NPTE - January 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheIron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you guys feeling? I’m sure we all killed it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To quote one of my classmates, I felt like I was getting kicked in the nuts for 4 hours straight.

Reactions: 3 users
Haha! Yeah... no it was brutal. I went through different stages through the exam of whether I would pass it or not. I was already planning in my head what I would focus on more next time I take it HAHA. Seriously though... It was harder than I expected. I took 3 TherapyEd tests, then the 2 PEAT tests and went into it thinking it wasn't going to be that bad. So hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know what to feel really. Mixed emotions and i walked out of there feeling or rather knowing i failed. Wanted to cry so bad. It was so confusing how they ask questions.

Super tough exam, lots of obscure questions. I've already counted how many I missed and it feels like a bunch

I'm sure this is the knee jerk reaction to have so hopefully we're all in the clear!

Definitely counted at least 20 I know for fact I missed haha

I'm glad I'm not the only one! As I was going through it, I was like "crap... I know it's between this and this! I should've spent much more time memorizing this topic, etc." nonstop. Does anyone know when we find out? (also, where are y'all from?)

Yeah no that was god awful and everyone in my class is in agreement. I'm just mad because I feel like it was a TERRIBLE test to demonstrate my prowess of 3 hard years of schooling. That test did not seem very "physical therapy"-y to me if that makes sense. It focused on obscure random things. And when it the question topic did focus on physical therapy type concepts, it wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with a hallmark sign or ANYTHING to do with sound clinical decision-making. It would be one thing if they had written a truly challenging exam that focused on important concepts and nuggets of PT information. I feel like a drunk person who was not a PT was explained a very ****ty version of what PT's do and should know and then wrote it.

Sorry, I'm pretty bitter right now if you can't tell haha.

I believe according to past years we find out anywhere starting around 5 PM on Tuesday through Wednesday night depending on the state jurisdiction. I'm hailing from MA!

Yeah no that was god awful and everyone in my class is in agreement. I'm just mad because I feel like it was a TERRIBLE test to demonstrate my prowess of 3 hard years of schooling. That test did not seem very "physical therapy"-y to me if that makes sense. It focused on obscure random things. And when it the question topic did focus on physical therapy type concepts, it wouldn't have ANYTHING to do with a hallmark sign or ANYTHING to do with sound clinical decision-making. It would be one thing if they had written a truly challenging exam that focused on important concepts and nuggets of PT information. I feel like a drunk person who was not a PT was explained a very ****ty version of what PT's do and should know and then wrote it.

Sorry, I'm pretty bitter right now if you can't tell haha.

I believe according to past years we find out anywhere starting around 5 PM on Tuesday through Wednesday night depending on the state jurisdiction. I'm hailing from MA!
No no - I completely agree. Some of the information was very technical for no reason at all. Yeah, some questions did challenge our critical thinking with therex and exam/eval. Some questions felt like they were just thrown in there to see if you read that specific paragraph of a book and remembered that specific detail to be able to then choose it out of 4 questions that had the same type of answer, just switched around. Seems to me like it was more of a test to challenge your test-taking skills 60% of the time and PT content 40% of the time.

Heck, I'm bitter too! Haha. I'm just terrified - I have a job lined up, working under a temp license, and will have to have everything on hold for 3 months if I don't pass.

From Texas over here!

Couldn't agree more with the last two comments!! I left thinking how does any of this actually apply to PT? Much less what PT actually does any of these things. I think that's what is so frustrating is a lot of the information I studied and prepared for was rendered useless and I had no idea to prepare for certain topics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting for the results is killing me. I just wanna curl up somewhere until the scores are out i just feel like crap inside. Its hard to be positive cause this exam was ruthless and from the people I've met and talked to about it they're always like "you never know what can happen". But man im begging God to pleease just pleease let me pass. I hope we all do!

Reactions: 2 users
wafflesDPT and Romazicon nailed it. I guess it makes me feel a little better reading these posts. I still think I definitely failed. I have pretty much convinced myself after going through so many questions that I either made a stupid mistake on or didn't have the right logic. I guess time will tell. I'm from New Jersey.

The crazy part is I passed both PEATs and scored an 81% on the retired PEAT. Apparently passing that gives you a 99.3% chance of passing the NPTE! I just thought the NPTE was much more difficult and covered topics I have literally never seen before.

What was passing on the PEAT? should we base it off the Ontrack score?

I made a 73 on the retired 2018 and 77 on the practice form

I took so many Therapy Ed exams and PEAT and tbh it seemed more PT related than the NPTE :/

Yeah the whole 99% chance of passing NPTE if you pass PEAT makes no sense to me because the two tests were SO different in my eyes. I got a 77 on the first PEAT and then an 80 on the retired PEAT. I don't see it correlating to NPTE hahahaha but what do I know. I was doing okay yesterday because I was so relieved to not be studying. Today.. ridden with anxiety.

What was passing on the PEAT? should we base it off the Ontrack score?

I made a 73 on the retired 2018 and 77 on the practice form

Yeah, the on track to pass score is what is considered passing. I also looked at my projected NPTE range for the overall score. I just know I missed soooo many questions. It is a terrible feeling.

Yeah the whole 99% chance of passing NPTE if you pass PEAT makes no sense to me because the two tests were SO different in my eyes. I got a 77 on the first PEAT and then an 80 on the retired PEAT. I don't see it correlating to NPTE hahahaha but what do I know. I was doing okay yesterday because I was so relieved to not be studying. Today.. ridden with anxiety.

The stress continues to worsen, and I seem to realize more questions missed each day lol. Horrible.

I also felt like I was rushed the entire exam. The questions were much more difficult and longer to process than any of the practice exams. So I was forced to answer many pretty quickly due to time constraint. It seems that everything that could've went wrong did lol. I just want to know if I failed and move on with it!

I agree with the rushing part, I consistently felt behind overall and limited with review. I was surprised with how long it actually took to get through the processing of some questions. The good thing is it sounds like we all had the same issues so if anything, that does make me feel better haha.

Reactions: 1 users
I felt like a zombie when I was done. Like my brain was literally sucked out. lol. I am praying so hard to see pass next week because it was tough!

The rushing part is what I'm scared of. I left the exam thinking to myself that I just zoomed right through it due to the time limit. I answered the 1st thing on my mind, just went with my gut answering every question so I dont go insane by backtracking and thinking of "what ifs". If i truly had a hard time I'd mark it and just went back for it. The last 2 sections were the hardest for me cause I was slowly dying along the way. Endurance is key in order to be level headed for 5 hours straight. I just can't imagine going through this more than once.

The rushing part is what I'm scared of. I left the exam thinking to myself that I just zoomed right through it due to the time limit. I answered the 1st thing on my mind, just went with my gut answering every question so I dont go insane by backtracking and thinking of "what ifs". If i truly had a hard time I'd mark it and just went back for it. The last 2 sections were the hardest for me cause I was slowly dying along the way. Endurance is key in order to be level headed for 5 hours straight. I just can't imagine going through this more than once.

Yes, I literally had the same exact approach as you. I completely rushed the last two sections.

I fee like the last 3, especially the last one was definitely annoying. I’m sure I missed a lot but haven’t gone over anything because I’m already feeling so defeated and terrible. I get palpitations and anxiety every time I think of the test and things that I probably missed. It’s so bad that I even wake up remembering the horrible day and “another item that I possible got wrong”. It got better now, but I guess it had something to do with me going to my PCP and asking for an anti anxiety meds because I’m throwing myself into mini panic attacks. I just can’t bear going through it over again. I’d die. Well, not literally, but you know what I mean. Anyway, does anyone know what the passing score is? I know it was 600 before but we were told that since this new 2018 test is given, the pass score will change to something higher. Anyone has legit info about this? I’m from GA BTW.

I fee like the last 3, especially the last one was definitely annoying. I’m sure I missed a lot but haven’t gone over anything because I’m already feeling so defeated and terrible. I get palpitations and anxiety every time I think of the test and things that I probably missed. It’s so bad that I even wake up remembering the horrible day and “another item that I possible got wrong”. It got better now, but I guess it had something to do with me going to my PCP and asking for an anti anxiety meds because I’m throwing myself into mini panic attacks. I just can’t bear going through it over again. I’d die. Well, not literally, but you know what I mean. Anyway, does anyone know what the passing score is? I know it was 600 before but we were told that since this new 2018 test is given, the pass score will change to something higher. Anyone has legit info about this? I’m from GA BTW.

Hey - no information about passing score stuff. I've dealt with a lot of anxiety my whole life and went through heart palpitation type stuff before so I'm really sorry, it sucks. I wish you luck getting through these next couple of days.

Hey - no information about passing score stuff. I've dealt with a lot of anxiety my whole life and went through heart palpitation type stuff before so I'm really sorry, it sucks. I wish you luck getting through these next couple of days.
Thanks a lot. It’s super hard and I hope this is not going to be permanent. Lol. Hoping for a good result. Fingers crossed.

Speaking of anxiety I had a horrible dream that I failed. I woke up feeling like crap and relieved that it wasn't real. Now I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry hahaha. I heard that we need 4 extra points to pass this year. I'm really hoping that we all did well. This is the last stretch oh, and I'm from NY ❤

The passing score is still 600 but they increased the amount of questions you have to get correct to earn a 600... I believe last year was 134/200 and I have heard it is 140/200. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of anxiety I had a horrible dream that I failed. I woke up feeling like crap and relieved that it wasn't real. Now I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry hahaha. I heard that we need 4 extra points to pass this year. I'm really hoping that we all did well. This is the last stretch oh, and I'm from NY ❤
I know the feeling mate! Also hoping we did well enough to pass.

Just thought I'd throw another data point in there for future test takers. Got a 63, 66, 69 on O'Sullivan, 80 on the retired PEAT, and 81 on the practice PEAT. I really hope that 99.3% pass rate for passing the PEAT is true... I'm starting to run out of things to distract myself from waiting for the results!

Does anyone know about the whole receiving pass/fail results Tuesday vs Wednesday? I tried stalking past years' threads but didn't find anything solid. Is there any rhyme or reason/pattern to who hears? Is it by state?

Does anyone know about the whole receiving pass/fail results Tuesday vs Wednesday? I tried stalking past years' threads but didn't find anything solid. Is there any rhyme or reason/pattern to who hears? Is it by state?

The results will be out Tuesday night anywhere from 5pm on ... if a score is withheld the person will receive an email from fsbpt and those people get that before any scores of pass/fail are handed out. There is no order of what state gets what or who gets what but by Tuesday night you will know.

The results will be out Tuesday night anywhere from 5pm on ... if a score is withheld the person will receive an email from fsbpt and those people get that before any scores of pass/fail are handed out. There is no order of what state gets what or who gets what but by Tuesday night you will know.
Oh wow so everyone will hear at some point Tuesday night? Daaaang.

The thought of going through the whole thing all over again is killing me.. I really hope we all pass.

Reactions: 2 users
Ugh today's the day. I feel like I'm going to throw up. This is the most nervous I've been so far.

How do you know that?? You're like the NPTE gossip whisperer :D

A friend of mine got the result around this time last season. He took his NPTE in Guam (Oct 2017). I think it has something to do with the time difference (being 15-18hrs ahead of US main land). Their scores are reviewed and submitted to their respective jurisdictions earlier than the rest of us.

I checked my fsbpt says my results are withheld what does this mean??
Withheld Scores FAQs
Why are scores held for validation?
Some candidates have their scores withheld on any given exam date. Reasons we may hold scores include:

• A mismatch between registration data and data received from Prometric,
  • Response patterns that suggest a very narrow range of studying,
  • An incident at a test center that requires investigation (e.g., accessing a phone or materials during a break),
  • The score is very low (near guessing) and we want to validate that it is a legitimate testing attempt, and
  • Very large score gains.
ALL SCORES are subject to validation prior to being released.

Omg
Withheld Scores FAQs
Why are scores held for validation?
Some candidates have their scores withheld on any given exam date. Reasons we may hold scores include:

• A mismatch between registration data and data received from Prometric,
  • Response patterns that suggest a very narrow range of studying,
  • An incident at a test center that requires investigation (e.g., accessing a phone or materials during a break),
  • The score is very low (near guessing) and we want to validate that it is a legitimate testing attempt, and
  • Very large score gains.
ALL SCORES are subject to validation prior to being released.
Omg im hoping its not a bad sign! :(:(