NRI Considering Medical School in India : Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if you are applying through the NRI quota ( really there is no such quota in practical terms... as all the NRI seats are converted into Management seats on which there are less regulations.... unless you go to Manipal or some other college like that.... but usually you are going to get a seat via the management quota)

and as u are getting in via the management quota.... scores on ur sciences do not matter... as long as you have taken all three sciences at the high school level... its only money that will count... you will be paying a donation to the college ( read bribe) to get a seat... cost of donation and full tuition will run between 50 and 60 lakhs ( Kempegoda Institute of Medical Sciences and others colleges in the south)

I am pretty sure since you have not taken the CBSE or CET exams you are precluded from govt. colleges... unsure though as you mentions some test scores from in the beginning of your post..

Members don't see this ad.

ok so as far as i've researched.... india might be CHEAPER then america in tuition fee and all...
but once you study in india.... the education level is little lower than american schools. My sister is a doctor and she told me there are doctors from ALL INDIA MEDICAL COLLEGE (suppose 2 b best college in india) and they have troubles working with the technologies and all hre in america.
AND one more thing. Even if you have good experience and all.... it takes LONG TIME to get the licence to work in american hospitals because AT LEAST 3 years.
so 7.5+ min of 3 years= a VERyy longg timE.
sooo.... even tho india is cheaper.... it is better to study in american schools or the international schools down in the carrabien or england or australia because they prepare you for USMLE while your in ur 3 or 4 year instead of waitng till after getting your degree to take the USMLE exam.
USMLE has 3 steps to it. and it therefore it takes at least of 3 years.
But just because you pass the tests.... does not guarantee you a job in american hospitals.... it takes a LOT more time than just 3 years.

the NRI seats are demanding BIGGG amount of "donation" and any NRI can give general exam but it is very difficult to pass it due to the syllabus difference in american and indian studies.
INSTEAD of wasting time.... try looking for INTERNATIONAL or AMERICA colleges that are based around the world.

if any comments or questions feel free to contact me on
[email protected]

PLUS:
medical schools offer 4 and 6 year programs depending on your needs.
So if you want to finish early, and are ready to work REALLY REALLY hard right after high school so you can try searching for 4 year fast track MD programm.

let me tell you this GOOODD university

ST. George
http://www.sgu.edu/

this school has bought ALL of the NEW YORK's hospitals. meaning only their students can do clinicals in NY hospitals. They have reserved seats in lot more american hospitals based in TX, AR, etc.

there are LOTS more med schools like this one.... just need to chek if they are affiliated with the W.H.O and if their students r eligible to sit for the USMLEE exams

Members don't see this ad :)
Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore/Manipal
Regarding the fees--

- Somewhere on their site I read 21 lakh for complete MBBS (excluding hostels/living)
- Somewhere else I read 147,000 USD for complete MBBS (excluding hostels/living)
- On SND I read 50-60 Lakh for complete MBBS (excluding hostels/living)

Now these fees are rediculously high for a medical school in India, close to that paid for attending American medical schools.

Hmm, I was going through this forum and I came across a list of what I was looking for

This was something exactly what I was looking for ... cause, offhand I know the best colleges for All India would go like, but this is catered toward the NRI crowd.

*AIIMS
*JIPMER
*CMC Vellore

If anyone of you'll are aware of how Bharatiya Vidyapeeth Medical College is, please do write your views.

-DNR
Are you interested in doing MBBS In Hyderabad, AP. I know some colleges where the fee is around RS 30 Lakhs for MBBS. Is it affordable for you?

Hi guys,

I am currently studying IB in Hong Kong. However, I will be moving to India by June this year and intend to study Medicine thereafter. Due to my final IB exams (which I just finished :D), I was unable to take the HSC examinations and the relevant entrance exams required for Medicine. I passed my SSC in India and secured an overall percentage of 84% with a 96 in Sciences. Currently, I study Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, English and Psychology.

As I was unable to take the HSC and entrance examinations due to my IB final exams, I would like to find out my chances of getting into a good University.

From what people have told me, I need to apply through the NRI quota. This is fine, but I've heard its really expensive! Also, do I stand a chance at any of the government colleges? Or is it just private colleges that I need to focus on? Also, since the results are out pretty soon (4th of June), how do I proceed?

And does anyone know how Indian Colleges convert IB points?

I would really appreciate any help! Awaiting your reply.

I don't know the answers of most of the questions you have asked. But I am sure that NRI quota seats will not be very expensive and you will not get admission in Government colleges. In India private colleges are better when compared to government colleges. You need to focus on private colleges

Shobita, The biggest problem with the US system is that you are not guaranteed a seat in a medical school even after doing premed or whatever other degree u pursue - there are several prereqs to get into a medical school -
1. you need undergrad degree or 90 collge credits with 2 years chemistry, 1 year math, 1 year bio etc. (premed stuff...)
2. you have to write MCAT and do well
3. You have to write an essay that shows why you are interested in pursuiing medicine
4. You need to augment all this with voluntary stints at local hospitals - again to show you level of interest

Even if you have all these you may not get a seat! Note that some of these preqs are so subjective, that you may think you did well but your interviewer may think that you cannot have a decent conversation about american football!

Only 1 in 2 student aspiring for medical degree actually are successful in the US.

just my 2 cents...

sgu looks good. So does

http://www.aucmed.edu/
http://www.rossu.edu/

Since my parents want to move to Chennai for a while, I am personally interested in SRMC as I get the bonus of experiencing the south indian culture :love:

Are there any NRI students currently studying at Ramachandra on this thread from the Boston area?

I'd love to hookup...

Shobita, The biggest problem with the US system is that you are not guaranteed a seat in a medical school even after doing premed or whatever other degree u pursue - there are several prereqs to get into a medical school -
1. you need undergrad degree or 90 collge credits with 2 years chemistry, 1 year math, 1 year bio etc. (premed stuff...)
3. You have to write an essay that shows why you are interested in pursuiing medicine
4. You need to augment all this with voluntary stints at local hospitals - again to show you level of interest

Even if you have all these you may not get a seat! Note that some of these preqs are so subjective, that you may think you did well but your interviewer may think that you cannot have a decent conversation about american football!

Only 1 in 2 student aspiring for medical degree actually are successful in the US.

just my 2 cents...

Yes that is a disadvantage of the US medical education system. However, it's also a plus in that you only get those people who really want to be doctors. You don't get those who are only doing it for their parents or are only doing it for a good career/salary. Overall you get people who are genuinely interested in medicine and helping others.

Just to be clear... Govt. colleges in India ARE better than private colleges in terms of teaching institutions... Colleges like AIIMS and Jipmer, to name a few, are ranked highly in all of Asia let alone India... don't take my word for it... just search google... almost all the top 10 med schools in India are govt. colleges. But again... as Addison0 has pointed out... they don't allow for donation seat. Only those who compete get in.... so private institutions are the best bet for any foreigner looking to study here....

Last edited:
Why are u worried about losing 5 years. When after you have build your career & are on track you can easily work for at least 50-55 years.

A 50% discount offer on your favorite channels. Book your channels now. Hurry! offer valid till 10 Jan 2010.
http://bit.ly/9296lp

How is Manipal Nepal Medical College.
And How r the colleges in Navi Mumbai like DY Patil, Terna and MGM.
Can any one suggest cheap and Good med colleges in India.
Rgds

How is Manipal Nepal Medical College.
And How r the colleges in Navi Mumbai like DY Patil, Terna and MGM.
Can any one suggest cheap and Good med colleges in India.
Rgds

Wow. Have you come to a whole sale market that you want something "cheap and good" ? It's a freakin education. Atleast try and make it sound important.

The college in Nepal does come under the Manipal Academy, so in terms of having a "name", it's decent. But what the level of education is and whether it is NRI friendly, that's open for debate.

Anyway, i've said it once, i'll say it again. The only highly reputable colleges in India are the government colleges. Alot of them reserve seats for foreign nationals who originally belong to a specific state. So if you have domicile for a state, try for it's medical college. In terms of private colleges, KMC Manipal is probably the best in the country. Overall also, it's ranked 5th or something. That obviously does mean that it's the hardest to get into and well, has the highest admission standards.

All other private colleges are considered the same. Yes some are better than others and that usually depends on how old the school is. Also it should be RECOGNIZED by MCI and not just approved. So be careful of any college that gives out ads in newspapers for it's MBBS seats. And be careful of middlemen/agents. Alot of these places are sketchy.

Alot also depends on which country you are from and what your future plans are. But the take home message is, any college for an NRI wanting to MBBS in India would be cost close to $100,000. (More in case of Manipal).

hey i am an american citizen. i was born in the U.S but i have been living in india for the past 12 years with my family. i have done my schooling from CBSE. currently i am in 12th standard and i am preaparing for my boards and medical entrance exams. but i saw in one of the form that only indian nationals are eligible for appearing in pre-medical entrance exam.. i was shocked?? i want to know that am i not eligible for appearing in any of medical entrance exam conducted by government colleges. i have heard of NRI quota in private colleges but i cannot afford to pay so much fee+ donation. i think i am capable of cracking an entrance exam as i have been taking coaching classes for 2 yrs. i just want to know that are there any government colleges which have NRI quota?? under which category do i come?? i want to do my MBBS in a cost which is affordable..... plz help. if anyone knows any site or any agency where i can get any kind of information regarding this plz rply....

hey i am an american citizen. i was born in the U.S but i have been living in india for the past 12 years with my family. i have done my schooling from CBSE. currently i am in 12th standard and i am preaparing for my boards and medical entrance exams. but i saw in one of the form that only indian nationals are eligible for appearing in pre-medical entrance exam.. i was shocked?? i want to know that am i not eligible for appearing in any of medical entrance exam conducted by government colleges. i have heard of NRI quota in private colleges but i cannot afford to pay so much fee+ donation. i think i am capable of cracking an entrance exam as i have been taking coaching classes for 2 yrs. i just want to know that are there any government colleges which have NRI quota?? under which category do i come?? i want to do my MBBS in a cost which is affordable..... plz help. if anyone knows any site or any agency where i can get any kind of information regarding this plz rply....

I wouldn't be surprised if you are legally not allowed to sit the CBSE entrance exam. I vaguely remember it saying in the prospectus that only Indian citizens were eligible. A centralized entrance exam conducted by the governing body of practically all education in India only for Indian citizens ? That's a no brainer. IMO, somebody should've forewarned you about this.

That said, government colleges do have NRI quotas and you'd need to read the prospectus regarding the eligibility criteria for those colleges. Usually you'd need to have a domicile of that state to be considered eligible. Up until a few years back, the fee was close to $75,000 for MBBS. That probably would have gone up by now. Colleges in Karnataka, Maharashtra and Punjab come to mind. Don't involve middlemen or agents, very high chance you'll get duped. Feel free to post more questions.

just my 2 cents...

If you cant get the scores, I wouldnt want you to be my doctor.
Why dont you look at BS/MD programs. These guarantee your seat in an american med school, generally a good med school.
And "stints"? I find that offensive. If you're going to be a doctor, you need these so called stints to learn the ins and outs of the field.
I sure hope you dont come back!

Hi

Now there's alot of info about NRIs going to med schools in India, especially Manipal and colleges in the South. Does anyone know anything about DMC in Ludhiana? I am in second yr and am intrerested in going to India for med. Even tho studying here in my country of residence would be the prefferable oiption, unfortunately I dont have a high enmough GPA and cannot bump up my GPA to the level that is required to get interviews here.

IM soo stuck on making a decision - completing my Bsc here (w/o getting the GPA thats needed to get into med school here) vs getting a med degree from India.

The only two things that are deterring me from an MBBS in India are security (I only have grandparents there who are pretty old! and this is Punjab we r talking about so not much law and order) and the fact that my MBBS will be useless until I pass tests (this is an obviuous uncertainty with everyone coming to India to study) to be able to practice overseas (which is my intent).

Now I know that I have to make a decision since only I can really assess all my options. But since alot of u here are established and have more experience than I, I would really value your input.

Is there anyone on this forum who is an NRI and has completed his/ her MBBS and is in the process or has comleted the process of passing teir USMLE's, etc?

I am an NRI in the process of completing MBBS here. I would not do it period! The process takes 6.5 years at least if you are lucky. And that is with no guarantee youll get a seat after those 6.5 years. Not to mention the mental exhaustion india puts on you. I mean its not a bad place and not as corrupt as people put it. But it is still far away from home. You will also be with kids younger than you. They are basically straight from high school. You may think that doesnt matter but trust me you need people you can connect with after all youll be here for 5.5 years! I think its better to finish college and even try for a masters if you dont have gpa. It is a safer bet, probably as expensive, and alot less taxing stress wise! Message me if you have specific questions or need know specific details

I am an NRI in the process of completing MBBS here. I would not do it period! The process takes 6.5 years at least if you are lucky. And that is with no guarantee youll get a seat after those 6.5 years. Not to mention the mental exhaustion india puts on you. I mean its not a bad place and not as corrupt as people put it. But it is still far away from home. You will also be with kids younger than you. They are basically straight from high school. You may think that doesnt matter but trust me you need people you can connect with after all youll be here for 5.5 years! I think its better to finish college and even try for a masters if you dont have gpa. It is a safer bet, probably as expensive, and alot less taxing stress wise! Message me if you have specific questions or need know specific details

I agree with most of your post in that a lot of aspects of doing MBBS in India can be uncomfortable for NRIs. However, I do want to point out something that you said, that a lot people have misconceptions about: The age issue.
Many Indians starts MBBS two years after graduating from highschool. I started MBBS at 22, and I have several Indian friends who started at 20 or 21---so I essentially had people my age in my class. I also thought that everyone would be 17 or 18 in my class, and although there are a couple of 17 year olds, I was shocked by how many of the Indians were so close to my age.
Age really shouldn't be an issue---it certainly isn't in Allopathic medical schools or in any instutite of higher education in the US to the degree it is in India. Part of the age issue might be that a lot of 18-22 year olds here aren't mature for their age---many times, especially in the first two professionals, I felt as if I was in middle school again.

Hey i came across this thread on SDN, i was wondering how your experience went if you really did go to India for MBBS. I am a High School senior right now and am graduating this summer and am going to a Medical College in Andhra Pradesh called NRI Medical College. I was hopeing to get some feed back from any of you guys on how it went. Thank you

Hello Everyone,

There are many aspects to keep in mind when choosing the right medical school for yourself. You have to decide between the MD vs. MBBS training, the correct school which offers quality teachers, avoiding establishments that may try to take advantage of NRI students, and keeping up with the format of education offered by many Indian universities.

There are certainly many reputable universities compared to other universities in India. The best advice before even considering a school, is doing your research on the medical school and talking to alumni from that school. In addition, by keeping in contact with forums just like this.

We have known a few friends who attended various medical schools in India and we have collectively gathered very useful information. If we can help anyone, even advice, please let us know.

If anyone has any specific questions or concerns, please e-mail us:

[email protected]