NP Student Tells It Like It Is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
"Exactly as the title says, I am enrolled at a top 10 brick and mortar nursing school to become an Adult/Gerontology acute care nurse practitioner. I have been a registered nurse in the CTICU and ED for 7 years prior to pursuing my NP. I purposefully applied to a top-10 brick and mortar program since I didn't want to go to a diploma mill online program that everyone I know is doing (The barrier to entry for NP these days is non-existent. There are hundreds of online NP programs across the country that just require your e-mail and an application fee.) and wanted the best possible education I could get. After a year and a half in the program, I feel completely and utterly unprepared. NP education and clinical time is not adequate to generate competent clinicians. While we do have lectures from leaders in various fields, there is a huge focus on writing research papers, alternative treatments, and nursing theory. I was originally going to apply to PA school, but my NP program is heavily discounted since I work at the academic hospital linked to my university.

Even more frustrating are my classmates and others I interact with who are pushing for complete autonomy for nurse practitioners, and the cringeworthy "heart of a nurse, brain of a doctor" BS. The facts are clear, if you want to independently practice as a physician, go to medical school and become a physician. I came to NP school to gain a broader understanding of the pathophysiology underlying the disease and be able to adequately treat patients, but I am not there or even close. Furthermore, clinical hour requirements are less than PA's who are educated in the medical model, and oftentimes, I am embarrassed by my lack of knowledge when compared with the residents that I round with. I want to be competent, and not endanger my patients.In my free time, I try to study outside of my schoolwork as much as possible. I look up everything I don't know and have been using additional resources such as Onlinemeded, Uptodate, and step up 2 medicine for IM. My eventual end-goal is to become a specialty ACNP and apply for a year-long hospital residency/fellowship if I can find one but I am looking for any additional resources or advice on how I can improve as a clinician."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Wow very telling...where did you find that drusso?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
but i agree. i hate going to or taking my kids to see NPs/PAs.

Wow very telling...where did you find that drusso?

From a pediatrician in Texas. It's source material for a health policy project we're working on related to scope of practice, Medicaid expansion, & site neutral payment.

Pediatricians are being pushed out of hospital systems by NP's especially in the outpatient setting. Hospitals are opening/expanding in-house NP programs (Interestingly, most RN programs have been in hospitals, for-profit vo-tech schools, and community colleges not 4-year universities). Kids are being mis-diagnosed and dying. Still, left-leaning reformers keep pushing NP expansion as a solution to "get kids covered" in a universal health care scheme. Very little attention is being paid to the quality of the product being produced. And, NP lobbying groups are supporting Democrats over Republicans by 8:1!

I see similarities in pain with CRNA's and NP's.

Last edited:
Replacing doctors with mid levels is the wet dream of hospital administrators. Reality and facts be damned. Keep a few docs around to advertise services and underwrite all the risks.

Any one that tries to point out that this is ridiculous is shouted down or removed. This game is rigged and not for docs.

Green Valley doctor: I was fired over op-ed about nurse practitioners

I'm sure you're aware of this case drusso but figured I'd post for others to see.

Yes, absolutely. Again, seeing similar developments in our specialty...Health system MD-Med Exec Committee members need to promote policies that promote patient safety and proper supervision of NP's in HOPD-settings and hospital clinics.

Of course, this is true for PA's too, but with PA's there is more alignment within the care team because MD/DO's and PA's are under the same licensing board. NP lobby has been very deliberate about making sure that that they are not "under the thumb" of a doctor. According to the pediatrician I'm working with, it can be very difficult for a health system employed MD to hold a NP accountable even if the NP reports to him or her within the organization. The NP's in some organizations have their own supervision structure apart from the Medical Staff.

“Physicians must continue to stand up for patient safety and the highest standard of medical care for all,” Bernard writes. “Unfortunately, watching our colleagues face job loss, social isolation, and public exposure for speaking out against the trend of allowing lesser quality care in exchange for a higher profit margin will make that a difficult job.”

From a pediatrician in Texas. It's source material for a health policy project we're working on related to scope of practice, Medicaid expansion, & site neutral payment.

It was a thread on Reddit, r/medicine subreddit