NPR report on med school debt today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ams83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There'll be a report on the NPR show All Things Considered later today on medical school debt for anyone concerned about this (which I'm assuming is quite a few of ya'll). I like the show and think they have really thorough reporting so it should be good IMO.

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome. Thanks for the post, love NPR.

Medical school debt? Is there such a thing?

I paid mine in full up front with one of these bad boys:
million-dollar-bill.jpg

I told them to keep the change. That was at my interview.

Bump to keep this near the top due to importance.

Members don't see this ad :)
any online link/cast?

There isn't any link now because the show hasn't aired yet but they usually put up links online at npr.org for their reports after the show has aired. I don't know what time the report is going to come up either, so have to listen to the whole show (I do that anyway so it's not a big deal for me).

And Trexate, can I borrow a million or two from you if you have some just laying around?

There isn't any link now because the show hasn't aired yet but they usually put up links online at npr.org for their reports after the show has aired. I don't know what time the report is going to come up either, so have to listen to the whole show (I do that anyway so it's not a big deal for me).

And Trexate, can I borrow a million or two from you if you have some just laying around?

NP.

Just print that pic out and paste both sides together. If necessary, photocopy.

NP.

Just print that pic out and paste both sides together. If necessary, photocopy.

Nice! And people are worrying about medical school debt when the solution is right under their nose...tsk tsk tsk

lol

The story is up on the NPR's website.

It was a lot shorter than I was hoping, but that's usually the nature of All Things Considered.

The lead in the story went to BU instead of her state school, and is bummed about the debt... hmmm. Overall it was a disappointing story, mostly the student's mom complaining about the 8.5% rate on fed loans and grad plus and how the federal government plans to do nothing about it.

I listened to the first 10 seconds of it.

Then I realized that it's not going to help me in any way shape or form ;p

I found the comments to be amusing. I especially liked this one:

Irene Jones (ijo) wrote:
Maybe we're spending too much to educate doctors. Maybe our collective funds would be better spent on educating Registered Nurses. Maybe patients would be far more compliant if they could sit and talk, at length, with a woman who smiles, is concerned about the patient, and willing to listen, make constuctive suggestions for lifestyle changes, and who appears actually happy to see the patient. Maybe too many people avoid going to the doctor and then getting treatment until it's too late because doctors are cold, condescending, indifferent, rushed, and too busy thinking about how many tests they can order to cover their backsides in case of a lawsuit, and how quickly they can call in the next patient. What's up with that placebo effect? Maybe the tests and pills and surgery aren't the best healthcare. Maybe just caring. Maybe we SHOULD siphon off some doctors and send them into nursing.
March 11, 2010 11:05:14 AM PST

Doctors are villians and nurses are saints...:(

Rosen says there is no reason the government can't simply cut the interest rates on graduate and professional student loans in half and give families a break. Just like the Federal Reserve stepped in and gave big banks a break, Rosen says the U.S. Education Department can do the same.

+pity+