NPTE JAN 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sounds like a plan.. I am interested in studying too.. Could we plan our calender with weekly goals and get started.. I plan on taking in earlier in 2014 as well.

Members don't see this ad.

pleople who already cleared are you planning sell any of your material to the current students here.. please post ads. I needed a blue book if anyone has to spare

For those of you who passed, how did you feel you did before you found out? You thought you failed for sure? 50/50? Or was for sure you passed?

I haven't looked at my status yet because I fear I really failed. This is my second time taking it, and it has drained the life out of me. The last time I took it I thought 99% I passed because I thought it was soooo easy! I made a 594 last time. This time (Jan 29th) i thought it was pretty hard, so that is not a good feeling knowing I most likely made less than a 594.

By not looking I can still enjoy my days. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I left the test feeling the exact same way I left every test I ever took in PT school which was "Well... that could honestly go either way." I tried to focus on all of the questions I *did* know and tried not to get upset about what I did not know. I definitely left feeling like it was the hardest test I had ever taken, but I didn't feel quite as defeated as I thought I would. I imagined myself crying in bed all day, which I didn't do... But, I didn't feel overly confident either.

Good luck, Stiga!

Hello Everyone
I m new to this forum and recently appeared in Jan for NPTE but didn't achieved my goal. I m interested in serious study partner for April attempt.
Let me know if anybody is interested as i missed NPTE hardly by 1 or 2 questions.
wanna be Licensed PT in April

Hi Priority NPTE,
All those planning for April can work together and help each other. Lets start!
I am seriously planning to get done and be licensed by April. This NPTE had already hampered my life a lot and now NO MORE.

Hi Priority NPTE,
All those planning for April can work together and help each other. Lets start!
I am seriously planning to get done and be licensed by April. This NPTE had already hampered my life a lot and now NO MORE.
There is a NPTE April 2014 thread, please post on there. Good luck to us!

I left the test feeling the exact same way I left every test I ever took in PT school which was "Well... that could honestly go either way." I tried to focus on all of the questions I *did* know and tried not to get upset about what I did not know. I definitely left feeling like it was the hardest test I had ever taken, but I didn't feel quite as defeated as I thought I would. I imagined myself crying in bed all day, which I didn't do... But, I didn't feel overly confident either.

Good luck, Stiga!
Hey, i decided to get drunk drink a few beers to calm my nerves and then I looked at my score....passed! I can't believe it. Last time I thought it was so easy and I failed (594 score). This time I thought it was hard and I passed. I guess because I reasoned everything out...who knows. I passed, also thanks for everything i read on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats everybody! It will depend on your states as to how long it takes for them to actually process your license. If you live in Illinois, don't expect it to be soon. Illinois processes all types of licenses(security guard, nurse, pharm tech, hair dresser, etc.) through the same office.
i have applied for illinois,my status says my scores have been sent to the state board, it doesnt say ipassed orfailed,but on feb12th i will get to know my marks right?

Last edited:
can anybody help me in using this forum
I want to appear for April and want to post my threads but not sure where as i m not able to find any April 2014

I guess it is under the thread name" NPTE April"

Hi everyone im taking the NPTE in april done studying on all the foundations(musculo, cardiopulm and neuro ortho ddx etc ). Nonetheless i will still do some consistent reviewing until that day arrives. I feel highly motivated to ace this exam considering all of my friends passed. Anyone who needs some motivational support jump right in. WE CAN DO THIS!:)

So, I found out shortly after I posted about my success that my best friend (whom we studied together night and day all 6 weeks) did not pass. In the midst of my sheer excitement and relief, my heart is aching for my friend. I honestly cannot believe my friend did not pass especially when my friend's practice test scores were all higher than mine (I never got over a 69% on the practice tests) and anytime we played "ask each other random questions" my friend knew all the answers and I would never know the answer to anything. I can only imagine that nerves got the better of my friend on test day, because it certainly wasn't lack of preparing and we both studied the exact same way.

Any suggestions on how to be as supportive as possible to my friend during this time? This is another cut to my friend, as my friend was actually in the class above me and then failed a course, had to wait a year and then joined my class. I can only imagine the doubt and disappointment. To make mattes worse, my friend's family and SO seem to be completely detatched and aren't offering any type of consoling or support, so I sent flowers today. It just stinks, but I know my friend can get through it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed this last week as well. I too also have a good friend who did not pass. I wrote her and ensured her that everything would be okay and that LIFE will go on. There will be other opportunities for her to harness success and a single fail on a single attempt in no way defines your ability to practice as a physical therapist. Markel, there is really nothing you can do but be empathetic as possible. Congrats to all who studied diligently.

My recommendations:
-Take the NPTE seriously
-Get organized
-Understand that studying and academic review is YOUR JOB for 4-8 weeks, plan accordingly
-PEAT is a "tool", learn how to use it.
-Take as many practice tests as possible, whether Ther-Ed, Scorebuilder's/online advantage etc.
-Take breaks, breathe, be confident in your ability
- Don't let the ridiculous bureaucratic process of the FSBPT and Prometric get to you. ITS ONLY A TEST.

First of all congratulations to you for your success such a huge weight off your shoulders now. And as for your friend tell him/her that its okay to feel that way he/she must have been under some great deal of pressure and anxiety during the day of the exams. If your asking me how you can help your friend, just be there and lend an ear if you have the time, nonetheless the most powerful of all help is PRAYER which will definitely move ways. I have been a witness to this since all my friends who prayed consistently during their review passed. Apart from prayers and offering motivational support, there are other proactive means to be able to help like guiding your friend during on his/her next attempt. Besides you have already helped by sending flowers and writing this post. Tell your friend that it is when you fall that you learn to pick yourself back up.

Thanks I8Medicare (btw- username for the win!) and NPTESUCCESS2014.... Yeah, there is no magical thing I can do for my friend. I just feel really terrible. And, of course, to add more salt to the wound my friend was offered a job (one that has been in production for about 4 months) on Tuesday and had to call and let the employer know the bad news. (And of course, the employer doesn't know if they will be able to wait.) Ugh. Meanwhile, for me, things have been falling into place perfectly (praise God!! It was LOTS of prayers that got me through everything!!!) which I'm sure is hard for my friend to deal with... But, I just keep trying to be supportive as much as I can and even said I would be willing to go over things to help the studying process.

Does anyone have any suggestions of additional practice tests or studying materials? We split a PEAT, so that's out and we both took the TherapyEd course, so we've taken those 3 practice tests as well... What other companies are good to check into for studying?

Thanks again, all! And congrats to us that made it through the fire!!

:clap::highfive::clap:

Sorry for posting late but the 'me' has passed!!
Yayayayyay!!!

Markel, when they say that PASSED it only means score is more than 600. FSBPT sends score to your STATE & they provide the license. So FSBPT doesn't have the right to say you're licensed. But be rest assured. It's only a matter of time!
My tutor explained me all this. I think every penny was worth it. I asked her all questions& I'm sure she was like :yeahright: but when I passed I was like :highfive:

Reactions: 1 user
:clap::highfive::clap:

Sorry for posting late but the 'me' has passed!!
Yayayayyay!!!

Markel, when they say that PASSED it only means score is more than 600. FSBPT sends score to your STATE & they provide the license. So FSBPT doesn't have the right to say you're licensed. But be rest assured. It's only a matter of time!
My tutor explained me all this. I think every penny was worth it. I asked her all questions& I'm sure she was like :yeahright: but when I passed I was like :highfive:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :) Thanks Manan! I got it all figured out and as of yesterday I had my license number! Applied for my NPI today and start work on Monday!

Just got a letter from the state rejecting my application (I of course knew I didn't pass already) and it gave me my score. 597. That literally means I missed by 1 question. Definitely discouraging, but at the same time, it gives me hope that I will pass in April. 1 dang question.

:(

Just got a letter from the state rejecting my application (I of course knew I didn't pass already) and it gave me my score. 597. That literally means I missed by 1 question. Definitely discouraging, but at the same time, it gives me hope that I will pass in April. 1 dang question.

That sucks so much :( Ugh, well then you know for sure you'll be able to do it in April!! You've got this! This is just a dumb set back!

I know I wrote this many times on the forum, but i made a 594 last time and I thought it was so easy. This time I thought the test was hard and I was sure I failed and made a worse score this time. Lo and behold I passed this time! So during the April Exam and when you feel like it's harder than the last time, just be confident and you'll be fine!

I know its very discouraging as i got 583 and i m thinking if i would have marked 1 or 2 questions right from Intervention or Non -System domain then might i would have passed too.

Unfortunately passing the NPTE isn't a matter of clicking 1 or 2 questions and BOOM you pass. The scores are weighted. My advice is to buy your score report, evaluate where you did poor and focus on improving that section. REMEMBER the majority of the test is ortho then neuro then cardio, study with that in mind. Good luck!

I understand the scores are weighted, but getting that close to
Unfortunately passing the NPTE isn't a matter of clicking 1 or 2 questions and BOOM you pass. The scores are weighted. My advice is to buy your score report, evaluate where you did poor and focus on improving that section. REMEMBER the majority of the test is ortho then neuro then cardio, study with that in mind. Good luck!

I understand that the test is weighted, but if a 597 (when 600 is passing) doesn't mean I was within a whisker of passing, what does it mean? I've never truly understood their formula. I must have been very close, whether it was 1 or 2 questions.

I understand the scores are weighted, but getting that close to

I understand that the test is weighted, but if a 597 (when 600 is passing) doesn't mean I was within a whisker of passing, what does it mean? I've never truly understood their formula. I must have been very close, whether it was 1 or 2 questions.
I don't know exactly how they grade the test but I'm sure it's not a matter of if I would have clicked 1 or 2 questions because each section is worth a different percentage. Listen I know the feeling. I scored a 598 the first time and I was devastated. But you have to put this behind you and realize that scoring so close is a good thing and chances are you will only need one more crack at it :). Here's what helped me:

A. BUY THE SCORE REPORT!! This helped me to evaluate where I came up short
B. Make sure you know your basic anatomy derm, myotomes, DTR's, muscle actions, innervations, so on and so on
C. Make a study schedule, mine was 2-3 hrs uninterrupted with a 15 min break 6 days per week. A study partner can be helpful as well.
D. The test date will be here before you know but try and do other things not relating to the test and if people ask be honest you'll be surprised how much your fam and friends believe in you!

Good luck

A. BUY THE SCORE REPORT!! This helped me to evaluate where I came up short
B. Make sure you know your basic anatomy derm, myotomes, DTR's, muscle actions, innervations, so on and so on
C. Make a study schedule, mine was 2-3 hrs uninterrupted with a 15 min break 6 days per week. A study partner can be helpful as well.
D. The test date will be here before you know but try and do other things not relating to the test and if people ask be honest you'll be surprised how much your fam and friends believe in you!

Good luck

That is probably the thing I struggled the most with, sadly... I didn't take the time to remember major nerves and their supplies and so I really had to sit and think about those questions... I also think it's worth making sure you know a lot about gait and what muscles are active at which parts of the gait cycle and what causes particular gait deviations.

Just got my score report. 731/800. I'm not bragging. I am NOT a test taker, trust me. I finished about middle of my class in DPT school. This test is ALL ABOUT PREPARATION. I know people who were "brilliant" that still didn't clear the exam. Read my post above. Academic review in the big 3 content areas is crucial. Review, practice test, review, practice test and repeat like 7-8 more times and you should be fine. If you're like me you won't be satisfied with just one set of review materials, i.e. Therapy Ed vs. Score builders. I recommend using both if you have the $$$ flow. This is crazy, I know but I actually bought the Scorebuilders flashcards, review book with 3 exams and then 2 additional online advantage exams along with attending the prep review course. I also bought the new Therapy Ed book with 3 exams. In my opinion, they BOTH have their strengths and weaknesses. I also took both PEATs. So, basically I took 10 practice tests before the big one. I highly recommend that candidates do the same.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my score report. 731/800. I'm not bragging. I am NOT a test taker, trust me. I finished about middle of my class in DPT school. This test is ALL ABOUT PREPARATION. I know people who were "brilliant" that still didn't clear the exam. Read my post above. Academic review in the big 3 content areas is crucial. Review, practice test, review, practice test and repeat like 7-8 more times and you should be fine. If you're like me you won't be satisfied with just one set of review materials, i.e. Therapy Ed vs. Score builders. I recommend using both if you have the $$$ flow. This is crazy, I know but I actually bought the Scorebuilders flashcards, review book with 3 exams and then 2 additional online advantage exams along with attending the prep review course. I also bought the new Therapy Ed book with 3 exams. In my opinion, they BOTH have their strengths and weaknesses. I also took both PEATs. So, basically I took 10 practice tests before the big one. I highly recommend that candidates do the same.

Congrats!
Thanks for sharing your experience. Motivated me as I am preparing for next NPTE.

I got my score report n I scored 623.. I absolutely agree with Ih8medicare.. Practice test- review both wrong n correct answer- practice test. Also I would like to add that the day before the test relax n calm yourself, get GOODNIGHT SLEEP.. Be CALM n RELAXED on and during the test.. it is what helped me...Do not freak out.. If you unable to answer or remember anything on a ques.. Also don't waste too much time on it.. Mark n come back to that ques later..!! But be CALM..!! Work hard... The results are worth a few sacrifices..!! Best of luck to future NPTE takers..!!

Wow! 605, living on the edge. But hey, as long as you pass the board believes in you and you should as well :)
I've always been an average standardized test taker and didn't score any higher than a 75% on any of my practice tests, so I figured I'd be close. I'm not really worried about it... I had a job lined up from before graduation and started working this week and guess what, I know what to do with patients! :p

I've always been an average standardized test taker and didn't score any higher than a 75% on any of my practice tests, so I figured I'd be close. I'm not really worried about it... I had a job lined up from before graduation and started working this week and guess what, I know what to do with patients! :p
its not average...as long as you hold the license you are eligible...that's why fsbpt have set score...it is not about how much you score, it is achieve the passing score...whether you get 600, 601 or 800...u will be working as licensed PT

its not average...as long as you hold the license you are eligible...that's why fsbpt have set score...it is not about how much you score, it is achieve the passing score...whether you get 600, 601 or 800...u will be working as licensed PT

Exactly! And I have officially finished my first week as a licensed PT, so yay! :)

Wait til that first full paycheck, it's going to feel even better. Yay yay$$.

I know! Especially because my last job paid almost half of what I'll be making now! Then, it will be sad when the student loans start rolling in.

@markelmarcel: I don't mean to hijack the thread, but was it easy for you and your classmates to get job offers? Any saturation in your area? BTW, how large is your class, 30, 60, 80 folks? Thanks for any info.

@markelmarcel: I don't mean to hijack the thread, but was it easy for you and your classmates to get job offers? Any saturation in your area? BTW, how large is your class, 30, 60, 80 folks? Thanks for any info.
No problem- My class size was 35- I think this year's incoming class was about 40. I'm not sure what the ratio is of people who have jobs in my class... I know of 5 people who were offered positions, but that doesn't mean there aren't more and I know some people were moving away/out of state. I wouldn't say that Pittsburgh is saturated, but there weren't many (10-15, I'd guess) jobs I was aware of when applying... It just so happened that one of my clinical placements ended up hiring me. I wasn't even planning on job searching until January and ended up with a job offer on graduation day. That being said, a number of my classmates have gone on multiple interviews since graduating (my job search was just over!).

So since I found out I passed last week I've been lazy and haven't done anything. The FSBPT just gives me a score report. How do I get my license (New York)?

That is probably the thing I struggled the most with, sadly... I didn't take the time to remember major nerves and their supplies and so I really had to sit and think about those questions... I also think it's worth making sure you know a lot about gait and what muscles are active at which parts of the gait cycle and what causes particular gait deviations.
hi. did u study giles practice test?

r u going to sell your review book with 3 exams scorebuilders? how much.

So since I found out I passed last week I've been lazy and haven't done anything. The FSBPT just gives me a score report. How do I get my license (New York)?
I'm in. Miami so I'm doing the same but I applied for a Texas license to begin travel therapy. You should have your license at least by the end of this week. I know because I went to school in NY and it took my classmates about a week to get their license. Good luck!

I got a certificate on Friday and my actual license on Saturday (yesterday), although I'm in PA. I was able to look up my license number online through the state's website.

Thanks - I found my license # on the New York website. I guess I should expect an actual paper certificate in the mail as well?

Thanks - I found my license # on the New York website. I guess I should expect an actual paper certificate in the mail as well?
Yep, it should come relatively soon! Mine took 10 days from the day my license # was posted on my state site until I had the actual paper in my hand.