NRMP and Program "Regulations"

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Winged Scapula, May 4, 2001.

1. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In another, earlier thread, another poster and I discussed what the regulations were for programs to participate in the NRMP. In short, he had applied to some programs which required Step 2 but didn't note this in their on-line or paper information packages and I had a similar problem with ECFMG certification and the California Status Letter.

I called the NRMP yesterday and their response was, "ECFMG certification is required to be in the match." I explained to him :eek: that CERTIFICATION was NOT required to be in the match, only that you have taken the relevant exams and passed them prior to ROL day. You could certainly apply and remain in the match without a certificate. He didn't respond to that.

RE: Step 2 and California Status Letter, "Doesn't matter. The programs can set whatever requirements they want." When I inquired as to whether it was considered "ethical" to set such requirements but basically not tell applicants, he again responded, "Doesn't matter."

Me: "Doesn't the NRMP have any requirements for application and information sources for programs to participate?" NRMP: "No."

Me:"So programs can require information but NOT tell the applicants its required and still charge applicants who have NO chance of acceptance because they are unaware of the additional requirements?" NRMP: "Yes." Me: "And there is no process of refunding monies to applicants who have applied in good faith to programs who are not fully disclosing their application requirements?" NRMP: "No. You agreed to the no refund policy when you signed up for the NRMP and applied through ERAS."

Frankly, he was rather rude and either was restricted from participating in a conversation with me about the issue or just didn't give a damn. I still find it hard to believe that the NRMP wouldn't have some protocol for programs to abide by when participating.

[​IMG]
    :mad: :eek: :confused:

2. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What a typical response- more anti-FMG sentiments :( Thanks for going through that frustration and posting the information.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sure Annette - glad to help. I don't know if the clerk who "assisted" me was "anti-FMG" because I also said I had friends who were American students who weren't told they had to take Step 2 to apply to some programs as well and the response was the same.

It is extremely frustrating because I expect that when I pay for a service in good faith that I will receive the service. In this case, it appears wrong to me that the NRMP allows programs to participate without requiring them to fully disclose their requirements to applicants.

I think this is an issue for AMSA. I will direct their attention to this.

4. Dreamer

Dreamer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thank you, Kimberli,

Now I have some ideas why I was told "Thanks but no thanks" quite a few times in addition to other explanations.
    By the way who can explain me why does NRMP exist if there is no unified system. I mean it looks they charge money and run through an algoritm and thats it.