NRMP ROL List - Anything to do after Certifying ROL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supercomp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, after you certify your rank list and pay applicable fees, is there anything else that needs to be done on the NRMP website? Any other button to click to finalize stuff further?

Members don't see this ad.

So, after you certify your rank list and pay applicable fees, is there anything else that needs to be done on the NRMP website? Any other button to click to finalize stuff further?

I think there's a button marked "crack open a frosty beer." You should probably click that one.

Once you get the green "ROL Certified" on your page, you're golden.

Reactions: 1 user
if you are paranoid like me, you can also call nrmp and ask if your ROL is certified.

if you are paranoid like me, you can also call nrmp and ask if your ROL is certified.

Wow, you don't trust the green "Certified ROL" at the top of the website or the email they send you with the exact "stamped" time of certification every time you certify or re-certify?

OP - I think all you can do at that point is have a drink, relax and pray... lol. Best of luck! :xf:

Wow, you don't trust the green "Certified ROL" at the top of the website or the email they send you with the exact "stamped" time of certification every time you certify or re-certify?

OP - I think all you can do at that point is have a drink, relax and pray... lol. Best of luck! :xf:

Second that!

Remember to print out your certified rank list and to save the e-mail confirming your time of last certification.

:biglove: :luck: :biglove:

On sort of the same topic...I tried to switch my 4 and 5 yesterday. The list on the main page refuses to change, but the "print list" shows up right. Has this happened to anyone else? Which should I believe is the real list? I tried logging out and back in, which didn't change anything...

:luck:
I've never logged onto that site since I registered in November... :)

Does anyone look at that "Certified ROL" on their ranking page and see, for a split second, automatically and without being able to help it, LOL? Or ROTFL?

On sort of the same topic...I tried to switch my 4 and 5 yesterday. The list on the main page refuses to change, but the "print list" shows up right. Has this happened to anyone else? Which should I believe is the real list? I tried logging out and back in, which didn't change anything...

That hasn't happened to me.
I would call up NRMP if the problem persists.

Remember to print out your certified rank list and to save the e-mail confirming your time of last certification.
Our school told us to print the list as well, and then gave some story of how "printing has saved students in the past". I wanted to call bullsh*t, but that's a battle that's not worth fighting.

What does printed proof do for you? If you registered for NRMP but did not submit a list, or if you did submit but it wasn't recorded, do you get an email? I don't understand where it's of benefit.

We were told some horsesh*t story about how a person was told they didn't match on scramble day, and then the school called NRMP and NRMP said the stuudent didn't submit a list, and then the student was miraculously saved by showing the printed list, and then was able to match, or some fairy tale like that.

All that having been said, please believe that I have several copies of my printed ROL in various strategic locations (my apt, my white coat, my school locker, my car, etc).

dc

Our school told us to print the list as well, and then gave some story of how "printing has saved students in the past". I wanted to call bullsh*t, but that's a battle that's not worth fighting.

What does printed proof do for you? If you registered for NRMP but did not submit a list, or if you did submit but it wasn't recorded, do you get an email? I don't understand where it's of benefit.

We were told some horsesh*t story about how a person was told they didn't match on scramble day, and then the school called NRMP and NRMP said the stuudent didn't submit a list, and then the student was miraculously saved by showing the printed list, and then was able to match, or some fairy tale like that.

All that having been said, please believe that I have several copies of my printed ROL in various strategic locations (my apt, my white coat, my school locker, my car, etc).

dc
By print, I am assuming you simply mean keep a record of it some form, right? I hate having papers, even important ones, so as much as possible, I cut and paste or scan important documents. This is all I am doing. Hadn't planned to print the ROL on paper.

By print, I am assuming you simply mean keep a record of it some form, right? I hate having papers, even important ones, so as much as possible, I cut and paste or scan important documents. This is all I am doing. Hadn't planned to print the ROL on paper.

To be useful, it has to be a true copy of what appears on the site. If you are cutting and pasting, a claim of doctoring can be made. So no, you have to print out from their system, as it appears on your screen. You can probably scan it in after, but DO NOT cut and paste. The whole point is that it has to be evidence that you did things right, not something that can be alleged that you created after the fact. So if it looks exactly like it appears on their screen, you have some evidence. If it is just the info, but not the format, you are SOL.

It's the same as making a copy of your tax return before sending it in. You don't just type the info into your computer, you actually make a photocopy, so you can show it was completed if it ever gets questioned. No cutting and pasting.

I don't like to print stuff on paper unless I absolutely have to either. You can go to the Certified page and click print, then save it as a PDF. On my PC, I could save it to "MS Office Document Image Writer"- same effect.

I can print it out if need be (doubtful) and it'll have the time/date stamp at the bottom, exactly like if I'd printed it from NRMP in January... except I don't have the worry of losing the paper in the intervening 2 months between certifying and Match day.

... except I don't have the worry of losing the paper in the intervening 2 months between certifying and Match day.

No, but you have to worry about computer crashes, viruses, bad disks, etc. It's still not a bad idea to keep a copy of important stuff in non-electronic format, even if you do save it primarillly on pdf.

No, but you have to worry about computer crashes, viruses, bad disks, etc. It's still not a bad idea to keep a copy of important stuff in non-electronic format, even if you do save it primarillly on pdf.

Well, you could e-mail the pdf to yourself and archive it on a folder reserved for important stuff on your e-mail(which is what I do).

I also archive important stuff on my computer (which automatically gets backed up online regularly). In case my comp crashes/gets lost/stolen I can retrieve my saved docs wherever I may be.

dc

I agree, I can't imagine how a printed copy would 'save' you if the nrmp claims there wasn't a certified list saved on 2/25, especially since they so clearly emphasize that certified lists, once changed, are no longer saved in any way in the system and must be recertified.

How does having a printed out list prove in any way that you hadn't certified your list, printed but then changed it later and forgot to recertify?

How does having a printed out list prove in any way that you hadn't certified your list, printed but then changed it later and forgot to recertify?

Are you sure the old certification doesn't exist once you start changing things? I think you are possible misunderstanding this (or I am). I would think the old list exists until you recertify a new one. I had assumed what they were saying is that any changes you make after certifying don't get looked at until you re-certify, not that the old certification disappears. But I suppose I could be wrong.

Are you sure the old certification doesn't exist once you start changing things? I think you are possible misunderstanding this (or I am). I would think the old list exists until you recertify a new one. I had assumed what they were saying is that any changes you make after certifying don't get looked at until you re-certify, not that the old certification disappears. But I suppose I could be wrong.

I was under the impression that once you make changes to the list, your status goes back to "RANKING" and there is no list saved at that point. If you log out and don't re-certify then you are still in "RANKING" mode, and there is no saved list (not even the old one) because you started making changes.

I understood it as MedObsession does- that once you edit your list, the old (certified) one is lost. So if you don't certify list B, then you don't have list A either, and you can't match.

And I do back-up my important files (of which there are relatively few!) in my webmail account... so if my Mac gets a virus AND my Certified list is lost on NRMP AND someone hacks my email simultaneously, I'm screwed. But it's a chance I knowingly accept.

If you read the instructions, they're pretty clear about the fact that your old list disappears entirely from the system as soon as you make any kind of change, and that you must recertify in order for your list to be used. If you fail to recertify, you'll get that message on Black Monday saying "you did not match because you did not submit a rank list."

If you read the instructions, they're pretty clear about the fact that your old list disappears entirely from the system as soon as you make any kind of change, and that you must recertify in order for your list to be used. If you fail to recertify, you'll get that message on Black Monday saying "you did not match because you did not submit a rank list."

OK. Good to know. Best not to play with it then.

...so does anyone have any idea how printing it "helps"? I print my confirmation numbers for hotels and car rentals, so that I can show them something with their letterhead/logo on it, in the very rare event that they act like I haven't actually made a reservation. This actually helped me once.

But I fail to see how I can prove anything by printing it. Whatever. I already did.

Good luck, y'all. We're gettin' close, no?

dc

But I fail to see how I can prove anything by printing it. Whatever. I already did.

Printing it cannot possibly help. You could easily spoof it. Simply save the webpage to your desktop, edit the HTML, and you could make your list look like anything.

If the NRMP wanted to do something like this, they would need to take your list and the date/time stamp when certified, run it through a one way algorithm, and generate a "check string". This would allow them to confirm that the printed document was not spoofed (as long as no one knows the one way function key). It would still be impossible to tell if someone certified their list, then changed it and forgot to recertify.

The NRMP can't simply fix a problem like this anyway. Let's say it really happens (which it doesn't). So you don't match, but you should have -- it creates a cascading failure. If you match into program X, then the last person on their rank list gets bumped off -- then that person needs to match into their next program, etc, until someone ends up in a slot that was destined for the scramble, or another applicant fails to match into their last spot on their list and ends up in the scramble.

If a problem like this really happened, even once, the integrity of the scramble would collapse.

IIRC, it happened to the Urology match a few years ago. 2006 I think?

It did. Somehow the entire match was screwed up. It was a nightmare, as people were told that their first "matches" were cancelled, and then waited for another match.

I am amazed the urology match survived. The only reason it did was because it is run by the AUA, and because it is very competitive. Since they control board certification, they can do anything they want.

Once you get the green "ROL Certified" on your page, you're golden.

[youtube]xZnSzgNM_Y0[/youtube]

Give me the green light...I'm ready to go right noowwwww. Is it match day yet?

Last edited: