NRM, extraction, distillation, crystallization, genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
the princteon review study guide that i have talks about these methods to purify things, extraction, crystallization, distillation, i have read the description of these many times and they all sound the same to me, i just dont get them. the kaplan review doesnt even mention them. are these required topics for the mcat?

for the IR spectroscopy, is it nexessary to know certain peaks, or they will provide a table?

finally, for genetics, is it just punnett squares or the more complicated stuff are also possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's important to get a general idea of what each method does, the similarities/differences, and when to use what method. From practice problems, I've encountered questions that require some knowledge of these processes. (i.e. how would you purify unknown A from B if they are....)

NMR and IR - same idea as the methods. Know the big picture. I'm not sure for NMR how detailed they can get, but for IR I've seen some questions about the different IR peaks. Know the most importants ones (i.e. Carbonyl stretch at 1700, O-H is a broad peak at
3600-3300, etc...)

Genetics is more than punnett squares. You also should know how to intepret pedigrees and maybe some Hardy Weinberg stuff too.