NP vs. Doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katetlo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about switching to a career in healthcare and was originally thinking PT, then nursing, then doc but I went to Ohio State today to talk with a counselor and she recommended a three year Masters in nursing for non-nurses. A year of preques and three years of school full time sounds a lot better than fours years of medical school plus three years residency. It seems like the NPs are getting more and more responsibility and often doing things doctors do. Does anyone have an perspective on doing the NP route rather than the full flege doc route. I'm single but do want to get married and have kids. I'm thinking NP would provide more of a balance for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently dropped out of the pre-med route even though I was accepted to NU.

I do have a family and IMO if you just want to get into the medical field to work with, help, and treat ppl then nursing is definitely the way to go if you have a family or want to get one.

I think you'll be happier in the end.

agent - Thanks... I read the Under M1 Club posts. You are/were in there a lot, right? I think so too. Being a doc would be cool and a great accomplishment but spending time with a fabulous family would be a priority.

Yeah I started the Under M1 Club.

Anyway, yeah my kids love me to death and even though the prestige of the NW degree and being a doc would be super, in a way I feel like I'd be leaving the family behind.

My kids wouldn't understand why their daddy can't play with them and they love me so much that it would break my heart.