NRI Practicing Med in India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.BilkulPagal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
My first time posting in the India Med forum. I have been thinking about going back to India for quite a while now, most likely after completion of med school here in the states. I just wanted to know, how many of you would be interested in practicing medicine in the states for let's say ~11 months out of the year, and then do 1 month in India to help out local villages?
I've been thinking of setting up such a thing in the future, or teaming up with this program: www.goyalmd.com

Just some thoughts,
Let me know,
Dr. Bilkul Pagal :)

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.BilkulPagal said:
Hey all,
My first time posting in the India Med forum. I have been thinking about going back to India for quite a while now, most likely after completion of med school here in the states. I just wanted to know, how many of you would be interested in practicing medicine in the states for let's say ~11 months out of the year, and then do 1 month in India to help out local villages?
I've been thinking of setting up such a thing in the future, or teaming up with this program: www.goyalmd.com

Just some thoughts,
Let me know,

http://www.actionaidindia.org/home.htm

thats another program to get hooked up with..I think 11 US and 1 India sounds like a very good plan...

But man, its really so nice to see people like you arnd this forum...! :thumbup: Helps me not to feel isolated.

LOL you got a nice modest nick there..Dr Bilkul [not]-pagal. I think Dr. malki had started such a thread...so wait till me and him and others join you coz am still an undergrad grr.. actually don't wait.. go ahead..we are coming!!!:D

Hey Priyanka!
thanks for the link, I'll definitely have to look into that. As for starting the program, it will probably be another decade before I could ever do such a thing. I haven't started med school yet, waiting to hear this upcoming Feb. 1st if I got into the Texas schools.

I have been reading these posts for quite some time now, especially enjoyed the Arranged Marriage perspectives.

Anyway, I'll be going to India this summer even if I receive an acceptance here or not. I'm looking to volunteer in Sirsi or Mumbai for ~1 month and then travel a little bit.

Cheers :) ,
Dr. Bilkul Pagal

Members don't see this ad :)
Priyanka, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that "bilkul" means completely, and "pagal" means crazy, looney.

The only Hindi I know is pretty much the bad words, so I might be wrong. I'll be spending next semester learning Hindi so I can interact with people in India over the summer.

priyanka said:
http://www.actionaidindia.org/home.htm

thats another program to get hooked up with..I think 11 US and 1 India sounds like a very good plan...

But man, its really so nice to see people like you arnd this forum...! :thumbup: Helps me not to feel isolated.

LOL you got a nice modest nick there..Dr Bilkul [not]-pagal. I think Dr. malki had started such a thread...so wait till me and him and others join you coz am still an undergrad grr.. actually don't wait.. go ahead..we are coming!!!:D

Priyanka I am actually a female :) lol But yeah i am totally up for working a month in india... part time treating patients and part time teaching prevention methods for the most common diseases villagers come across.

Dr.BilkulPagal said:
Priyanka, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that "bilkul" means completely, and "pagal" means crazy, looney.

The only Hindi I know is pretty much the bad words, so I might be wrong. I'll be spending next semester learning Hindi so I can interact with people in India over the summer.

yeah doc pagal ....you are bilkul right ;)

DoctorMalki said:
Priyanka I am actually a female :) lol But yeah i am totally up for working a month in india... part time treating patients and part time teaching prevention methods for the most common diseases villagers come across.

LOL are you serious ?!...NO wonder!! damn I was starting to feel that guys are actually this sweet...hahaha
nice to meet you again miss dr.Malki ;)

Sounds like a great plan to me Dr. Pagal

I would love to do something like this too. It will be awesome.

Miss Priyanka you are not alone ;)

relax :D

Dr.BilkulPagal said:
Hey all,

Just some thoughts,
Let me know,
:thumbup: grt program :thumbup:

Dr.BilkulPagal said:
Hey all,

Just some thoughts,
Let me know,

IF you havent started med school yet, why do you sign your name with Dr.?

Anyways, its cool that you guys are doing this. Im gonna be doing the same thing but on the dental side, which is just as important. But I like travelling around the world, so Im not gonna focus only on India, but as many countries as I can do. For my MPH degree, Im planning on doing my practical in Haiti which should be cool.

But as a doctor, is it possible for you guys to do this?? I dont know much about the American med system, but Ive heard that doctors in the US dont have much freedom. I know for a fact that dentistry is a very autonomous profession, which is a major reason why I chose it over medicine, so I basically will run my practice anyway I want to, so if I want to go off for a month to travel, I can do it. Do US doctors enjoy the same freedoms?

Premedtomed said:
Sounds like a great plan to me Dr. Pagal

I would love to do something like this too. It will be awesome.

Miss Priyanka you are not alone ;)

relax :D

:D

Dr. Badvibes,
My name affords me the notion that medicine shouldn't always be so serious, there is a practical side that goes beyond the didactic approach. I used Dr. because it serves as a reminder that there is hope for my dream of becoming one. Hope you didn't lose sleep over it.

Doctors in the U.S. aren't tied down per say, but it does take a while in order to establish your own practice if you wish to be your own boss. Nothing in life comes without struggle, and most likely, yes it would be difficult to start such a program at first.

I wish you the best of luck, and highly recommend a book entitled Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder, I believe. I think you'll appreciate the parts that deal with healthcare in Haiti (and other places) and how one physician accomplished an amazing feat.

Cheers,
Dr. Pagal

"Dummy, doctors only save people, you showed them how to live."
~Munnabhai, M.B.B.S. :D

Dr.BilkulPagal said:
I used Dr. because it serves as a reminder that there is hope for my dream of becoming one. Hope you didn't lose sleep over it.

You seem like a really nice person, but I just think thats incredibly lame.

-Dr. BadVibes
Nobel Prize Winner in Medicine for Curing Cancer

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno how practical is 11 month US - 1 month India plan. I would like to fund healthcare development in India after I pay my loans off.

Btw, how are you guys doin? Anyone knows where they are going next year? Lemme know if anyone is planning to be here in Chicago...It will be good times ;)

IllinoisStudent said:
I dunno how practical is 11 month US - 1 month India plan. I would like to fund healthcare development in India after I pay my loans off.

Btw, how are you guys doin? Anyone knows where they are going next year? Lemme know if anyone is planning to be here in Chicago...It will be good times ;)

aww I was just in chicago three weeks ago. I had a great time. I interviewed at rosalind franklin but I got there two days before my interview so I went around the city and I really loved chicago. I hope I hear good news from them soon ! :) Still dunno where I am going... how are things going for you?

IllinoisStudent said:

University of Cincinnati School of Medicine

Did not apply to Chicago schools.

Premedtomed said:

Awesome! Congratulations, man :clap: :clap:

Premedtomed said:

You don't know what you missed on :p

DoctorMalki said:
aww I was just in chicago three weeks ago. I had a great time. I interviewed at rosalind franklin but I got there two days before my interview so I went around the city and I really loved chicago. I hope I hear good news from them soon ! :) Still dunno where I am going... how are things going for you?

wow..what places you went to?

I am staying in Chicago next year. I was initially debating but finally have made up my mind :) . I didn't apply to Rosalind Franklin, but good luck there :luck: Is tat your first choice school? We will have Midwestern SDNers party down in Chicago next year :D

going back to chicago would be great. i went to northwestern for undergrad. i miss chicago.

i don't think doing regular work in India is impractical at all. in fact i know i lot of doctors who have similar schedules. i'm definitely interested in doing that.

my desi pre-med friends from college were from all over inida, we always talked about collaborating and opening up clinics in each of our respective cities.

i've talked to some med students that did international rotations as well during 3rd and 4th year. people say you can get really good hands on exposure if you do rotations in india. i think 4th year, after interviews before match, or right after match, you could easily go to india for a 3 month rotation. there's different types, you can rotate at the big time hospitals or much smaller clinics. i might do that down the road. you guys should look into that too if you're interested in getting some experienc in india.

IllinoisStudent said:
wow..what places you went to?

I am staying in Chicago next year. I was initially debating but finally have made up my mind :) . I didn't apply to Rosalind Franklin, but good luck there :luck: Is tat your first choice school? We will have Midwestern SDNers party down in Chicago next year :D

We were by north shore i believe? I don't even remember the street but ti was great. I was pretty shocked with how expensive parking was there. I think we ended up paying 27$ for parking a few hours. The best part about the trip was the stuffed pizza at giordanos(sp?) lol
I really liked RF I hope I get in ! Th school was great and they have a 100% match list . I would love to go there ! What is your top choice school?

Premedtomed said:

Congratulations !! It must be such a relief to know that you're gonna be a doctor!!! I am still waiting for an acceptance :oops: Hopefully will hear some good news soon :D

DoctorMalki said:
The best part about the trip was the stuffed pizza at giordanos(sp?) lol

ohh giordanos, its so good. i really miss that.

Dr.BilkulPagal said:
Hey all,

Just some thoughts,
Let me know,

desikudi said:
:thumbup: grt program :thumbup:

Hi everyone. My name is Ashish Goyal and I'm the Founder of AVSAR (the Alliance of Volunteers for Service, Action & Reform... www.AVSARIndia.org aka www.goyalmd.com).

It's great to see all of you getting so excited about doing volunteer/service work in India. It's obvious that your passionate about helping those less fortunate than you, and it's obvious that you have a sincere desire to spend time in a country which many of you probably feel a very strong connection with.

I know that most of you are still on your way towards getting your MD, and I also know that you'll be challenged with obstacles much bigger than Organic Chemistry or the MCAT... but stick with it and get through it. It's extremely rewarding to have the ability to make a strong impact in the lives of others. And as a physician, your options are limitless... Do you think I knew I'd be starting AVSAR when I was in medical school? Absolutely not.

Anyways, you're all welcome to apply for the AVSAR program (even as undergraduates), and your help would be much appreciated on either side of the world. We need help with running and expanding the organization here on the US front, and your help with marketing/advertising, public relations, contact management, fundraising, etc. would be much appreciated.

If any of you would like to know more about the program, I encourage you to get in touch with AVSAR's Program Director (she's from Boston and quit her job to move to India) at:
A V S A R P D @ G O Y A L M D . C O M

If you would like to get in touch with me directly, please feel free to do so at:
G O Y A L @ G O Y A L M D . C O M

I working night and day (usually > 100 hours/week), so please forgive me for any delay in my response.

All the best,

Ashish Goyal, MD

Dr. Goyal,

Your organization sounds incredible. I would just like to know if there are any opportunites for current dental students? I myself am an aspiring pediatric dentist who is also currently working on his MPH and would like to get involved with underpriveledged children in India this upcoming summer.

DoctorMalki said:
Congratulations !! It must be such a relief to know that you're gonna be a doctor!!! I am still waiting for an acceptance :oops: Hopefully will hear some good news soon :D

sit tight miss ;)

Sounds like a great organization Ashish,
All that I can say is that you have done an
excellent job. Keep it up. I am really interested in helping the underpriveleged in India, especially Mumbai. I lived there for about nine years.

Good Luck with your future endeavors and take care ;)

GoyalMD said:
Hi everyone. My name is Ashish Goyal and I'm the Founder of AVSAR (the Alliance of Volunteers for Service, Action & Reform... www.AVSARIndia.org aka www.goyalmd.com).

It's great to see all of you getting so excited about doing volunteer/service work in India. It's obvious that your passionate about helping those less fortunate than you, and it's obvious that you have a sincere desire to spend time in a country which many of you probably feel a very strong connection with.

I know that most of you are still on your way towards getting your MD, and I also know that you'll be challenged with obstacles much bigger than Organic Chemistry or the MCAT... but stick with it and get through it. It's extremely rewarding to have the ability to make a strong impact in the lives of others. And as a physician, your options are limitless... Do you think I knew I'd be starting AVSAR when I was in medical school? Absolutely not.

Anyways, you're all welcome to apply for the AVSAR program (even as undergraduates), and your help would be much appreciated on either side of the world. We need help with running and expanding the organization here on the US front, and your help with marketing/advertising, public relations, contact management, fundraising, etc. would be much appreciated.

If any of you would like to know more about the program, I encourage you to get in touch with AVSAR's Program Director (she's from Boston and quit her job to move to India) at:
A V S A R P D @ G O Y A L M D . C O M

If you would like to get in touch with me directly, please feel free to do so at:
G O Y A L @ G O Y A L M D . C O M

I working night and day (usually > 100 hours/week), so please forgive me for any delay in my response.

All the best,

Ashish Goyal, MD

Dr. Goyal, Thank you for the information and also for the insipration! When someone is going through this process of applying to med school , the frustration and sadness can get overwelcoming but we always have to remember what our goal is and that goal is our inspiration. Thanks !

hey guys...

i just browsed into this forum and thought you guys might be able to help me best...searching the internet has been useless...

i'd really like to go to india to help run or set up a clinic this upcoming summer before i go to med school (bilkul i'm from TX too)...do you all know of any good programs?

thanks!

DoctorMalki said:
We were by north shore i believe? I don't even remember the street but ti was great. I was pretty shocked with how expensive parking was there. I think we ended up paying 27$ for parking a few hours. The best part about the trip was the stuffed pizza at giordanos(sp?) lol
I really liked RF I hope I get in ! Th school was great and they have a 100% match list . I would love to go there ! What is your top choice school?

Downtown is fun, and YES the parking is expensive. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way :(. I have never been to Giordanos, but I have seen their billboard advertisements. It didn't seem like a big vegetarian place.

I hope u get ur RF acceptance soon :luck: . I am looking into UIC-Chicago right now.

IllinoisStudent said:
Downtown is fun, and YES the parking is expensive. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way :(. I have never been to Giordanos, but I have seen their billboard advertisements. It didn't seem like a big vegetarian place.

I hope u get ur RF acceptance soon :luck: . I am looking into UIC-Chicago right now.

lol i had their stuffed vegetable pizza it was amazing ! Still no word from RF for me or UIC actually. I called them last week and they told me that since I am out of state my application hasn't been looked over yet. GoodLuck with UIC !! :) :luck:

cluelesspremed said:
hey guys...

i just browsed into this forum and thought you guys might be able to help me best...searching the internet has been useless...

i'd really like to go to india to help run or set up a clinic this upcoming summer before i go to med school (bilkul i'm from TX too)...do you all know of any good programs?

thanks!

We are as clueless as you are . Fact of the matter is that India has very few, if any, structured programs for any kind of community service activity.

I am a bit curious. If you are an NRI and have been graduated in a foreign country like UK or USA . Can you practice in India? HOw can you get registration from medical council of India in order to be able to practice in India. Does anyone know about this????