NRI, Applying to Medical school in Patiala

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gurman13o

1st Prof. Gian Sagar MBBS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how is medical school in Patiala?? Pros/Cons

Whats there to look forward to? what are things to fear?

Members don't see this ad.

okayyy... No replies..

Let me make it more broad, how about medical schools in PUNJAB. Not just Patiala. How about Gian Sagar or DMC?

Yeah dude the schools are good in punjab. Generally all medical schools are good except the ones which have been recently opened. I dont know much but DMC is one of the biggest in punjab and is really good. Patiala is also good but the thing in India is that MBBS is just MBBS irrespective where you do it unless you are bright enough to make it into AIMS. But generally speaking medical proffesion in India is in bad shape not that it lacks facilities but after you graduate u do not get good package untill you do MD or MS but if money is not a criteria and you beleive in noble proffesions then you will get plenty of exposure into real medical world. The curriculam is quite rigrous and you will definately learn out of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, Gian Sagar just opened about 2 years ago.. But it is on a year by year accreditation right now.. It is REALLY beautiful though. Should i consider going there?

hey gurman... I don't know where you are from or if you are punjabi... but assuming you are an NRI punjabi considering medical college in India I will advise you so:

I suggest you go to a college that is more established than 2years... DMC is a good college I hear... but I have heard that colleges in the North have a lot of problems with strikes... I remember I was going to go to DMC but then admissions stopped during the period I wanted to get in due to strikes. This was around june 2003... I don't know how big a problem this is know but it is something to consider.

I would reccomend going to a college located in a big city and also in a place where you speak the local language.... these 2 things are very important... as the language helps for patient interaction and the city helps in the adjustment part of the equation... if you are coming from the states you will find it easier to adjust in a city where there are more outlets for destressing and generally more activities to do besides study...

Ummmm if you are sticking to only Punjab for your college I guess DMC Ludhiana is one of your best choices but I suggest you try other places like Bombay... there are quite a few good medical colleges there... and if you are open to coming down to South India you can always check out Manipal or Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences( KIMS).

feel free to private message me in case you have any more questions...

dggopal, Thank you so much for your input i greatly appreciate it.

I am from the states and i was born here but i have roots linking me back to Punjab. I can speak punjabi fluently but not as fluent as native speakers. I understand Hindi for the most part but cannot speak it.

I have applied for PMET-2008 and I will go in for my interview on the 26th of July, I am going to ask for DMC as my first choice, if that is not available i will aim my sights for Patiala.

dggopal, i see that you go to kims?

ya im in 11th grade in the US and i am in the IB program, i hope some1 in this thread knows this, and i am planning to go to med school in india(looking at kims) will i be able to last there in terms of grades,
like can i keep up cuz i heard india is much tougher than the us in studies and i mean im pretty good at biology and chemistry rite now in this IB program which is baisically college courses. i am taking AP physics this summer but my only fear is will i be able to keep up in the indian studies?

thanks,

Yeah man I know what IB is... I was in that program too... haha... Dunno where you are from but I'm from Los Angeles... went to Troy for High School... but honestly man even though I had the IB work load and stuff... its very different here... the teaching style and just the way everything is here... its not at all gonna be spoon fed to you as it was in high school... teachers arent going to give you home work or anything... you basically have to come to school for attendance... and go home and study yourself out of the book... but if you have any questions then teachers will try their best to make you understand... umm senior students help too... I mean like I'm from america so I look out for NRI's and I help them when they get here... just like that people from punjab look out for punjabi students and so on... its very chill like that.... but you gotta make the first step and ask... umm I say if you are a hard worker back home you can survive here... usually the first year is the toughest cuz of all the adjustments.

my advice to you is go to DMC, ludhiana ,, i have been hearing lots of good things about ot and how every nri kid wants to go there. i am grading next year and going there as well:)