them in terms of classes and standardized tests, doing decently well in "explaining a concept or giving a talk" afterwards doesn't really make up for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's be real - many more people can do well in medical school than are actually admitted. A reasonable estimate is a few (2-6) thousand people, mostly asian or white, get denied admission each year who have higher academic profiles and ability than black applicants who were admitted. You already failed in a one-on-one competition with them in terms of classes and standardized tests, doing decently well in "explaining a concept or giving a talk" afterwards doesn't really make up for that.

I can't really worry about other people like that - I got my own goals and aspirations. And no I can't imagine I "failed in a one-on-one competition" with those other applicants since my stats were in the 99th percentile and I would venture to say the people who had "stronger" stats weren't that academically different than I was.

Reactions: 2 users
And here is where you reveal your true motive...

Reactions: 24 users
And here is where you reveal your true motive...
Motive that all people should conform to the same academic standards? Why don't you be specific instead of retreating to that unfounded insinuation?

The question at heart is why is skin color enough to make a GPA 3.20-3.39 with MCAT 24-26 (new test equivalent) likely admissible when much more stronger and devoted candidates get rejected? At this day and age, after a black president has been elected twice?

You started to but then realized you have nothing to say beyond supporting unfounded insinuations. Grow up.

I started but stopped because this topic has been discussed ad nauseam especially on this forum at which a consensus is never reached. The research is out there; all positions have been covered. If you want to have meaningful discourse, grow up, stop trolling an anonymous website, and find the appropriate forum. Or better yet, get off the internet and go do your job; I hear residents are supposed to be busy or something like that...

Reactions: 16 users
I started but stopped because this topic has been discussed ad nauseam especially on this forum at which a consensus is never reached. The research is out there; all positions have been covered. If you want to have meaningful discourse, grow up, stop trolling an anonymous website, and find the appropriate forum. Or better yet, get off the internet and go do your job; I hear residents are supposed to be busy or something like that...

Reck'd

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The question at heart is why is skin color enough to make a GPA 3.20-3.39 with MCAT 24-26 (new test equivalent) likely admissible when much more stronger and devoted candidates get rejected? At this day and age, after a black president has been elected twice?

It's "much stronger and devoted candidates get rejected.?" How did you do on verbal?

Reactions: 4 users
So you are clearly bias against black people because this was directed towards black people even though there are other minorities. How is the "affirmative action so huge" when there are way less black people even applying to med school vs white or Asian people? As a matter of fact out of all the races black applicants are the lowest. So why is this only directed to black people?
I honestly would not feel comfortable with you being my doctor. You are already bias. Good luck in your career as a doctor.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's "much stronger and devoted candidates get rejected.?" How did you do on verbal?
Easily better than the average black doc according to readily available stats.
So you are clearly bias against black people because this was directed towards black people even though there are other minorities. How is the "affirmative action so huge" when there are way less black people even applying to med school vs white or Asian people? As a matter of fact out of all the races black applicants are the lowest. So why is this only directed to black people?
I honestly would not feel comfortable with you being my doctor. You are already bias. Good luck in your career as a doctor.
Because black applicants get by far the greatest amount of statistical assist. In a recent gallup poll, only 22% of whites and 48% of blacks think race should be a factor in college admissions (http://www.gallup.com/poll/163655/reject-considering-race-college-admissions.aspx). What do you imagine they would think if they were brought aware of the fact that medical school admissions makes race a much bigger factor than college admissions? That their black doctor is a beneficiary of a much more perverse AA? Do you think the lay public cares that their doctor is academic, lol?

If the public was made better aware a black doctor would then (rightly, not because they are black but because of the AA they received) become a lower-rung or last-resort provider.

Easily better than the average black doc according to readily available stats.

Because black applicants get by far the greatest amount of statistical assist. In a recent gallup poll, only 22% of whites and 48% of blacks think race should be a factor in college admissions (http://www.gallup.com/poll/163655/reject-considering-race-college-admissions.aspx). What do you imagine they would think if they were brought aware of the fact that medical school admissions makes race a much bigger factor than college admissions? That their black doctor is a beneficiary of a much more perverse AA? Do you think the lay public cares that their doctor is academic, lol?

If the public was made better aware a black doctor would then (rightly, not because they are black but because of the AA they received) become a lower-rung or last-resort provider.
lol, you are so cute when you lack social awareness and are trying so hard to make URMs mad. Keep telling me why some black docs are terrible because they got in with a lower MCAT and undergraduate GPA. You know being a good doctor has nothing to do with learning the material in medical school and in residency. I didn't know that the B I got in technical writing was so important in the treatment of patients. Can you tell me why you care so much about this? I'm bored at work and would love to hear why you feel so strongly about this.

Reactions: 12 users
So I guess you think we can read each others mind and know what "most" black applicants think. It really doesn't matter because you already thought you knew what we thought when you asked the question. I like to leave a little mystery.You seem to have a lot of hate in your heart for black people. Is it because you weren't invited to the cookout?

Reactions: 9 users
The lay public doesn't care about whether or not their black doctor got in due to race because at the end of the day they want someone who can effectively treat them. Patients don't pick docs based on what school they went to, they don't pick based on whether or not that provider was top of their class.
They want a professional doctor who cares about their well being, someone who empathizes with their pain and is dedicated to making them healthy again. The very first doctors in history didn't even go to school, they were inquisitive people who saw a problem with the human body and devised a way to fix it.
My point is regardless of race that doctor is a licensed medical provider so obviously they didn't pass state board simply because of their skin color, or are you implying that you believe the affirmative action goes all the way to the state licensing board? Remember just because you get into Medical school doesn't mean you'll become a doctor, plenty have tried and failed or dropped out before continuing.
And furthermore why bring this to URM's anyway? We're not the ones who make the decisions about who gets in and who doesn't. We just show up, slay stats, completely dominate the interview and walk away with a prayer that we'll get into the school of our choice much like all the other so-called 'much stronger and devoted candidates'.
Honestly you sound like the same type of person who thinks an immigrant from Mexico stole their job. lol

Reactions: 15 users
The lay public doesn't care about whether or not their black doctor got in due to race because at the end of the day they want someone who can effectively treat them. Patients don't pick docs based on what school they went to, they don't pick based on whether or not that provider was top of their class.
They want a professional doctor who cares about their well being, someone who empathizes with their pain and is dedicated to making them healthy again. The very first doctors in history didn't even go to school, they were inquisitive people who saw a problem with the human body and devised a way to fix it.
My point is regardless of race that doctor is a licensed medical provider so obviously they didn't pass state board simply because of their skin color, or are you implying that you believe the affirmative action goes all the way to the state licensing board? Remember just because you get into Medical school doesn't mean you'll become a doctor, plenty have tried and failed or dropped out before continuing.
And furthermore why bring this to URM's anyway? We're not the ones who make the decisions about who gets in and who doesn't. We just show up, slay stats, completely dominate the interview and walk away with a prayer that we'll get into the school of our choice much like all the other so-called 'much stronger and devoted candidates'.
Honestly you sound like the same type of person who thinks an immigrant from Mexico stole their job. lol

Right on Right on
481d777f355255b1f69a22bb7d48ebb2.jpg

So I guess you think we can read each others mind and know what "most" black applicants think. It really doesn't matter because you already thought you knew what we thought when you asked the question. I like to leave a little mystery.You seem to have a lot of hate in your heart for black people. Is it because you weren't invited to the cookout?
I knew we should have saved a plate for @markcinnn. Now he all mad cause he didn't get that fish fry with some mustard. I get it man, it's hard out there for a pimp.

I knew we should have saved a plate for @markcinnn. Now he all mad cause he didn't get that fish fry with some mustard. I get it man, it's hard out there for a pimp.

I know right. But @markcinnn your going to have to come with a better attitude then that to get a plate.

Reactions: 3 users
Bruh, people are beginning to get creative with these anti URM posts.

Lol ikr?! It's pathetic really, apparently we should be ashamed because we're black and got into med school yet white privilege is a figment of our imaginations. At the end of the day, the better doctor is gonna get their license. No point in crying and whining because it wasn't you, it's not like we URM's can do anything about it. And even if we could why would we?!

Reactions: 7 users
Lol ikr?! It's pathetic really, apparently we should be ashamed because we're black and got into med school yet white privilege is a figment of our imaginations. At the end of the day, the better doctor is gonna get their license. No point in crying and whining because it wasn't you, it's not like we URM's can do anything about it. And even if we could why would we?!

I don't fully get the ins and outs of it as a Canadian looking in, but sheer number of anti URM posts on this forum just in the last month is actually alarming even to an onlooker like myself. Another thing that is very troubling is how anti URM threads really are closeted anti AA students threads - they always seem to go after African American students not other minorities. For URM students out there, I think people are just getting bitter the more time passes and they don't get accepted, don't let anyone take this from you. You have earned it!

Reactions: 16 users
@markcinnn where you at? I'm leaving work early cause I thought you would be back here trying to troll the hell out of us. I am thoroughly disappointed in you! I guess you are really busy during your intern year and have better things to do than to troll the URM forum. Good luck to you in all your endeavors!

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, I'll bite because I want to continue an actual discussion about this topic. I still have a problem that people recommend east Asians to get 3.8+GPAs to be considered competitive applicants while URMs can be considered competitive with a 3.3-3.6.

So I guess here's the question: If you don't really think you benefited from AA, why do you still support it?

Ok, I'll bite because I want to continue an actual discussion about this topic. I still have a problem that people recommend east Asians to get 3.8+GPAs to be considered competitive applicants while URMs can be considered competitive with a 3.3-3.6.

So I guess here's the question: If you don't really think you benefited from AA, why do you still support it?
That's a dumb question. At least you can try to do better than @markcinnn ... I like the fact that you used the word "discussion". That was cool dude

Last edited:

First off as I mentioned above GPA will only get you so far in your Med school application, I'm curious as to why others don't seem to want to factor these into account as well. Are you implying you believe that interviewers for Med school are glossing over these other categories simply because of an applicants race? Because that seems a bit ridiculous.
Second, we didn't create AA so I'm not sure what you mean by still support it. What exactly constitutes support to you?

That's a dumb question. At least you can try to do better than @markcinnn ... I like the fact that you used the word "discussion". That was cool dude

I agree @Kgizzle this appears to be nothing at all like a discussion and is starting to look more like trolling.

Wow he pretended like he wanted to know what URMs' own perceptions of themselves were given AA advantage (which first of all AA is not a component of med school admissions, but anyway) and instead goes on a rant about how black students "fail toe to toe" with white/asian students and that black doctors are "lower rung and last-resort providers". Just WOW. WOW. WOW.

He tried really hard to cloak the hate he was harboring towards URM, actually no hate towards black students and doctors SPECIFICALLY, but I guess that ugly has a way of seeping out no matter how hard you try. Hard to believe that a resident believes grades from college is the only qualifier for being a good doctor, and that an A in orgo shows devotion to people and medicine apparently.

I am going to guess you are a pre-med, still not IN yet. Keep your head down and keep working, you are losing "toe-to-toe" with tens of thousands of white, asian, hispanic, black, native american, middle eastern, and every other demographic of people getting into medical school.

One last note, may I remind you all, the TOS for anti-URM and anti-AA is clearly outlined to be saved for the Political Forum. So whoever wants to have that "discussion" should go there instead of trying to come bully, judge, and demean URM students who are minding their own business, working on themselves, and helping each other make it in the healthcare field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Wow he pretended like he wanted to know what URMs' own perceptions of themselves were given AA advantage (which first of all AA is not a component of med school admissions, but anyway) and instead goes on a rant about how black students "fail toe to toe" with white/asian students and that black doctors are "lower rung and last-resort providers". Just WOW. WOW. WOW.

He tried really hard to cloak the hate he was harboring towards URM, actually no hate towards black students and doctors SPECIFICALLY, but I guess that ugly has a way of seeping out no matter how hard you try. Hard to believe that a resident believes grades from college is the only qualifier for being a good doctor, and that an A in orgo shows devotion to people and medicine apparently.

I am going to guess you are a pre-med, still not IN yet. Keep your head down and keep working, you are losing "toe-to-toe" with tens of thousands of white, asian, hispanic, black, naive american, middle eastern, and every other demographic of people getting into medical school.

One last note, may I remind you all, the TOS for anti-URM and anti-AA is clearly outlined to be saved for the Political Forum. So whoever wants to have that "discussion" should go there instead of trying to come bully, judge, and demean URM students who are minding their own business, working on themselves, and helping each other make it in the healthcare field.

This post, just... all of it.
55940357.jpg

The fact that you're bothered by the question says a lot buddy. And I like that you call it trolling instead of engaging in the debate. It sounds like to me that you don't have a counterargument and want to continue partaking in the benefits URM status gives you. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Prove to me why AA is needed if no URM benefits from it instead of pussyfooting your way around a topic that bothers you by calling it trolling. I'd like to hear your opinion and I'm open to changing my opinion if there's a good reason for AA

First off as I mentioned above GPA will only get you so far in your Med school application, I'm curious as to why others don't seem to want to factor these into account as well. Are you implying you believe that interviewers for Med school are glossing over these other categories simply because of an applicants race? Because that seems a bit ridiculous.
Second, we didn't create AA so I'm not sure what you mean by still support it. What exactly constitutes support to you?

I agree @Kgizzle this appears to be nothing at all like a discussion and is starting to look more like trolling.

Okay, if GPA only gets you so far why are the requirements so stringent? Why is GPA even a requirement? Sure GPA only gets you so far, but why is it that people tell you to reconsider medical school as a non-URM applicant if you have below a 3.3 (or even a 3.5)?

As far as I know the GPA requirements are so high because it is a weed out mechanism. So why are some groups getting a lower bar?

Also the percent of URMs accepted with a 3.4-3.59 is 45-46%. For ORMs it's 32-35%. If you drop down to the 3.2-3.39 range it's ~36% URM, 20% ORM. So you're telling me that it just happens that more URMs have these "other factors" in this GPA range but ORMs don't? I don't think it's a coincidence that those numbers line up that way
-This is based on the tables posted by AAMCAS- https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/157998/factstablea24.html

And, I used support lightly. You guys didn't say anything that sounded like you were against it. Maybe you don't support it, but it seems you're at least okay with it. So why should it be okay? Like I said I'm willing to change my perspective if you have a good argument

@WhittyPsyche the problem I have with AA is that certain races (such as my own, I won't say what it is) are forced to have higher academic stats to feel comfortable with their application, not whatever you're putting in my mouth. Maybe AA isn't a factor, but the applications are not race blind. Also if you look at the the AAMCAS table for acceptance by GPA and MCAT you'll notice that the % accepted for lower GPA applicants for URMs are much higher than their ORM counterparts, such that having a GPA one category below gives you a similar percentage (at least above the 3.0 mark). I refuse to believe that 50% of sub 3.5 URMs were qualified "in other ways" but only 30% of Asians and whites were in that same way

To be honest I didn't see this was the URM sub. OP may or may not be trolling, but I'd like to hear from groups that are supposed beneficiaries of AA (but esp those in that group that say they don't benefit from it) why we need AA (and by AA I'm also including the idea of forced diversity, ie lowering the bar to build a diverse class). I saw that was the case here so I asked my question

@Danny L
As I stated above there are many more categories that you're not discussing here that go into a Med school application.
GPA
MCAT Score
Community service (Medical and Non-medical)
Letters of recommendation
Personal statements
Medical/clinical work experience
Leadership experience
Completion of premed requirements
Experience with underserved populations
All these categories factor into acceptance according to the AAMC
https://www.aamc.org/download/261106/data/aibvol11_no6.pdf

There's probably more that I'm missing but hopefully you get the point.
A person applying to Med school would need all of these just to get an interview! Not to mention they have to get through Med school and pass their state board certification.
Now I'll ask again, do you honestly believe that AA is causing adcom's to overlook all these factors simply because of a person's race? And if so please show me the data to prove this is true.
Because from the data that I've reviewed, which the OP and yourself was so gracious to supply and base an argument on, shows that out of 80,000 Caucasian applicants each year 45% are accepted. However on the other side of the spectrum out of 11,000 African American applicants only 36.2% are accepted.
I'm not seeing the unfair advantage here. https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/157998/factstablea24.html

Reactions: 8 users
The fact that you're bothered by the question says a lot buddy. And I like that you call it trolling instead of engaging in the debate. It sounds like to me that you don't have a counterargument and want to continue partaking in the benefits URM status gives you. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Prove to me why AA is needed if no URM benefits from it instead of pussyfooting your way around a topic that bothers you by calling it trolling. I'd like to hear your opinion and I'm open to changing my opinion if there's a good reason for AA
Okay this is a little bit better than the other guy. You even threw in that you're open to changing your opinion. Nice! I'll be more than happy to answer your question once I stop being bothered by your other one.:mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: 1 user

Okay, if GPA only gets you so far why are the requirements so stringent? Why is GPA even a requirement? Sure GPA only gets you so far, but why is it that people tell you to reconsider medical school as a non-URM applicant if you have below a 3.3 (or even a 3.5)?

As far as I know the GPA requirements are so high because it is a weed out mechanism. So why are some groups getting a lower bar?

Also the percent of URMs accepted with a 3.4-3.59 is 45-46%. For ORMs it's 32-35%. If you drop down to the 3.2-3.39 range it's ~36% URM, 20% ORM. So you're telling me that it just happens that more URMs have these "other factors" in this GPA range but ORMs don't? I don't think it's a coincidence that those numbers line up that way
-This is based on the tables posted by AAMCAS- https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/157998/factstablea24.html

And, I used support lightly. You guys didn't say anything that sounded like you were against it. Maybe you don't support it, but it seems you're at least okay with it. So why should it be okay? Like I said I'm willing to change my perspective if you have a good argument

@WhittyPsyche the problem I have with AA is that certain races (such as my own, I won't say what it is) are forced to have higher academic stats to feel comfortable with their application, not whatever you're putting in my mouth. Maybe AA isn't a factor, but the applications are not race blind. Also if you look at the the AAMCAS table for acceptance by GPA and MCAT you'll notice that the % accepted for lower GPA applicants for URMs are much higher than their ORM counterparts, such that having a GPA one category below gives you a similar percentage (at least above the 3.0 mark). I refuse to believe that 50% of sub 3.5 URMs were qualified "in other ways" but only 30% of Asians and whites were in that same way

To be honest I didn't see this was the URM sub. OP may or may not be trolling, but I'd like to hear from groups that are supposed beneficiaries of AA (but esp those in that group that say they don't benefit from it) why we need AA (and by AA I'm also including the idea of forced diversity, ie lowering the bar to build a diverse class). I saw that was the case here so I asked my question

I am not sure why you are addressing me as I didn't address you, so I am not sure where you got that I put anything in your mouth as I never bothered to read your post to begin with. However, you completely missed the point in the very first sentence of my post. There is no Affirmative Action in medical school admissions. It is the stated goal of AAMC, and the stated goal of specific medical schools to educate and train physicians to represent the population of the U.S. To bring proper culturally relevant care to minorities and other populations that are in high risk groups and have not received appropriate care for hundreds of years. It is documented that white and asian physician, by and large, do not or refuse to work in various subsets of America which has created severe deficits and what we all call "underserved areas" with a roll of the tongue without really understanding what that means. It has been evidenced that minorities, URM, and at risk groups who become doctors are far more likely to return to their communities and make a change which has been one of the main areas of relieving health care disparities; the people who care about those communities return to help them. The mission is to increase access, make sure culturally relevant access is available to all and to work on achieving healthcare equity.

In nothing you have posted, have you addressed those issues and those reasons are at the core of increasing URM recruitment and acceptance into medical school. Instead I only see "but hey, lower gpa and mcat is acceptable on average for URM and it's a higher bar for Asians".

I strongly believe if someone is truly interested in knowing and understanding the "why" of any question, they would explore all sides of the issue. This means not the superficial parts, not just the parts that pertain to you, not just the parts that make you the benefactor or the one that loses out but all parts. And this is where anti-URM and anti-AA threads become absolutely pointless and contribute nothing of value, because 99.99999% of those who start these threads and participate in them, never take the time to explore every facet of the issue they claim to be arguing about. Instead, they only know about the one thing that personally affects them, which for the vast majority is the GPA/MCAT averages which they feel is a direct slight against them.

-So you know that GPA/MCAT is not the only part of the picture. Yes? Okay, but that doesn't matter to you. So you know disadvantaged students are more likely to have desirable traits in their application that adcoms seek, "the path travelled" and all that. Yes? Okay, but that doesn't matter to you.
-Did you know that URM students, namely hispanic/latino, black, and native american are many times more likely to be economically and socially disadvantaged, therefore making the two groups largely overlapping? Yes? Okay, but that doesn't matter to you.
-You mentioned that you can't see how the two groups could have major differences in the "other" aspects to make that ratio (50% of black to 30% of Asians for example). Well, this is in fact the truth. The medical school applicant pool better represents the middle and upper middle class of society. So just from pure chance, a white and/or asian applicant is far more likely to have come from a two parent household, higher income, better schooling, better opportunities, better everything. While a hispanic/black/native american applicant, is far more likely t come from a poor family, single parent home, bad neighborhood, severely lacking school system, lack of enrichment from early childhood and on. So statistically, yes a black/hispanic/native american applicant is more likely to have things in their application that demonstrate overcoming many obstacles through life in order to get to the point of applying. There are white students that receive acceptances with lower stats who come from these type of backgrounds, your response will be yeah but less often, well there are less often white applicants that represent that group. Have you striated the data to account for the chances of a disadvantaged white who applies with this type of background, rather than the low overall percent chance for all whites who applied? Or do you care to know the difference? Yes? No?
-On that point, did you know that medical school admissions is not a meritocracy? I think you have an inkling here. Do you understand that the goal is to train physicians that meet the needs of the patient population in the US, not to give everyone who had a high GPA a gold star and give them their entitled seat in medical school for doing so?
-You know that those AAMC tables you and everyone else reverts to does not separate the HBCUs, or the Puerto Rican schools both of which sole mission is to provide medical education to minorities, the reason they were created, since you know it was illegal for blacks to get this educations, and later discrimination made it impossible. Yes? No?
Do you understand why that is important? Do you care?
-Did you know these schools take applicants with much lower stats in order to achieve this mission? Yes? No? Do you understand why that is important? Do you care?
-Do you know that on those tables, a total of 4400 black applicants and 5700 hispanic/latino were accepted to medical school, do you know how those numbers are affected by the number of students who were accepted into the aforementioned schools? Yes? No? Does that matter to you?
-Do you know how that would affect the % chances at each gpa/mcat threshold if you ignored the acceptances? Do you know exactly how much of an advantage you would be able to find from each bin, for example how a difference of "45-46% to 32-36%" would be affected? Have you tried to striate that data? Does that matter to you?
-Finally to circle back after going through the nitpicky stuff. You mentioned forced diversity. Do you believe a diverse class in unnecessary? Why? did you know white males used to say the same thing about letting women into medical schools? When women were first allowed to pursue medical education, it was the result of female only medical schools being created with the stated mission of education/training for a female cohort of physicians. They had lower stats than males, they were actively recruited, and in the previously male only schools they were also recruited and accepted at lower standards in order to achieve diversity. Do you see this force diversity of educating women as a negative? Why do we need forced gender diversity, white males were fully capable of caring for women and women of all races at that? Do you support that? Do you realize that is the only reason female patients are now able to choose to see a female doctor? Does that matter to you? It matters to patients.
-Did you know letting asians into medical schools in the US was an act of "forced diversity"? Are you against that? Or is it only when we are forcing diversity for blacks, hispanics and native americans? (Note: if you seriously do not understand the social, emotional, cognitive, and moral advantages of diversity then this conversation would be more of a commitment than I could reasonable bear.)
-Have you looked at any of the research on doctor-patient relationships? Have you seen the data on how white doctors interact with minority patients? Do you know they are less likely to explain pertinent medical information, less likely to discuss negatives and positives of medications and procedures, less likely to take the patient's perceptions, opinions, wants and desires into account than they would with white patients, do you know that they have distinct patterns of what medications to prescribe and what procedures to pursue and what surgical interventions to refer depending on patient race that has nothing to do with any actual scientific evidence that supports choosing a speck protocol for a specific race? Do you know that they tend to spend more time with white patients, assume that the patient is more educated and agreeable (use of standardized patients here so only variable is the doctor's perception) and therefore have completely different visits/follow ups with white patients than black patients.
-Have you looked at outcomes research that shows how the interaction with the physician affects compliance, health outcomes and future help-seeking? Did you know much of the negatives are mitigated when patients see doctors who share their cultural/ethnic background? Or doctors with cultural competence, which is most likely to be the doctor that shares the same background, so essentially the same.
-Biggest question is then do you care that health outcomes for minorities are significantly better when they are able to see a doctor that shares their background? Do you care that this can help healthcare equity, disparities in access, disparities in help seeking, disparities in compliance, disparities in standard and quality of care?

All of these things have to addressed and considered seriously if you truly want to have a "discussion"... and yet we have barely scratched the surface.

Reactions: 26 users
@Danny L
As I stated above there are many more categories that you're not discussing here that go into a Med school application.
GPA
MCAT Score
Community service (Medical and Non-medical)
Letters of recommendation
Personal statements
Medical/clinical work experience
Leadership experience
Completion of premed requirements
Experience with underserved populations
All these categories factor into acceptance according to the AAMC
https://www.aamc.org/download/261106/data/aibvol11_no6.pdf

There's probably more that I'm missing but hopefully you get the point.
A person applying to Med school would need all of these just to get an interview! Not to mention they have to get through Med school and pass their state board certification.
Now I'll ask again, do you honestly believe that AA is causing adcom's to overlook all these factors simply because of a person's race? And if so please show me the data to prove this is true.
Because from the data that I've reviewed, which the OP and yourself was so gracious to supply and base an argument on, shows that out of 80,000 Caucasian applicants each year 45% are accepted. However on the other side of the spectrum out of 11,000 African American applicants only 36.2% are accepted.
I'm not seeing the unfair advantage here. https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/157998/factstablea24.html

I'm aware of what the other factors are buddy.

But, let's take a closer look at the numbers shall we? The area of contention is clearly the 3.0-3.6 range. That's where, supposedly, the URM benefit kicks in. Obviously URM status doesn't seem to affect sub 3.0GPAs which is generally the agreed on fact.

Now, back to your acceptance numbers. About 2.8k African Americans applied with BELOW a 3.0. That's OVER 23% of applicants!! (look, I can be patronizing and condescending too!!) Now let's look at Asians. Only about 1.9k Asians applied with a sub-3.0, which amounts to about 5-6% of the applicants. For whites, about 3.5k applied with a sub3.0 which is ~4.5%. Look at the difference, and then think about why only 36% of African Americans were accepted. Note I'm going to use African Americans as the stand in because that's what you used

Conveniently, you seemed to ignore the 3.2-3.6 range, which is where URM status kicks in. No one says URMs help those with extremely ****ty GPAs. The argument is that URMs help those slightly under the cutoff, where that cutoff is lowered to accommodate for those individuals to help build "diversity."

Ok let's look at the >3.0 GPA numbers. If the applicant has >3.8, ~70% get accepted. This is consistent across the board from Asians to Hispanics, etc. Now if we drop down to the 3.6-3.79 section, the acceptance rate drops to 50% for ORM and 60% for URM. Hmmm. Now to the 3.4.3.69 section (hint hint, we're getting close to the hotspot!!). For whites and Asians that number drops to 30%, for URMs, that number is in the 50% range. If you go to the 3.2-3.39 section, 20% of ORMs are accepted while 35% of URMs are accepted. Are you noticing a trend?

Okay this is a little bit better than the other guy. You even threw in that you're open to changing your opinion. Nice! I'll be more than happy to answer your question once I stop being bothered by your other one.:mad::mad::mad:

You know what's funny? One of us is engaging in the discussion seriously and the other is just dicking around. But, the one that's doing that is accusing the person actually engaging in the discussion of trolling, and in a condescending way because they think the opposing argument should not be taken seriously. Okay you do you buddy

I'm aware of what the other factors are buddy.

But, let's take a closer look at the numbers shall we? The area of contention is clearly the 3.0-3.6 range. That's where, supposedly, the URM benefit kicks in. Obviously URM status doesn't seem to affect sub 3.0GPAs which is generally the agreed on fact.

Now, back to your acceptance numbers. About 2.8k African Americans applied with BELOW a 3.0. That's OVER 23% of applicants!! (look, I can be patronizing and condescending too!!) Now let's look at Asians. Only about 1.9k Asians applied with a sub-3.0, which amounts to about 5-6% of the applicants. For whites, about 3.5k applied with a sub3.0 which is ~4.5%. Look at the difference, and then think about why only 36% of African Americans were accepted. Note I'm going to use African Americans as the stand in because that's what you used

Conveniently, you seemed to ignore the 3.2-3.6 range, which is where URM status kicks in. No one says URMs help those with extremely ****ty GPAs. The argument is that URMs help those slightly under the cutoff, where that cutoff is lowered to accommodate for those individuals to help build "diversity."

Ok let's look at the >3.0 GPA numbers. If the applicant has >3.8, ~70% get accepted. This is consistent across the board from Asians to Hispanics, etc. Now if we drop down to the 3.6-3.79 section, the acceptance rate drops to 50% for ORM and 60% for URM. Hmmm. Now to the 3.4.3.69 section (hint hint, we're getting close to the hotspot!!). For whites and Asians that number drops to 30%, for URMs, that number is in the 50% range. If you go to the 3.2-3.39 section, 20% of ORMs are accepted while 35% of URMs are accepted. Are you noticing a trend?

You know what's funny? One of us is engaging in the discussion seriously and the other is just dicking around. But, the one that's doing that is accusing the person actually engaging in the discussion of trolling, and in a condescending way because they think the opposing argument should not be taken seriously. Okay you do you buddy
:thumbup:... good stuff

I am not sure why you are addressing me as I didn't address you, so I am not sure where you got that I put anything in your mouth as I never bothered to read your post to begin with. However, you completely missed the point in the very first sentence of my post. There is no Affirmative Action in medical school admissions. It is the stated goal of AAMC, and the stated goal of specific medical schools to educate and train physicians to represent the population of the U.S. To bring proper culturally relevant care to minorities and other populations that are in high risk groups and have not received appropriate care for hundreds of years. It is documented that white and asian physician, by and large, do not or refuse to work in various subsets of America which has created severe deficits and what we all call "underserved areas" with a roll of the tongue without really understanding what that means. It has been evidenced that minorities, URM, and at risk groups who become doctors are far more likely to return to their communities and make a change which has been one of the main areas of relieving health care disparities; the people who care about those communities return to help them. The mission is to increase access, make sure culturally relevant access is available to all and to work on achieving healthcare equity.

In nothing you have posted, have you addressed those issues and those reasons are at the core of increasing URM recruitment and acceptance into medical school. Instead I only see "but hey, lower gpa and mcat is acceptable on average for URM and it's a higher bar for Asians".

I strongly believe if someone is truly interested in knowing and understanding the "why" of any question, they would explore all sides of the issue. This means not the superficial parts, not just the parts that pertain to you, not just the parts that make you the benefactor or the one that loses out but all parts. And this is where anti-URM and anti-AA threads become absolutely pointless and contribute nothing of value, because 99.99999% of those who start these threads and participate in them, never take the time to explore every facet of the issue they claim to be arguing about. Instead, they only know about the one thing that personally affects them, which for the vast majority is the GPA/MCAT averages which they feel is a direct slight against them.

-So you know that GPA/MCAT is not the only part of the picture. Yes? Okay, but that doesn't matter to you. So you know disadvantaged students are more likely to have desirable traits in their application that adcoms seek, "the path travelled" and all that. Yes? Okay, but that doesn't matter to you.
-Did you know that URM students, namely hispanic/latino, black, and native american are many times more likely to be economically and socially disadvantaged, therefore making the two groups largely overlapping? Yes? Okay, but that doesn't matter to you.
-You mentioned that you can't see how the two groups could have major differences in the "other" aspects to make that ratio (50% of black to 30% of Asians for example). Well, this is in fact the truth. The medical school applicant pool better represents the middle and upper middle class of society. So just from pure chance, a white and/or asian applicant is far more likely to have come from a two parent household, higher income, better schooling, better opportunities, better everything. While a hispanic/black/native american applicant, is far more likely t come from a poor family, single parent home, bad neighborhood, severely lacking school system, lack of enrichment from early childhood and on. So statistically, yes a black/hispanic/native american applicant is more likely to have things in their application that demonstrate overcoming many obstacles through life in order to get to the point of applying. There are white students that receive acceptances with lower stats who come from these type of backgrounds, your response will be yeah but less often, well there are less often white applicants that represent that group. Have you striated the data to account for the chances of a disadvantaged white who applies with this type of background, rather than the low overall percent chance for all whites who applied? Or do you care to know the difference? Yes? No?
-On that point, did you know that medical school admissions is not a meritocracy? I think you have an inkling here. Do you understand that the goal is to train physicians that meet the needs of the patient population in the US, not to give everyone who had a high GPA a gold star and give them their entitled seat in medical school for doing so?
-You know that those AAMC tables you and everyone else reverts to does not separate the HBCUs, or the Puerto Rican schools both of which sole mission is to provide medical education to minorities, the reason they were created, since you know it was illegal for blacks to get this educations, and later discrimination made it impossible. Yes? No?
-Did you know these schools take applicants with much lower stats in order to achieve this mission? Yes? No? Do you understand why that is important? Do you care?
-Do you know that on those tables, a total of 4400 black applicants and 5700 hispanic/latino were accepted to medical school, do you know how those numbers are affected by the number of students who were accepted into the aforementioned schools? Yes? No? Does that matter to you?
-Do you know how that would affect the % chances at each gpa/mcat threshold if you ignored the acceptances? Do you know exactly how much of an advantage you would be able to find from each bin, for example how a difference of "45-46% to 32-36%" would be affected? Have you tried to striate that data? Does that matter to you?
-Finally to circle back after going through the nitpicky stuff. You mentioned forced diversity. Do you believe a diverse class in unnecessary? Why? did you know white males used to say the same thing about letting women into medical schools? When women were first allowed to pursue medical education, it was the result of female only medical schools being created with the stated mission of education/training for a female cohort of physicians. They had lower stats than males, they were actively recruited, and in the previously male only schools they were also recruited and accepted at lower standards in order to achieve diversity. Do you see this force diversity of educating women as a negative? Why do we need forced gender diversity, white males were fully capable of caring for women and women of all races at that? Do you support that? Do you realize that is the only reason female patients are now able to choose to see a female doctor? Does that matter to you? It matters to patients.
-Did you know letting asians into medical schools in the US was an act of "forced diversity"? Are you against that? Or is it only when we are forcing diversity for blacks, hispanics and native americans? (Note: if you seriously do not understand the social, emotional, cognitive, and moral advantages of diversity then this conversation would be more of a commitment than I could reasonable bear.)
-Have you looked at any of the research on doctor-patient relationships? Have you seen the data on how white doctors interact with minority patients? Do you know they are less likely to explain pertinent medical information, less likely to discuss negatives and positives of medications and procedures, less likely to take the patient's perceptions, opinions, wants and desires into account than they would with white patients, do you know that they have distinct patterns of what medications to prescribe and what procedures to pursue and what surgical interventions to refer depending on patient race that has nothing to do with any actual scientific evidence that supports choosing a speck protocol for a specific race? Do you know that they tend to spend more time with white patients, assume that the patient is more educated and agreeable (use of standardized patients here so only variable is the doctor's perception) and therefore have completely different visits/follow ups with white patients than black patients.
-Have you looked at outcomes research that shows how the interaction with the physician affects compliance, health outcomes and future help-seeking? Did you know much of the negatives are mitigated when patients see doctors who share their cultural/ethnic background? Or doctors with cultural competence, which is most likely to be the doctor that shares the same background, so essentially the same.
-Biggest question is then do you care that health outcomes for minorities are significantly better when they are able to see a doctor that shares their background? Do you care that this can help healthcare equity, disparities in access, disparities in help seeking, disparities in compliance, disparities in standard and quality of care?

All of these things have to addressed and considered seriously if you truly want to have a "discussion"... and yet we have barely scratched the surface.

Thank you for your detailed response and not being a condescending assh*le about it. Some of the stuff I am aware of, some of them I am not, so I'm glad I could learn something.

To add, personally I'm not against favoring economically disadvantaged students. I believe that could be a real hinderance to succeeding academically in school. Like if you're working full time, but have a lower GPA that's totally fair (this isn't a black and white stance for me, but nitpicking is difficult here for the adcoms. Something about financial support and EC involvement but that's not too important). Here's the thing though. If it truly is for economic status, call it that. Don't call it affirmative action and say it's to help URM. And, if med school admissions is not a meritocracy, why are people/adcoms claiming it is? It bothers me when people are saying one thing when the reality is another.

For the diversity thing, it's eh. I understand the advantages but having a minority for the sake of having a minority doesn't do it for me. Also, there is a ridiculous amount of self-segregating in the schools as well (at least for undergrad). So, while in theory diversity may have its benefits, how effective is it really? A lot of the changes for this stuff need to come when people are younger if you want true attitude changes/racial integration

Last edited:
Thank you for your detailed response and not being a condescending assh*le about it. Some of the stuff I am aware of, some of them I am not, so I'm glad I could learn something.

To add, personally I'm not against favoring economically disadvantaged students. I believe that could be a real hinderance to succeeding academically in school. Like if you're working full time, but have a lower GPA that's totally fair (this isn't a black and white stance for me, but nitpicking is difficult here for the adcoms. Something about financial support and EC involvement but that's not too important). Here's the thing though. If it truly is for economic status, call it that. Don't call it affirmative action and say it's to help URM. And, if med school admissions is not a meritocracy, why are people/adcoms claiming it is? It bothers me when people are saying one thing when the reality is another.

For the diversity thing, it's eh. I understand the advantages but having a minority for the sake of having a minority doesn't do it for me. Also, there is a ridiculous amount of self-segregating in the schools as well (at least for undergrad). So, while in theory diversity may have its benefits, how effective is it really? A lot of the changes for this stuff need to come when people are younger if you want true attitude changes/racial integration
It's really effective...You're still missing the point though. But great job eliciting more responses than your boy @markcinnn.

Last edited:

For the diversity thing, it's eh. I understand the advantages but having a minority for the sake of having a minority doesn't do it for me. Also, there is a ridiculous amount of self-segregating in the schools as well (at least for undergrad). So, while in theory diversity may have its benefits, how effective is it really?

Your first paragraph leads me to believe you did not read anything I said. So I am not even going to bother to address that further.

Your second paragraph sounds like you do not understand the point of diversity. It is not about having a black student there for the sake of having one which is what I tried to allude to by mentioning social, cognitive, emotional, and moral advantages. To start simple. Do you know that the reason one race tends to think the other race all look alike is simply because they have not been around the other race enough? Young children have the same acuity in recognizing the differences in facial features of all races and ethnicities. As they grow up they tend to be surrounding by people of the same race, neurons are pruned in the visual cortex for resource preservation and over the years they lose their ability to discern facial distinctions in groups other than their own. Eventually you get an adult who thinks all asians/whites/blacks look the same because they actually don't have the perceptive abilities to discern facial features from V1 all the way to frontal cortex. Can you infer how diversity changes this?

Now lets move to a more complex issue. The child that lacked diversity in their experiences grows into an adult that lacks the development of theory of mind for individuals in their out-group. The most pervasive out-group is race. (There is also gender, political leaning, etc. etc.) This adult cannot relate to others different from them for the simple fact that they never had to. This affects patterns of thinking, attitudes, perceptions, judgements, assumptions...which leads to prejudice, misconceptions, lack of empathy. This is the physician that acts differently with a black patient than a white patient. Diversity never forced them to confront the notions of out-group behavior, when it is to confronted it is enforced.

Diversity improves the reasoning and empathy skills of all those who experiences it for individuals in their outgroup. Human development is facilitated by interactions, if you never interact with someone with a different cultural background, you lack the communication skills, the interpersonal skills, the emotional skills to maintain a healthy interactions and relationship with someone of their background. There are many studies on the cognitive changes that take place after we have quality interactions with those different than ourselves. Ex. A study put people on a blue team/ red team. Had them bond with their team one some time and later showed pictures of members of both teams one by one and had individuals answer questions abut them. Universally individuals in the blue team rated individuals in the red team as less intelligent, less likely to trust, less likely to hire for a certain position, less likely to see themselves being friends with, and the list goes on. Ditto red team to blue team. The members of one team never had interactions with members of the other team but yet made judgements on trust, intelligence, friendliness, solely based on the fact that they weren't on their team. Can you infer on how the same occurs with racial groups, religious groups, political groups. Can you infer how exposure to your out group can change these types of prejudices and help society overall?

Reactions: 5 users
It's really effective...You're still missing the point though. But great job eliciting more responses than your boy @markcinnn.

He completely missed the point. Alas I don't have to pretend to be working any further and can now go home, so here ends my responses.

@Danny L If I came off condescending it was certainly not intentional, although I am a little confused as to why you got so upset about it since you wanted to have this discussion in the first place.
You also didn't answer my question about the other factors in the application process and you continue to keep bringing up GPA and MCAT scores despite there being more involved in the selection process. I'm not sure whether or not you followed the link I gave in my response but that table shows that GPA and MCAT aren't even the most important among the list I gave. And I agree with @WhittyPsyche the whole point of diversity is to make healthcare more available to all patients.
I reiterate that despite the percentages listed by both you and WhittyPsyche an applicant would still have to have the other factors in order to be even considered for an interview much less a letter of acceptance.

Btw @Danny L WhittyPsyche already summed up why the numbers in the chart you keep referencing cannot provide the whole picture as it's missing a lot of data that they didn't factor into their percentages so I think you should take a look at their post again.

Your first paragraph leads me to believe you did not read anything I said. So I am not even going to bother to address that further.

Your second paragraph sounds like you do not understand the point of diversity. It is not about having a black student there for the sake of having one which is what I tried to allude to by mentioning social, cognitive, emotional, and moral advantages. To start simple. Do you know that the reason one race tends to think the other race all look alike is simply because they have not been around the other race enough? Young children have the same acuity in recognizing the differences in facial features of all races and ethnicities. As they grow up they tend to be surrounding by people of the same race, neurons are pruned in the visual cortex for resource preservation and over the years they lose their ability to discern facial distinctions in groups other than their own. Eventually you get an adult who thinks all asians/whites/blacks look the same because they actually don't have the perceptive abilities to discern facial features from V1 all the way to frontal cortex. Can you infer how diversity changes this?

Now lets move to a more complex issue. The child that lacked diversity in their experiences grows into an adult that lacks the development of theory of mind for individuals in their out-group. The most pervasive out-group is race. (There is also gender, political leaning, etc. etc.) This adult cannot relate to others different from them for the simple fact that they never had to. This affects patterns of thinking, attitudes, perceptions, judgements, assumptions...which leads to prejudice, misconceptions, lack of empathy. This is the physician that acts differently with a black patient than a white patient. Diversity never forced them to confront the notions of out-group behavior, when it is to confronted it is enforced.

Diversity improves the reasoning and empathy skills of all those who experiences it for individuals in their outgroup. Human development is facilitated by interactions, if you never interact with someone with a different cultural background, you lack the communication skills, the interpersonal skills, the emotional skills to maintain a healthy interactions and relationship with someone of their background. There are many studies on the cognitive changes that take place after we have quality interactions with those different than ourselves. Ex. A study put people on a blue team/ red team. Had them bond with their team one some time and later showed pictures of members of both teams one by one and had individuals answer questions abut them. Universally individuals in the blue team rated individuals in the red team as less intelligent, less likely to trust, less likely to hire for a certain position, less likely to see themselves being friends with, and the list goes on. Ditto red team to blue team. The members of one team never had interactions with members of the other team but yet made judgements on trust, intelligence, friendliness, solely based on the fact that they weren't on their team. Can you infer on how the same occurs with racial groups, religious groups, political groups. Can you infer how exposure to your out group can change these types of prejudices and help society overall?

It's this. I tried my hardest to not chime in. "It is not about having a black student there for the sake of it." I feel like folks throw out "under-represented minority" as code for black and they've stopped taking the time to recognize what they're saying. Why is it that certain ethnicities are disproportionately represented in a particular field? Especially a field like medicine? Once AA trolls start asking themselves this question and truly start examining the education gaps as well as other inequitable social barriers, they'll find a very good answer. It's not like the idea was pulled out of someone's ass.

I personally have my own issues with AA on numerous points but I understand it's value as a bandaid until we can truly start addressing the marginalization in this nation.

And if people still don't understand, well that's just a reflection of their privilege of never having to understand.

1. You are not your numbers. I've seen with my own eyes success stories from ORM candidates with low GPAs/MCAT scores. So please spare me with that narrative.

2. The importance/value of cultural competence is highly under appreciated on sdn. But I am glad that most medical schools have considered this and important factor of admissions.

3. Boring candidates do not get interviews and acceptances. Even with a 4.0 and a 520+. Sorry not sorry.

4. The fact that OP felt the need to post this question reveals that he is not privy to the glaring past of our nation NOR the insidious nuances that shape our current society.

.....But I'm sure that his/her 4.0 and 35+ MCAT score would make it very easy for him to understand why the system is the way that it is because numbers CLEARLY indicate motivation, intelligence and competence.

and MAYBE JUST MAYBE he/she might come up with a better solution than what is in place to provide equity and representation in this land of the free.

If medical school admissions were based solely on compassion, emotional intelligence, empathy, and diverse and disadvantaged life experiences, qualities every competent relatable physician needs to instill patient trust and provide quality patient care to the 99%, I'm not entirely sure most ORM medical applicants would make the cut. Maybe this is why the MCAT changed to include mandatory sociology, psychology, and behavioral competencies.

Unfortunately because URMs are still considered minorities percentage-wise, and even more so when it comes to choosing medicine as a profession, we would still be underrepresented in this hypothetical.

Most medical schools are moving more towards core competencies rather than grades or specific class requirements. Some of these can be filled by autodidacticism or life experience. When taking a patient history, or trying to comfort or inform someone about their medical condition, the GPA and MCAT score mean nothing.

Some people need a slice of humble pie. I'll even bring it to the cookout.

286f508599b82fe2abf3cb97add164f8.jpg

Last edited:
First couple of responses, didn't read them all yet:

You know being a good doctor has nothing to do with learning the material in medical school and in residency.
Wonder how many of your future patients would agree with this contrarian assessment. Many of you said that your college grades and MCAT scores shouldn't matter. If college grades, MCATs, med school performance, and residency all don't matter - than what makes a good doctor? Pigment?
You seem to have a lot of hate in your heart for black people. Is it because you weren't invited to the cookout?
Love your witticism and ability to stay on topic.
Who says the Asian or White rejected in place of a much lower scoring Black applicant wouldn't treat effectively or emphatically? Race has much less to do than economic or geographic preferences when it comes to practice location choices as well. And affirmative action goes well beyond medical school. It's a prime consideration for academic positions for attendings as well. In fact, I've first hand seen a scorned URM residency graduate sue after not being granted an attending position, despite her below-average performance.
Not as good as "golddigger89"
I don't fully get the ins and outs of it as a Canadian looking in, but sheer number of anti URM posts on this forum just in the last month is actually alarming even to an onlooker like myself. Another thing that is very troubling is how anti URM threads really are closeted anti AA students threads - they always seem to go after African American students not other minorities. For URM students out there, I think people are just getting bitter the more time passes and they don't get accepted, don't let anyone take this from you. You have earned it!
Because AA applicants have the most extreme perverse bias in med school admissions. See readily available stats.

I am going to guess you are a pre-med, still not IN yet. Keep your head down and keep working, you are losing "toe-to-toe" with tens of thousands of white, asian, hispanic, black, native american, middle eastern, and every other demographic of people getting into medical school.

I purposely took much more than I gave. I am absolutely not against URMs. I am simply against the defense of affirmative action for them.

On a new note, I'm reminded of a recent NYT op-ed about research showing vastly different outcomes within different hospitals "Go to the wrong hospital and you're three times more likely to die". In the US, medicine is the only highly-specialized highly-paid field where there is little meritocracy and efficiency beyond the initial grad (med) school admissions process (which has been corrupted by affirmative action). Once you get into a US allo school, there is very little barring you from eventually practicing. And your compensation is much more tied to geography and work-hours than talent or knowledge. It is my belief that that super-subpar applicants, of which affirmative action recipients are the largest group, partially contribute to the bifurcated nature of medical service quality.

Last edited:
I am absolutely not against URMs. I am simply against the defense of affirmative action for them.

You do realize this is a URM subforum, so it might be nice to address the people you're not against as "you" instead of "them." Just a thought.

You do realize this is a URM subforum, so it might be nice to address the people you're not against as "you" instead of "them." Just a thought.
OK. What perfunctory offense did you muster up against the word "them"? Using "they" would be incorrect and "you" is singular. Did you read the common word "them" in a two century old slavery manuscript? Do you have anything to say on-topic without manufacturing outrage at a common noun?

Edit: I wonder if the more recent Chinese slaves working on American railroads or East Indian slaves working in South Africa take the same offense at this seemingly innocuous, but apparently rude, word. "Them."

@ markcinnn do you have any sources on this "affirmative action"? When I look at the % of black people at any of the medical schools I am interested in the highest I have seen for African Americans was 9%. So I'm not seeing a lot of "affirmative action ".

Reactions: 3 users
:beat:

These constant anti-AA/anti-URM threads are getting tiresome. If you're so worried about something you can't change that gives a slight advantage to a minuscule amount of minority applicants:

You-Should-Be-Studying.jpg

Last edited:
@ markcinnn do you have any sources on this "affirmative action"? When I look at the % of black people at any of the medical schools I am interested in the highest I have seen for African Americans was 9%. So I'm not seeing a lot of "affirmative action ".

Do you actually want to lower the admission barriers for Blacks more so than current (GPA 3.20-3.39 with MCAT 24-26 (new test equivalent) likely admissible)? What % would be favorable to you and what minimum GPA/MCAT combo for a higher than 50% admission statistic according to AMCAS? How about 15% and 2.5/23?
:beat:

These anti-AA/anti-URM threads year in and year out are getting freaking old. Seriously, if you're so worried about something you can't change that gives a slight advantage over a minuscule amount of minorities applying to medical school:
Fantastic logic. Let's not discuss anything unless we become SCOTUS judges.

I take issue with the wording "slight advantage." And obviously it will change eventually if and when it gains considerable public awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.