SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

now's the time of your life when you...whine!?!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by fishtolive, Jun 27, 2001.

1. fishtolive

fishtolive Senior Member 7+ Year Member

oooooo...i can hear the jeers now. oh well, it'll do you some good!

okay, i havent been to this forum in a few days but here's what's been getting me lately...i know we are supposed to be anal premeds but having never felt the pressures of being "perfect" or tailoring my life to get "accepted" to med school, i kinda can't relate...now i'm as determined and driven as the next, sometimes i burn the candle at both ends, but really...is this anyway to live your young lives? i know we're all nervous about these apps going out but c'mon, how many posts can we read about AMCAS problem # 20098? again, it's natural to need a sense that people around you feel your pain, but when's the last time a really important post went up here with a non AMCAS rant? i personally never stress this much about things and always come out a better man for it...and despite what you may think, this process does not build character...having a real life that is besides a stupid glitch-ridden app builds character...

What do I need to do to get into med school...well, according to this place, it's to not do anything that involves your interests...become a cookie-cutter with your little less-than-heartfelt experience at the local ER...do some research that "looks good" but bores you to death...and get that same old robotic syndrome about 60% of the premeds have...for all of you who have received this response, ignore it and trust in yourself...i have no desire to be a cookie cutter, even though i have volunteered, assisted surgeries, and have 3.8+ grades throughout college...the difference? i can enjoy my achievements and experiencesd because they're MINE and not my resume's...when i walk through the door for my inerview i want to talk about where i've bben, fish i've caught, what kind of routine i use in the weight room, and not about my most intellectually fulfilling moment...what kind of doctor are you if you can't relate to a patient...a being who has a story, a life, and is HUMAN...how can i relate to that which i am not?

so, remember, it's one thing to keep up your grades and become joe average med applicant...but it is entirely another thing to look at yourself everyday in the mirror and say, I have a gret life, i'm truly blessed, i am beyond pettiness. it may not show on paper, but personality is at the core of being a physician, and sadly, is not something everyone can, or will learn. (haven't we all been to that doctor who treated us like meat and was eerily robotic?)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2001
    I agree. Sometimes it seems that some individuals just look to get into medical school, yet can't see the forest for the trees. There's a whole world out there, and you should at least live it before you become that "robot" in the aforementioned post. Indeed, the AMCAS application is amazingly inept, but you will encounter instances like this your entire life - you can't threaten a lawsuit every time something doesn't work out the way it's supposed to. It's your dream to be a doctor - who said it was going to be easy?

Andrew

4. Nova

Nova Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Virginia
    This reminds me of some of those "how to get into medschool" books I've read. It amazes me (and I get a laugh out of it), that these authors can say on page 2 "med schools want diverse individuals, not science majors with perfect grades" and then on page 14 say "When asked about the last book you read, select a text relating to the medical field, and talk about the particular medical facets that impressed you most."

The hell I will, unless it happens to be true (I loved "White Coat", for instance). Knowing my reading habits, the last book I will have read will probably still be in my purse so I have something to read when there's no one around to talk to. I'm voracious! I'll be quite happy to say "I was re-reading Blue Adept" or "Ender's Game, ever read it?" Bedamned if I'll make up something that sounds good.

I figure, if I'm right for med school they're going to want me for who I am, including the odd bits. And how can they tell who I am if I spend my entire application period fibbing? Pshaw, I like me and I think I'll make a fine doctor!

Nova

5. drintraining

drintraining Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2001
    FishFish if you aren't whining in your post then I don't know what it is. How about some cheese with your WINE.........

6. fishtolive

yet another example of what i'm talking about...your name includes DR...hmm, how original and compelling you must be...i am whining though u r correct...hey, i'm whining about whining and your whining about me whining about whining...good job doc in training...it works on so many levels.
    huh, what sort of training do you have, watching trauma or is it er?

7. fishtolive

chirp, chirp, chirp...man this is funny.

8. drintraining

drintraining Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Hey fish why don't you do the medical profession a favor and apply to nursing school. Lord knows it will save you a lot of time and money and you'll probably end up being one in the end-if you're lucky. Take the easy way out that way no one else has to hear it from you (I feel sorry for your friends, oh you probably don't have any, my bad). Maybe, just maybe I'll even let you sweep the floors of my medical practive and if you're good let you take out the trash. So here's the take home message: shut your hole and quit blowing sunshine up everyone's anal orifice!

9. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2001
    drintraining? God help us. :rolleyes:

10. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator 10+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Michigan
    drintraining must be having a bad day, huh?!

11. BCgirl

BCgirl Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Canada
    Dr. in training:

A little arrogant, aren't we? Did you just stop in from the Princeton Review's site? :rolleyes:

12. pete.

pete. Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2001
    if monster2 doesn't show up on this string, I'd say he's gone for good! :cool:

13. yigit

yigit Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 31, 2001
    all around
    FishtOlive will lead us to victory!!!
    I agree 100%.

I'm just hoping that in a class of 160 I can find two or three real human beings.

ps- One of my interviews at UNC was a half hour conversation regarding the virtues of flyfishing.

:) :oops: ;) :mad: :D

14. TwoSteveSquared

TwoSteveSquared Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Up till a few weeks ago, I was very proud to be the anti-premed pre-med. Never really stressed about much. Then I started reading these posts, and I can't sleep. The forum is pretty helpful, but, funny, I didn't realize I needed the help till I started reading. Now I need a psychiatrist. Whatever. My advice to everyone, and myself. Quit bitchin, fill out your ****ing apps, and drink a couple beers. The hard work's done, put it on paper, and if you did a good job over the past few years, you'll get in.

---Don't worry, be happy.

15. EricCSU

EricCSU Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Fort Collins, CO
    Last time I checked, nursing was a medical profession.

Fish: did you find it odd that when you half-sarcastically challenged his "training" he replied like a 10 year-old instead of actually listing what that training was. I don't know, if it was me, I'd say that I have years of experience with Dr. Green, Dr. Benton, Dr. Carter, and of course, Dr. Maluchi.

Also, love the quote. Here's one of my favorites: "Nudie magazine day, nudie magazine day!"

Eric

16. sbrandon

sbrandon Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Boston
    2steve^2 - Good advice! It's amazing how many people procrasinate on their apps (including myself :) )- it won't help - trust me. Just get it done and occasionally think about interviews.

yigit - Someone once told me this, and I've found it to be true: "there is a BIG difference between the typical pre-med and the typical med-student." You shouldn't have trouble finding "real" people in med school. At least from my experience!

If you can't get into med school being yourself - then who are you going to pretend to be when you are treating patients?! Yikes. For less whining I'd suggest spending more time in the everyone, lounge, and allopathic forums.

17. fishtolive

well--i am not alone in this after all...hey dr in training i spent the weekend with my friends, girlfriend of 5 years, and considering my #1 choice has already more or less told me that they'd accept me (in not so many words) i guess nursing is out...also, just who the hell do you think you are discounting the most vital people in the medical profession...do you know what happens when nurses are not in a hospital (maybe you should read the paper for a little education on hat i mean)...you'll be the typical arrogant doc i assumed of many (but not most) sdn posters who talks down to anyone without an MD and feels it necessary to put down someone for "sweeping my floors"...you've got a lot of maturing to do, you should learn the value of hard work, and you've got little as far as a new wave of doctor sentiment to offer the profession...but, seems like you're the minority bud (and by the way, i won't even start shooting off my numbers, experiences, and other attibutes to make an example out of you...you've done it yourself doc...ooo feels good to be called doc doesn,t it big guy...thank good the internet is anonymous and peons like you can rant at the big dogs without getting a knuckle sandwich.